• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
you can't make a nice glass of pilk with any of those knockoffs, it's just not the same

Nut waters are not milk.
It's nuts and water. Nut water.

Milk is wonderful and gives us butter, cheese, yoghurt, and ice cream. It is truly a gift.

More seriously, almond milk is pretty bad for the environment.
And someone really stuck the landing with marketing these nut drinks as milk.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Nut waters are not milk.

Milk is wonderful and gives us butter, cheese, yoghurt, and ice cream. It is truly a gift.

Oat "Milk" is not made from nuts, and is the closest I've found to both taste *AND* texture to normal milk.

Additionally it uses a fraction of the resources (including water) of regular Milk and other nut milk.

I think it's the best alternative because of that, although dairy is fantastic.

Oat "Milk" is not made from nuts, and is the closest I've found to both taste *AND* texture to normal milk.

Additionally it uses a fraction of the resources (including water) of regular Milk and other nut milk.

It's true. Cows milk is still worst for the environment by a substantial margin.

Oat water then.
We can call it oat water.

I don't really have a problem with the alternatives.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Nut waters are not milk.

yea but… they taste similar and you can use alt-milks in recipes as a sub for cow milk. Sure there are probably some good marketing teams behind the rise of alt-milks but to me it makes sense.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Oat milk is all I buy now, unless I'm baking something and absolutely need milk. I just buy a pint at that point.

yea but… they taste similar and you can use alt-milks in recipes as a sub for cow milk. Sure there are probably some good marketing teams behind the rise of alt-milks but to me it makes sense.

I don't think they taste similar in the slightest, but they are both white and carry more nutrients than water, so it does make sense.

I mean, I don't see how they possibly could taste similar - they're comprised of entirely different things. And that's fine.

People still like both. It, also, is fine.
So far as I can tell, oat milk is the overall best of the alternative milks.

Last edited:

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
I love milk, cheese, yogurt, cream, ice cream... I couldn't live without dairy. But I always try to buy 100% grass-fed when I can as do think it's kinder to the animals.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Oat milk is so good. Anytime I get a nice coffee I get it with oat milk now.

But otherwise I never really drink or use milk outside of cereal and protein shakes and I use Fairlife just because of the high protein content but I use skim so its almost water anyway. Milk with more fat is kinda weird to me.

Cheese is great though.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
@6:40... they sued the soy milk companies and eventually bought them out. Now the dairy companies own Whitewave/Silk. And they are perfectly fine with "milk" being on the carton. Hrm... seems about right.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Milk is good, and healthy for you. It's a complete protein and has healthy fats in it. To make it more palateable and easier to enjoy I boil it first, and drink it warm with a bit of cinnamon.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the taste of milk but my stomach can't survive it at all. Makes me super gassy and get cramps so no milk :(

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I love milk
milk-bath.gif

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Nut waters are not milk.

Holy fuck I never knew it was literally just almonds and water. Almond milk should be banned.

/s partially

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If the government has to buy it to prop up the industry, doesn't seem like a successful industry

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I love milk.

The reason specific farm subsidies exist when they're not truly needed anymore is because it's very hard to end popular programs in politically influential places. Most people, liberals and conservatives, like farms, and farm subsidies are broadly popular across the political spectrum. It's one of those issues that gets play in fairly niche political circles, libertarians and very ecologically focused people, but broadly, it's kinda like "eh, no farms no food right mate?"

If the government has to buy it to prop up the industry, doesn't seem like a successful industry

Not really a good rule. The alternative energy industry exists because of government incentives. It's becoming more viable, but only because those incentives subsidized growth in nascent industries, and this is a common, repeatable pattern. The internet is obviously a viable business and consumer platform today, but it wasn't for about the first 30 years of its existence, it was entirely funded by the American government and developed by government-funded (or tax incentivized) universities. Most silicon valley tech companies, even if they weren't directly subsidized, were frequently the product of Stanford, the Hoover Institute, military financing, and other public/private partnerships. I definitely wouldn't have my job as a software developer if it wasn't for government subsidies propping up this industry for ever.

It's part of what boils my piss about Elon Musk complaining about paying taxes. It's like, ELon, you fuck, the reason your company is the most valuable auto company in America is because *the federal government has subsidized every aspect of your business*

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I just know we're throwing away obscene amounts of milk, I never see or hear of a store running out of it.