--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
According to people who were in attendance, Square Enix president Takashi Kiryu said that both the company's American and European arms would be hit with layoffs, which will happen over the course of the next month.

The scale of the layoffs wasn't shared, but staff were told that people working in publishing, IT, and Square Enix's Collective indie games division would be predominantly affected.

Those affected will be informed this week. In the UK, employees will enter into a one-month consultancy period, as per local employment law, while US-based staff could leave their roles before June.

Following the internal meetings on Monday, many of Square Enix's main Slack channels were locked, VGC was told.

VGC has asked Square Enix for comment on this story.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Square Enix confirms US, EU layoffs as part of restructuring | VGC

Publishing, IT, and Square Enix’s Collective indie games label are affected…

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive Commentary over a Series of Posts
We're never seeing DQX Offline in the west, are we?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone work in this industry. They're treated like shit.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly not surprising. You can't have 50 threads about FF cratering and expect them to not downsize in this environment. At least it's not, hey our HD games have made 50 bazillion in profit, lets cut costs.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
I mean, they've sold off their western studios. They don't really need that many people in their western offices.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
we understand that this news is shocking and saddening but please be excited for all the games we are gonna show in June!!!!!!

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
When I read the part about making changes overseas in the previous topic, I was worried that this topic was going to pop up. Fucking A.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this sucks. The Square's indie collective is who published Powerwash Simulator which is a hit as far as indie games go.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Its everywhere in the game industry now I guess. Sucks for us gamers and of course people losing jobs. Depressing.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Especially sucks since this is largely self-inflicted due to SE's weird insistence on latching onto archaic 3rd party exclusivity practices

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"Square Enix's Collective indie games division would be predominantly affected"

Urgh. Love these folk.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
When I read the blurb in the financial report about rebuilding the US/EU branches from ground up, I was like "that sounds like layoffs." Didn't think it would be immediately. Sucks.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as i saw the financials today i knew this was coming.

Already reached out to friends to make sure they are ok

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they've sold off their western studios. They don't really need that many people in their western offices.

1. Employees are still needed for IT and publishing/localization especially in the West
2. This is one hell of a slap in the face to react with layoff news with "well they didn't need that many people anyway", what in the hell

slorelli

Nov 1, 2017
Ohio
Everyone who complains about game quality, game development time etc., look no further than the bank accounts of the company executives/investors/board members who run these companies. They care nothing for game devs, gamers or the industry in general, just their yearly profits.

I'll echo what others have said - devs are treated like absolute garbage but these companies know they can always rely on new/passionate developers who are starving for work or trying to break into the industry to jump on board when needed. Disgusting...

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I have to think that Indie division is going to be pretty much gone. IT and publishing, I dunno, maybe there's leftovers from when they owned Eidos? Wouldn't think they could cut publishing too much when they're talking about the need to reinvest in marketing

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to see it, but I hope the layoffs aren't too severe. It definitely seems like Square is going to start consolidating around a smaller number of higher-profile titles instead of publishing 20+ games every year and being shocked when 70% of them turboflop like Infinity Strash and Foamstars did.

Foolhardy

May 4, 2024
Why not shitcan the ones that chased after NFT's? Oh right, they're the ones doing the firings.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, hopefully their collective stuff doesn't hurt Forever's attempts at keeping Front Mission alive.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why not shitcan the ones that chased after NFT's? Oh right, they're the ones doing the firings.

The NFT stuff wasn't anywhere close to the cause of this. It's mostly Square is just rampantly overextended and putting out too many games per year for an audience that is shrinking, not growing, over time.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
When I read the part about making changes overseas in the previous topic, I was worried that this topic was going to pop up. Fucking A.
Restructurisation and layoffs always come in pairs. If anything, I'm surprised that people are surprised about this. Doesn't make it any better obviously.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, first they blamed it on mobile and then shut down multiple games in a few months, and now this…
Gonna bet we'll hear about another FF mobile game shutting down in a few month Brave Exvius

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, first they blamed it on mobile and then shut down multiple games in a few months, and now this…
Gonna bet we'll hear about another FF mobile game shutting down in a few month Brave Exvius

I mean Exvius is almost 7 years old. It was never going to run forever. It kinda needs to end at some point. That's the fate of all long-running gacha games.

edit OH GOD Exvius is almost ten years old that's even worse

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023

I mean Exvius is almost 7 years old. It was never going to run forever. It kinda needs to end at some point. That's the fate of all long-running gacha games.
If anything, Exvius was their mobile workhorse - they've already slashed so much of it, completely cutting almost all worldwide translations and it seems like it's running on a skeleton staff yet still brings in money for them. Dissidia Opera Omnia died for Exvius's sins.

I think they were talking more about FF7 Ever Crisis, the game that should have done well on IP alone, yet couldn't quite overcome their own monetization and messy programming. They already killed First Soldier in record time and I believe EC wasn't doing so hot on the recent sensor reports.