katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i'm just glad the streamer i been watching since high school is getting that paper with around 1.2-1.4k viewers same with max

only recently started watching GTA RP this year and it's funny how much all of those dudes make it was the first time i ever cared to watch big streams and their a nightmare but man do they get a lot of viewership but it makes even worse how much they talk about numbers and asking for subs with how much they make lol

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I looked at Lirik's twitter, who is no.10 on the earnings list.

He made a joke about trying to get into the top 5.

The replies are complete opposite to here. They took it seriously and are cheering him on and want to support more to get him there.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
With all this, I somehow feel like Giant Bomb missed the boat big time, when they were at the advent of the personality driven gaming content gig.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
With all this, I somehow feel like Giant Bomb missed the boat big time, when they were at the advent of the personality driven gaming content gig.

I doubt it, honestly. If anything I think they came along at the exact right moment. Yes, there are streamers who make more than them, but the vast majority of streamers are nowhere near that successful. I also don't think anyone at GB has ever wanted to work the kind of schedule a major streamer does.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, honestly. If anything I think they came along at the exact right moment. Yes, there are streamers who make more than them, but the vast majority of streamers are nowhere near that successful. I also don't think anyone at GB has ever wanted to work the kind of schedule a major streamer does.
You're right about the schedule, I find it easy to dismiss just how much the popular streamers need to stream, and consistently, to be where they are now. I do think, though, they could have leveraged their position in a way they hadn't. A bit more like how Nextlander has chosen to operate.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
You're right about the schedule, I find it easy to dismiss just how much the popular streamers need to stream, and consistently, to be where they are now. I do think, though, they could have leveraged their position in a way they hadn't. A bit more like how Nextlander has chosen to operate.
At one point waypoint basically tried to pivot to streaming, and Austin did a sort of postmortem on why it didn't really work for them. I imagine the situation would have been similar at GB. It's probably still around somewhere on their forums.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The replies are complete opposite to here. They took it seriously and are cheering him on and want to support more to get him there.
Yeah Era is a biiig bubble regarding streaming.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017

Dan seems to be doing ok with the twitch stream and his 'official paying job' tbh

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't watch Twitch, really. So I'm asking this in good faith:

I see headlines kind of spinning this like Twitch is in trouble since it leaked that the top earners are dominantly white men. But doesn't that just mean that viewers themselves are giving most of the money to white men? The spin makes it sound like Twitch is paying men more than women, but that all comes down to the subscribers / viewers / donations, right?

Is it that Twitch doesn't do a good enough job of promoting women and people of color? Sorry if this was already answered earlier in the thread.

Its possible thats just the majority of the platform demographic, and that a lot of recommendations are done by an algorithm to promote people that already have a following. I'm not sure how often channels get recommended that have under 10 viewers, and if they are, how many people actually click on those low viewer channels. Its probably in Twitch's best interest to promote channels that are already large. The key after all is to keep people on the platform watching, and guiding them to someone they know is popular, has a higher chance of that person sticking around and watching.

TBH though I don't really know how recommendations work, and I rarely even look at mine. If I start following a new channel, its because that streamer is related somehow to someone I already watch. Its possible that's how most people are, in that they don't actually explore and find new people to watch, its just people who know streamers they already watch.

I don't even remember the last time I followed a new person that wasn't at some point hosted/raided by someone I was already watching. I just don't care enough to explore and find new channels to watch.

There's also the fact that esports is dominated by men, and being a pro player is an easy way to start streaming with a following. xqc for example was a pro overwatch player before he went full time streaming, and now he's one of the largest on twitch.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This has really made me evaluate supporting twitch streamers or any streamers. I rarely did it, and never used my own money (prime sub). But seeing how much these people earn makes me jealous. I deleted my twitch account and I'm not going back.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This has really made me evaluate supporting twitch streamers or any streamers. I rarely did it, and never used my own money (prime sub). But seeing how much these people earn makes me jealous. I deleted my twitch account and I'm not going back.
It's better to give your $5 Prime to a streamer than to leave it with Bezos! You needn't give it to Ninja or Pokimane - find the a random with 50 viewers streaming whatever game you're into each month and give it to them :)

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like an unhealthy attitude. It was a prime sub so you weren't even directly paying, but just because the top 0.x% are wealthy you deleted the entire account??

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deleting your Twitch account because the top .1% of streamers makes good money is... well you do you I guess.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So..... tons of game headers (gta, fortnite, dota, csgo....) are showing a new picture...

9qhhTGW.jpg

It's not looking good for twitch lol

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

I mean most of his twitter followers will be viewers and fans of his stream so it's no surprise they are cheering him on lol.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
You could give it to Not popular steamers making almost Nothing.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people surprised that streamers who are on camera 72+ hours a week make a decent amount of money?

Yeah, it makes me jealous too but I don't envy the commitment that they have made to keep that money coming in. Most of these streamers have had to grind for years to get where they are. GrandPooBear is one of my favourites and he's busted his ass getting where he is.
Fair play to them, and thank you for the entertainment.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
It's not even the top 0.1%. It's the top 0.01%.

There's people in the top 1% not even earning minimum wage

Yep.

People dont understand how top sided this whole thing is. As an example, Apex Legends is the 5th most popular game on Twitch.

www.twitch.tv

Apex Legends - Twitch

Conquer with character in Apex Legends, a free-to-play Hero shooter where legendary characters with powerful abilities team up to battle for fame & fortune on the fringes of the Frontier. Master an ever-growing roster of diverse Legends, deep tactical squad play and bold new innovations that go...

Around 15 people have more than a thousand viewers right now. Those are making decent money ranging from "well off" to "can support myself off this comfortably". None of them making enough money to be in the top 100 from that list.

Around 30 have more than a hundred viewers. Most of them are making minimum wage at best. A lot of them not even that.

Everyone else is streaming in a void more or less making nothing. That is around 90% of the streamers there. Maybe 95%.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why was this any news to you to begin with sub counts are readily available you can make an educated guess on who makes what. Why change because someone makes good money? You pay for their entertainment, that's what they offer. Reading this thread there is some weird ass fucking takes on how much people make at their job.

It's like getting mad that a highly regarded chef makes 10x what you make working at mcdonalds. At the end of the day they provide a service and are paid for it. If you like them and want to support them you sub if not move on how much their income is should be completely irrelevant. You going to not go see a movie because the star makes 100 mill? Only watch movies where actors are paid significantly less? Not watch a show because the actors are making 7 figures an episode? This goes for most people in this thread. It doesn't matter if you don't find most of these people entertaining or fun or funny enough people do and get enough entertainment to throw them 5 bones.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Why was this any news to you to begin with sub counts are readily available you can make an educated guess on who makes what. Why change because someone makes good money? You pay for their entertainment, that's what they offer. Reading this thread there is some weird ass fucking takes on how much people make at their job.

It's like getting mad that a highly regarded chef makes 10x what you make working at mcdonalds. At the end of the day they provide a service and are paid for it. If you like them and want to support them you sub if not move on how much their income is should be completely irrelevant. You going to not go see a movie because the star makes 100 mill? Only watch movies where actors are paid significantly less? Not watch a show because the actors are making 7 figures an episode? This goes for most people in this thread. It doesn't matter if you don't find most of these people entertaining or fun or funny enough people do and get enough entertainment to throw them 5 bones.

this

folks say they want people to do well for themselves until they do then all of a sudden HOW DARE THEY

zuf

Oct 25, 2017

Just as weird as the over the top reactions to streamers making money.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Don't know if it's connected to this but someone has been trying to access my Amazon account for the past 2 days. I keep getting OTP codes sent to me and I've changed the password twice since this hack happened. Don't know what else to do.

Apr 25, 2020

Nmplol was ranked 137 out of 4000 and still got absolutely torched by donos lol (I guess you could say he had the last laugh)