Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I might be getting into the fighting genre again

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
But Era told me motion inputs are the easiest thing ever !
they are one of the easiest parts about fighting games to be fair (not talking about weird KoF midair stuff, but Street Fighter)
I like the simplified control scheme, it seems like a good pair of training wheels until you realize that having to do a qcf wasn't what kept you from winning. it kinda sucks that they reduce your options though, so a lot of the things you learn you then have to retrofit to the "normal" control scheme or playing against people with twice the move pool will fuck you up.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
they are one of the easiest parts about fighting games to be fair (not talking about weird KoF midair stuff, but Street Fighter)
I like the simplified control scheme, it seems like a good pair of training wheels until you realize that having to do a qcf wasn't what kept you from winning. it kinda sucks that they reduce your options though, so a lot of the things you learn you then have to retrofit to the "normal" control scheme or playing against people with twice the move pool will fuck you up.
They most definitely aren't one of the easiest parts, considering the entire genre revolves around movement and your actions.

Reducing the options does suck, not really sure how a casual would feel about relearning everything again with harder inputs.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
They most definitely aren't one of the easiest parts, considering the entire genre revolves around movement and your actions.

Reducing the options does suck, not really sure how a casual would feel about relearning everything again with harder inputs.
I was in the same camp, I thought being able to do clean fireballs was what kept me from winning. when I couldn't do clean motions, my problem wasn't doing clean motions, my problem was thinking my normals weren't big and flashy enough. oh and it does suck a lot. I thought the Persona auto combos were the tightest shit and when I had to go back and actually learn them, maaaaaaan

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not winning competitive isn't so much an issue as long as there are other things to do, which SF6 seems to provide. people are here for the characters and aesthetic, for the most part. learning DP motions doesn't stand much in the way of that

00Quan[T]

May 12, 2022
Modern scheme + World Tour, that's all you need to pull the casuals in.
This game is going to be massive at launch.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing her enthusiasm for how much the simple controls opens up the genre for her contrasted by the baked-in skill-ceiling of that control scheme makes the limitations a real bummer.

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Simplified Controls + World Tour will be enough for a casual fan to pick up the game, play it for awhile, never touch online, and say "man, I had a good time with Street Fighter VI, that was fun."

OGlol

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
So far this seems like a really good balance for bringing newcomers in and also maintain legacy players. While modern controls might be limited in a sense that's not necessarily a bad thing, these fighting games have so many layers of depth and a ton of info to learn it can be overwhelming to newcomers thinking they need to learn 1 frame links right off the bat to have fun. This will introduce more layered approach for newcomers, Modern controls until they get a hang of it and then go to standard, using non perfect inputs and then moving to perfect ones. It seems like the developers really have an intentional "roadmap" for helping newcomers while also maintaining what the legacy players want.

Now we just need to see how the world tour integrates the learning process for newcomers, i hope to see a robust training mode as well.

Oct 26, 2017

It's most definitely one of the easiest parts considering I learned to do hadokens and shoryukens in a few days when I was 11 playing on my friends' SNES, but still can't win against randoms when I play online.

Learning the motions is a tiny little bit of effort compared to the total time you can spend on these games. It's like learning the rules of chess, you only need to do it once.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely need to make concessions if using simplified special motions because the core gameplay, character properties, etc have and always will be balanced around them. Being able to do simple motions with no trade-offs would simply break what is at its core a head-to-head competitive game.

For single player and any non-ranked competitive modes where players willingly opt into simplified specials will no tradeoffs, sure go all out and let it be broken if that helps people get into it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Simple control users will likely hit a wall online where they're just getting wrecked but hopefully World Tour and a healthy player base where they can keep playing each other will encourage them to stick with the game.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
It's most definitely one of the easiest parts considering I learned to do hadokens and shoryukens in a few days when I was 11 playing on my friends' SNES, but still can't win against randoms when I play online.

Learning the motions is a tiny little bit of effort compared to the total time you can spend on these games. It's like learning the rules of chess, you only need to do it once.
Y'know when we have these discussions very often we have this image of somebody that never plays fighting games, but wants them to change to accommodate them. Given your example about the snes controller, I can't play fighting games with a controller. The pain my thumbs feel it's a pretty great reason to never touch a fighting game with motion inputs. I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't want physical pain when playing a video game.
The only way I can play a fighting game is with a keyboard.

I main R.Mika, I've hit high gold very close to hitting plat and I'm fully aware how uncomfortable motion inputs can be especially when you have to tie them in-between normals or other motions inputs.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm happy to see this. Might, maybe, get my wife in to playing it if she doesn't have to do a lot of complex stuff. We used to play DOA all the time for a while and that fell off years ago.

But Era told me motion inputs are the easiest thing ever !
Era also told you it's going to widen the skill gap between new players and EVO winners.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll allow players on modern controls to customize moves for each character. That way, they can pick exactly what moves their character can do, since they can't fit the entire toolkit into the modern controls. Seems like a decent compromise.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they'll allow players on modern controls to customize moves for each character. That way, they can pick exactly what moves their character can do, since they can't fit the entire toolkit into the modern controls. Seems like a decent compromise.

There's 0 chance of that happening.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know when we have these discussions very often we have this image of somebody that never plays fighting games, but wants them to change to accommodate them. Given your example about the snes controller, I can't play fighting games with a controller. The pain my thumbs feel it's a pretty great reason to never touch a fighting game with motion inputs. I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't want physical pain when playing a video game.
The only way I can play a fighting game is with a keyboard.

I main R.Mika, I've hit high gold very close to hitting plat and I'm fully aware how uncomfortable motion inputs can be especially when you have to tie them in-between normals or other motions inputs.
Guilty Gear strive killed me. Playing as Giovanna she has so many special cancels I was constantly inputting.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They probably chose the moves they did for balancing reasons. The extra moves are meant to be an incentive to learn the more complicated scheme

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Just a reminder that dnf duel comes out on Tuesday and does pretty much every thing in this video.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
Era also told you it's going to widen the skill gap between new players and EVO winners.
For EVO winners motions inputs practically don't exist, and new players barely manage to move their characters in a match let alone do a complicated motion input. Did you see the SFV streamer tournament on twitch?

Guilty Gear strive killed me. Playing as Giovanna she has so many special cancels I was constantly inputting.
Have you ever thought about getting good?
-Era

Last edited:

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
They probably chose the moves they did for balancing reasons. The extra moves are meant to be an incentive to learn the more complicated scheme
For someone who is able to get over the hump, absolutely. But for accessibility purposes, they should allow for people who would not be able to. Players are used to classic controls, I feel anyway, are already at a pretty big advantage. I don't see how it could cause balancing issues.

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
For someone who is able to get over the hump, absolutely. But for accessibility purposes, they should allow for people who would not be able to. Players are used to classic controls, I feel anyway, are already at a pretty big advantage. I don't see how it could cause balancing issues.

Imagine simplified sonic booms and flash kicks.

Edit: But I do feel like the entire moveset should be accessible if they were going to do this. People who only want to use simplified controls will definitely feel like they are missing out on a character's toolset.

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Sure.

FS_Geiger_5B.png
FS_Geiger_5C.png

There are ways to balance moves around simple inputs, you just have to do it.

I'm not sure why the assumption is that simplified input can only be slapped on haphazardly as an afterthought, aside from lingering PTSD from 3DS SFIV.

Last edited:

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Simplified controls will most likely be used for people that want to turn the game on, do cool shit and turn it off which I think they're aware of. It's not necessarily to get people started into learning but it'll probably somewhat help with that as well

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Sure.

FS_Geiger_5B.png
FS_Geiger_5C.png

I'm not sure why the assumption is that simplified input can only be slapped on haphazardly as an afterthought, aside from lingering PTSD from 3DS SFIV.

But that game is built from the ground up with simple inputs in mind. It seems that SFVI still looks as motion inputs as the main form of execution and has balanced it as such.

You're not wrong about this, but I feel that SFVI wasn't built from the ground up for full simplified control schemes.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Hopefully they add a footsie button for me so I can keep perfect spacing.
I laughed at this as a joke at first, but the more I thought about it a button press that includes a hop forward and a hop back for perfect footsie spacing in this easy mode actually isn't a bad idea at all. This will help people really understand the fundamentals in a real world applicable non-training mode way. This is low key a great idea.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: But I do feel like the entire moveset should be accessible if they were going to do this. People who only want to use simplified controls will definitely feel like they are missing out on a character's toolset.
Charge characters still charge with modern controls in Street Fighter 6.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
another FG thread and its another thread about people who clearly dont even play the genre making fun of people liking motion controls, saying how its the hardest part of learning the genre ( when its the easiest) and acting like motion controls are the devil.

like clockwork every time

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
I laughed at this as a joke at first, but the more I thought about it a button press that includes a hop forward and a hop back for perfect footsie spacing in this easy mode actually isn't a bad idea at all. This will help people really understand the fundamentals in a real world applicable non-training mode way. This is low key a great idea.

That would be a good idea. Hopefully training mode is pretty fleshed out and explains the concepts of spacing, frame advantage, and other fundamentals that are harder to grasp than move execution.

Charge characters still charge with modern controls in Street Fighter 6.

Oh ok. That's awesome. I'm guessing it is set up to where they can not move forward (boom) /remain standing (flash) while doing so?

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
another FG thread and its another thread about people who clearly dont even play the genre making fun of people liking motion controls, saying how its the hardest part of learning the genre ( when its the easiest) and acting like motion controls are the devil.

You can just write my name. This post is barely 1 page, it's pretty obvious who you are referring to.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Sure.

FS_Geiger_5B.png
FS_Geiger_5C.png

Problem with Fantasy Strike's method simplified method is the game loses some of the depth and options motion controls provide. With the not-Guile example above, simplifying charge moves to not pressing forward removes the strategies that involve the charge buffer. It's not something that casual fans would use, but it lowers the creativity and depth a character can potentially have.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Tons of games have macro dashes. People need to understand the concept of footsies first for it to be useful.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
You can just write my name. This post is barely 1 page, it's pretty obvious who you are referring to.

im browsing quick at work and I saw at least 1 other person also writing something similar/ agreeing with you, and I already the next pages will also be filled with similar comments, it happens every time.
I just get tired of it

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

I expect "Capcom Cup & EVO should require/SFVI would be better if everyone used/I'd be Diamond rank if everyone online used" simple input threads regularly for the next five years.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's important for people to know that if they're thinking about playing online, the simple controls are a learning tool meant to be used as a stepping stone to graduating to regular inputs. They are not meant to be something that puts you on an even playing field with someone using the regular control method.

I feel like there's going to be a lot of salt when this releases once new players realize that.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Problem with Fantasy Strike's method simplified method is the game loses some of the depth and options motion controls provide. With the not-Guile example above, simplifying charge moves to not pressing forward removes the strategies that involve the charge buffer. It's not something that casual fans would use, but it lowers the creativity and depth a character can potentially have.
All of that would still be available for the traditional input method. Any loss of depth between Guile and Fantasy Strike Not-Guile pales in comparison to Guile's neutered repertoire in SFVI's modern controls. The Fantasy Strike method would even retain the Perfect input by firing it off just as the meter fills.