• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Adult me thinks the tech behind all this is amazingly cool.

Child me would have been BLOWN THE FUCK AWAY to see this in real life.

Video is from the Rise of the Resistance opening ceremonies on Dec 4, 2019.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not having them flying over the audience sucks. I get why, but still.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I slightly teared up when watching a video of this for the first time, and I haven't seen a single second of a Star Wars movie.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's very cool. I hope they eventually are zooming over the land at random moments in the future (over the buildings/etc so it's safe for guests of course)

Oct 25, 2017
Wait they're drones and not some sort of holograms??
They are drones like the size of a car they also are just skeletal structures with lights that make them look solid
KLQZBA23GJCJRIKSEQPVBA4IFE.jpg

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, people saying they should go over the audience or zip, need to chill. Disney doesn't want another Vic Morrow situation.

That was pretty cool.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I'm sure Disney is super afraid of these things accidentally crashing into the audience. Fly overs aren't happening without a safety net of some sort.

Oct 25, 2017
They're not actually full size but they are quite large compared to your standard drone, and certainly do the trick from a distance.
Roughly the size of a family van means these are ~40% the size of a full X-Wing. A bit less than half.

dX1JV4nl.jpg

Really cool display and I wish they had stuff like this going on during nighttime park hours and not just one special event.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think real aerodynamics would make it possible, they are more helicopters than planes.
SUB-JP-OSPREY-jumbo.jpg

Eh the tech is there to do a more true version
Yo, people saying they should go over the audience or zip, need to chill. Disney doesn't want another Vic Morrow situation.

That was pretty cool.
I'm sure Disney is super afraid of these things accidentally crashing into the audience. Fly overs aren't happening without a safety net of some sort.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Kind of neat how they make them look solid but super cheesy in motion. I feel like they if they sped up the motion and pulsed the lights really bright Into black out when they jumped it would look better. Looks kind of sad seeing them slowly go behind the set piece.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That looked like shit. Maybe it is because I am watching on a tiny screen?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Honestly looks models being pulled along on string or something, even if it's cool in concept.

Maybe they can improve the drones they're using to make the movement a lot better?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of breaks the illusion if they're going to wobble like they're on strings anyway.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
They looked like they moved kinda slow

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Probably cooler in person just due to the scale, but on video, it was really underwhelming.

I was at the minimum hoping they'd fly around a bit more.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That was underwhelming. What makes them exciting is them whizzing around in the movies.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Man... the new x-wings just don't look as good as the old ones.

Child me would have been flipping out if he'd been there though.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I watched this as it happened and was super disappointed. I don't need it flying over the crowd, but I would've loved to see it zip off in a sudden burst of speed.

You know disney paid crazy bank for R&D with boeing. Why not make it more of a spectacle rather than the drones moving in a slow boring manner.