Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's about time Congress ended the program to buy up milk and cheese. All it does is encourage overproduction.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I don't know why, but I just prefer Almond milk. Been drinking it since 2015 and haven't looked back

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure there aren't guns hidden behind all that government cheese?

Please someone get this reference

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
As an adult, I can't see the reason why anybody is drinking milk from another animal. It's only useful in cooking.

But cheese. Cheese is an issue. I can't imagine not having cheese myself

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Keep making cheese and I'll keep buying with low prices. The rest of you can handle all the milk. I barely use the stuff besides in coffee and cooking.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I can kind of see the logic for the system of farm subsidies when you were dealing with a still significantly agricultural nation 80+ years ago, but at this point, the number of people you're keeping afloat with subsidized milk is so tiny it doesn't warrant the expenditure and the higher cost of dairy for everyone. Just let a few dairies fail and everyone else enjoy cheaper dairy products. It's not like dairy would go away if the government stepped back, it would just be priced appropriately.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I have the impression that only children and elders drink milk regularly these days.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
homelander-milk.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I used to freaking love milk and drank it all the time,
I became lactose intolerant in my mid-20s so now im down to the rare cup of chocolate milk or milkshakes when it won't be an issue.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
US dairy farmers have been trying for years to dump their oversupply into Canada, where we have supply controls in place. They managed to succeed a bit under Trump, and his bully tactics.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First Justin Timberlake, and now milk. What is this world coming to?

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I was big on unsweetened almond milk, but now someone in the house has a nut allergy so we switched to Oat Milk, it's a close second.

Regular milk is only bought if it's needed for a recipe

Remk NG

Apr 16, 2018
I remember listening to a podcast about cheese being stored in caves by the US government and I thought that was a waste.
Just free that cheese!!! Make a national quesadilla month or something!

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I drank shitloads of milk when I was younger, but only keep it in the house now if it goes into a recipe. But I'll take a glass of whole milk 100% of the time over almond/oat/whatever "milk".

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
this ad pops up in my subconscious frequently

As a kid, I was like, why do they need to advertise milk (and beef and pork)? As an adult, I understand how the marketing works to make sure there's demand and even a sub conscious inkling that the stuff is good for you and you need to keep consuming it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Sell the cheese to pizza makers at a deep discount.

Cheese is pretty cheap. You can buy those small blocks for $1.25 at some stores.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Dairy farms, like most factory farming, are extremely cruel and disgusting. The less of this crap people consume the better.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I rather recently switched off of milk and tried alternatives after seeing that they weren't crazy expensive anymore. Almond milk is pretty nice I gotta say.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
so I mean, price floors and supply quotas for milk have logistical reasons for existing - chief among them is that you literally can't not milk a dairy cow. like, it'll likely get sick/injured and very possibly die (bovine mastitis, etc). you have to milk, but you have a limited amount of storage capacity (on the farm or at the processing plants), so milk has to keep moving from location to location. if a disruption happens (fall in demand, pandemic, etc), you have to dump it because milk is perishable. the milk system exists to keep farmers afloat if these things happen (like they did last year), because the alternative is that nobody manufactures it at all - it's a market that cannot survive changes in demand easily, especially rapid ones.

that being said, the smart farmers looking for the smart money have been exiting dairy for years. the margins are terrible, it's very work-intensive if you're not a factory farm, and it can be an absolute pain in the ass. my family's farm is basically running a break-even or net-negative dairy operation that's subsidized by the grain/soybean/corn/etc harvesting they also do. even if you don't get rid of the price controls, it's definitely going to go through some changes in the next few decades.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Used to drink milk alot when I was younger, mainly because of how much we loved making curry. These days...fuck no I try to avoid it, cheese however my god I love cheese.