• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
twisted-metal-1280x813.jpg

Last year VGC reported that a new car combat instalment – which by release, would be the series' first in over a decade – had started early development at the Liverpool, UK-based Destruction All-Stars developer Lucid games.

However, VGC has been told that the project has since ceased development at Lucid and, according to sources, Sony has decided to instead move the series revival to one of its first-party studios in Europe.

It's understood Sony still intends to bring back the car combat series in time to coincide with an upcoming TV series in 2023, and early work has begun at the unnamed first-party studio.

Sources did not provide an explanation for the change of developer. However, one person suggested that the poor reception to Lucid's PS5 title Destruction All-Stars could have contributed to the decision.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Sources: Sony switches Twisted Metal reboot developer | VGC

A series revival is no longer in development at Destruction All-Stars studio Lucid…

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of any studio in Europe who can work on this other than Firesprite or London studio.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm sure this game will eventually be great and not end up on an episode of Wha Happun? In a few years.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm sorry for Lucid, I think Destruction Allstars had potential, and another try in the car combat genre would have worked really good.

I hope they don't get into problems.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand who is asking for this game. And now it appears to have some level of troubled development on top of the general lack of interest?

Seems like this might be a disaster.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised Sony's bringing this back. Unless it's ftp, I doubt there's going to be much interest in Twisted Metal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand who is asking for this game. And now it appears to have some level of troubled development on top of the general lack of interest?

It really does seem like a weird franchise for Sony to be trying so hard to revive. It's like some exec really really wanted the TV series to be a thing so they're desperate to have a game to put out alongside it despite the fact virtually no one was asking for either thing.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Guerilla are already working on 2 large projects as well as helping Firesprite with Horizon call of the mountain. I don't think they have the capacity to work on yet another project internally.
Guerrila are in Amsterdam, Housemarque are in Helsinki.

Doubt it's either of them though, surely?
I meant who I think can work on this, not in Europe in general. They have Mm as well but I don't think they're working on the game either.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I feel bad for Lucid if true, but glad it was taken in-house rather than canceled. They deserved another opportunity after DAS but maybe Sony sees this as a prestige project now based on the TV series' potential.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Just cancel it. Don't waste multiple developers' time and resources on Twisted Metal of all things. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck to Lucid, though. Being thrown off a project has to hurt them.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

it probably made to release at the same time as the T.V. show like how i'm pretty sure the TLOU HBO show will coincide with the TLOU Remake and Factions i'm assuming

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Taken away from a 'UK-based developer' and given to 'one of it's first party studios in Europe' makes it sound like it's a non-UK studio, which only leaves Housemarque or Guerrila.

Maybe just clunky writing though. Europe could obviously still mean a UK dev (Firesprite, MM, London).

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woah. I'd guess it's with Firesprite now? I'd love to know why Sony lost faith in Lucid version as DAS seemed like a decent gameplay base to create a Twisted Metal game.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
London's working on an online game for whatever it's worth.

Taken away from a 'UK-based developer' and given to 'one of it's first party studios in Europe' makes it sound like it's a non-UK studio, which only leaves Housemarque or Guerrila.

Maybe just clunky writing though. Europe could obviously still mean a UK dev (Firesprite, MM, London).

It says from the UK-based Lucid to one of Sony's own European studios.

I'm pretty sure they're just saying Lucid is based out of the UK just to describe where it is, and Sony decided to give it to one of its own studios in Europe instead, which would include the UK.

Deleted member 31423

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The real story here is Sony shutting down Lucid game Studio if this rumor is true.

Edit. Ok Sony doesnt own Lucid. I thought they did. But Lucid is looking pretty dead. Surviving destruction allstars and this rumor back to back will be tough.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am sure I am going to get heavily quoted on this.... but is there even a point in a new Twisted Metal game beside just having something for the TV show?
Anyway, the natural conclusion is Firesprite as they are also in Liverpool.
The real story here is Sony shutting down Lucid game Studio if this rumor is true.
Sony doesnt own Lucid.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I'm surprised Sony's bringing this back. Unless it's ftp, I doubt there's going to be much interest in Twisted Metal.
Maybe its the nostalgia talking, but those games were pure fun back in the day. Dont see why it can't be translated to modern platform.Just amp up the ridiculous action and make it a great split screen + multiplayer game. Seems very much like a game that could be fun to stream, or watch for that matter.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am sure I am going to get heavily quoted on this.... but is there even a point in a new Twisted Metal game beside just having something for the TV show?

I was interested if it was Lucid because I genuinely really liked Destruction Allstars and saw potential in a second go at car combat but not that interested if it's someone else unrelated. Don't really care about Twisted Metal in 2022 enough to be excited by name alone.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I wonder what ideas they have in mind for Twisted Metal.
It can't just be some "normal" shooting cars game, if they really hold on to the game and make a TV series.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Lucid catching L's with Sony left and right.

I assume they'll be finding a new partner.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

Agreed. Like, who really wants a Twisted Metal reboot and TV show. Feels bonkers.

But then again they are also remaking 2013's The Last of Us.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It really just seems like it's this. The question I'm asking, though, is who thought a Twisted Metal TV show would be a good idea in the first place?

I thought they did. Either way. Lucid probably wont survive much longer.

I mean as sad as it is when a studio shuts down, it's not Sony's responsibility to keep studios they don't own alive. Maybe Lucid can get a pitch greenlit by another publisher.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I feel for Lucid Games. DAS was a game set for failure and mismanaged from the jump. Hope they can get work on another project shortly

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I want a new Twisted Metal, but Destruction All-Stars kinda stunk.

My ideal Twisted Metal is probably different than what they'll end up making, though. I like exploring sprawling levels with lots of secret areas and stuff, but they're probably going with a smaller arena shooter.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well, hoping for the best I guess.
IIRC job listings still say that Lucid is working with a first party publisher so depending on when this decision was made they might still be working for Sony but on something else.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Still aiming for a 2023 release seems rough for that new team. Unless it's maybe a light release with low content, which was one of the things that hurt Destruction All-Stars.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lucid did post job openings recently

Lucid Games - Careers

If you are looking for the next step in your career, check out our latest roles in game design, programming, art, production on our careers page.

Design features and systems that support the creative and game directions (e.g. Aiming systems, weapon behaviour, AI behaviours, boss fights and enemies, combat modes, player engagement, etc).

We're looking for an experienced Open world / RPG Systems Designer to join our team!

Design player progression systems and any other progression system related to PVE and PVP narrative goals.

Collaborate with the designers towards the game economy (type of resources, use, location, etc)

We are looking for a talented multiplayer programmer to join our experienced team and work on an exciting next generation multiplayer game.