• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I don't think majority of key talent still at Blizzard from prime era. Blizzard North got closed. Morhaime, Pardo, Didier, Kaplan left Blizzard.

They still have talented devs like Metzen, Cheng, Chilton but Blizzard needs to abandon their monetization policy. They need to focus on PC rather than mobile and even console. Well as a console main player for my life I think some games become more casual for console audience lately. Old Blizzard titles were focused on PC and then ported to consoles. Diablo is great example. Compared to first two games Diablo IV looks like basic MMO.

lairo

May 28, 2020
This might be the first time we've wanted an acquisition to be extremely hands on, and change as much as possible. Blizzard today should absolutely not just be Blizzard.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think majority of key talent still at Blizzard from prime era. Blizzard North got closed. Morhaime, Pardo, Didier, Kaplan left Blizzard.

They still have talented devs like Metzen, Cheng, Chilton but Blizzard needs to abandon their monetization policy. They need to focus on PC rather than mobile and even console. Well as a console main player for my life I think some games become more casual for console audience lately. Old Blizzard titles were focused on PC and then ported to consoles. Diablo is great example. Compared to first two games Diablo IV looks like basic MMO.

I wonder what the Diablo franchise would look like if things turned out differently with Blizzard North/Condor. David Brevik ended up making another absolute banger ARPG (RIP Marvel Heroes, it started rough and had a pitiful end, but its peak was amazing). Diablo 3 certainly would have been a different and probably better game at the very least.

Or not. With Activision and everything else going on, it's hard to imagine any single change in a vacuum.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
This might be the first time we've wanted an acquisition to be extremely hands on, and change as much as possible. Blizzard today should absolutely not just be Blizzard.

WoW is in a fantastic state, Diablo is making great strides in season 4 and the Overwatch team just made a lot of really positive monetization changes. What team/game do you think needs a more hands-on approach from MS?

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
This means nothing. It hasn't been that long yet. Everything is fine till profits are taking a hit, and the finance teams start looking at the waste. In any acquisition they are looking to avoid attrition, unless they want to force it. Time will tell, but history isnt in their favor lol.

David Matter

Apr 16, 2024
i love blizzard and i love xbox, but i dont know if this will be forever true, big entities arent friends of anyone when profits are at stake

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Old Blizzard, outside of people like Metzen, is long gone and yes, they were the ones who created the things we loved. But as someone said above: we shouldn't let Blizzard be Blizzard TOO much.

What exists is a team that is trying to replicate their successes, within their IPs, without being as toxic or destructive as well as creating new IPs with the same list of Blizzard core values (yes, there's a list) created near the beginning of the company's founding. They're hiring people who are comfortable in these worlds and can expand on these worlds. Yes, it might feel different because the people who created the tone are gone for the most part, and that's the most difficult thing to have to accept. "The chuds are gone however the chuds were creative and made something I liked" is something we just have to accept is better as it is now than it was then.

Blizzard is much more than a small group of mostly white guys from the 90s. They created a standard and a vision that now a diverse group of hundreds of people are representing.

At this point, Microsoft just needs to makes sure they are allowed a comfortable and safe environment and that's literally it. Pay the bills, give them benefits, don't lay off people for fuck's sake, and let Blizzard be Blizzard CREATIVELY and they're gonna be happy with their investment.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
Some very baffling responses in this thread.

For one there have been significant leadership changes across almost every single Blizzard team since the lawsuit, so this idea that people just did absolutely nothing in the wake of the lawsuit is pretty false. Not only that, but most Blizzard games are widely considered by their communities to be on the mend in recent months, WoW especially. By every account from people I know who play WoW, the game is in one of it's strongest states since 2011.

I think the idea that Blizzard has no talented people left, especially at a company that employs as many people as they currently do, is categorically ridiculous. Most of the recent decisions that have infuriated people that aren't directly related to the lawsuit are the result of Activision C-Suite taking a more active heavy-handed approach.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

For one there have been significant leadership changes across almost every single Blizzard team since the lawsuit, so this idea that people just did absolutely nothing in the wake of the lawsuit is pretty false. Not only that, but most Blizzard games are widely considered by their communities to be on the mend in recent months, WoW especially.

I think the idea that Blizzard has no talented people left, especially at a company that employees as many people as they currently do, is categorically ridiculous. Most of the recent decisions that have infuriated people that aren't directly related to the lawsuit are the result of Activision C-Suite taking a more active heavy-handed approach.

I can't really begrudge anyone for just swearing off Blizzard entirely in the fallout of everything that came to light over the past few years, given the nature and severity of it all. But I do agree that it's unfortunate that is sort of where a lot of folks interest on the topic begins and ends, since there have clearly been positive changes both in terms of personnel and overarching company policies in the last year or so. It is sadly ironic (although understandable) that a thread about an interview with someone who is like, the poster child for a positive new direction for Blizzard, is still heavily weighed down by things the company did before she was a part of it. And that's to say nothing of the "all the good devs are gone" narrative.

Tommy Showbiz

Jul 20, 2022
I can't really begrudge anyone for just swearing off Blizzard entirely in the fallout of everything that came to light over the past few years, given the nature and severity of it all. But I do agree that it's unfortunate that is sort of where a lot of folks interest on the topic begins and ends, since there have clearly been positive changes both in terms of personnel and overarching company policies in the last year or so. It is sadly ironic (although understandable) that a thread about an interview with someone who is like, the poster child for a positive new direction for Blizzard, is still heavily weighed down by things the company did before she was a part of it. And that's to say nothing of the "all the good devs are gone" narrative.

Yeah, I get it completely if people just don't want anything to do with Blizzard ever again after everything that went down. I just wish people would be a bit more forthcoming that this was the case instead of trying to posture that the thing they actually want is for Blizzard's employees to be under total lock and key by management again.

I guarantee you not a single person working at Blizzard, y'know the people who were historically the victims in all this, are actually wanting a return to that.

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft replaced Ybarra and is allowing and trusting new leadership to ensure that things are running properly.

This is how it should be. Put good people at the top of publishers and studios and trust that they can handle it and if they can't, trust that they will reach out for help.

The idea of Blizzard getting to pretend like the parents are gone and they are throwing a party is insane.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021

For one there have been significant leadership changes across almost every single Blizzard team since the lawsuit, so this idea that people just did absolutely nothing in the wake of the lawsuit is pretty false. Not only that, but most Blizzard games are widely considered by their communities to be on the mend in recent months, WoW especially. By every account from people I know who play WoW, the game is in one of it's strongest states since 2011.

I think the idea that Blizzard has no talented people left, especially at a company that employs as many people as they currently do, is categorically ridiculous. Most of the recent decisions that have infuriated people that aren't directly related to the lawsuit are the result of Activision C-Suite taking a more active heavy-handed approach.
I really wonder what happened to Blizzard. They released all-time great games back in 90s and early 2000s when they were just a small studio with bunch of young people.

They are much bigger studio now. And I am sure that they have talented folks in there. But why they can't release iconic games they used to?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I really wonder what happened to Blizzard. They released all-time great games back in 90s and early 2000s when they were just a small studio with bunch of young people.

They are much bigger studio now. And I am sure that they have talented folks in there. But why they can't release iconic games they used to?
Because Activision/Kotick took control in the late 2000s and has slowly but surely took power. I imagine Schreiers book will go into detail about it all.

Who knows how things will end up over the next ten to twenty years now though.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Because Activision/Kotick took control in the late 2000s and has slowly but surely took power. I imagine Schreiers book will go into detail about it all.

Who knows how things will end up over the next ten to twenty years now though.

everyone likes to blame Activision, but the issues were cropping up before. i'm not convinced of Kotick being the bogeyman as far as Blizzard is concerned

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on what you're looking for. OW was their last new game and it certainly was iconic. What's extra funny about OW is the game and its future was entirely fumbled by the old guard of Blizzard stuck in their ways trying to work towards something they already failed at once.

The reality is releasing a good game is hard enough. Following up on it with more is even harder.

As an OW fan I can't be more thankful the team has pivoted entirely away from where it was going because I get to play a game now instead of talking about how great their idea that they just cannot finish and release could have been.

Odyssey is on that list now too.

Not to say there wasn't other things that contributed, but I will always be upset they almost nuked the game chasing after Titan again.

Last edited:

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Depends on what you're looking for. OW was their last new game and it certainly was iconic. What's extra funny about OW is the game and its future was entirely fumbled by the old guard of Blizzard stuck in their ways trying to work towards something they already failed at once.

The reality is releasing a good game is hard enough. Following up on it with more is even harder.

As an OW can I can't be more thankful the team has pivoted entirely away from where it was going because I get to play a game now instead of talking about how great their idea that they just cannot finish and release could have been.

Odyssey is on that list now too.

Not to say there wasn't other things that contributed, but I will always be upset they almost nuked the game chasing after Titan again.
As someone who really liked Overwatch back in 2016/2017, I find it pretty overrated. But I can't deny its success. Winning GOTY + 50 million sales is insane for multiplayer only game.

Excluding Heartstone which is my favorite Blizzard game in last 10 years, I don't remember when I really enjoyed from Blizzard game. I was really hyped for Diablo IV but it's one of my biggest disappointments in 2023. Even small indie studios can make better ARPGs then Blizzard now. WoW is better state than what it used to be in 4-5 years ago but still far from older glory.

Blizzard really needs to abandon mobile focus and their monetization policy. Blizzard was PC studio at and they should focus on PC. I don't want casual games from them.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard really needs to abandon mobile focus and their monetization policy. Blizzard was PC studio at and they should focus on PC. I don't want casual games from them.

it feels pretty premature to say that they are focusing on mobile over PC. They have what... 2 mobile games? 3 if you count hearthstone? The tentpole franchises are still firmly PC/console-centric.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I don't want Microsoft to touch WoW at all. Right now the narrative looks like its finally heading back in the right direction again. Especially with Metzen helping construct it.

If anything, I hope Blizzard gets at least nudged to make a new Warcraft or Starcraft again. Instead of just sticking to Diablo, WoW, Hearthstone and Overwatch.

00Quan[T]

Banned
May 12, 2022
Eh... I feel like they should get more involved in general with their studios.
Some fly just fine alone, but others clearly struggle hard.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
it feels pretty premature to say that they are focusing on mobile over PC. They have what... 2 mobile games? 3 if you count hearthstone? The tentpole franchises are still firmly PC/console-centric.
Diablo IV feels like Diablo Immortal with fancy visuals for me. UI and skill tree feels like mobile game. Meanwhile Path of Exile is much deeper game. Closer to Diablo II.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

October 8!

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Diablo 4 is pure meme fuel

The super comeback of season 4 is the feedback of the comunity since de first open beta a year ago....

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
everyone likes to blame Activision, but the issues were cropping up before. i'm not convinced of Kotick being the bogeyman as far as Blizzard is concerned

Agreed. It seems like Activision's involvement has been mostly about controlling their budget. And it's hard not to blame them when the community is aware of like 8 projects that Blizzard has canned in that timeframe. Who knows what other projects they began cooking before getting canned.

JasperMyst