• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dooble

Oct 28, 2017
th

This game will release tommorow

http://www.4gamer.net/games/374/G037408/20180201092/

Interview by 4gamer. Besides Virtual On talk, there is also good stuff about mechas in Japan and abroad in general. I would appreciate if some kind sould would translate.

Here is what I could decipher:
  • The goal was to make it resemble Oratario Tangram rather than Force and Marz
  • After the series transitioned to Marz on PS2, the sales slowed down
  • There were three attempts to get a new game greenlight. There was a DS game once too, or even simulation
  • Virtual On never did well in the West. Activision took over for Oratario Tangram, but it flopped
  • They were voices that Virtual On will turn into a moe game now when it was announced, but the whole A Certain Magical Index crossover is just cosmetic

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody playing this? Got my copy today and I'm really enjoying it. Especially the extremely ~satisfying~ knockdowns:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I wanted to play but it's all in Japanese.

If they localize it during a time that isn't packed with other games I'll get it for sure.

I might be the only one in the forums that is a fan of Index more than a fan of VO.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
How much of a Virtual On game is this thing. I thought it was more crossover than anything else. How mistaken am I?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much of a Virtual On game is this thing. I thought it was more crossover than anything else. How mistaken am I?
check the vids: it's a real-deal new Virtual On game, only when certain things happen some anime characters pop up in overlays. I think you may even be able to turn these off, shoulda checked before shutting down for the night.

it also has some VN story mode but there's a skip button.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just glad they managed it. Even better that it's on Vita.

I was planning on importing anyway, but I wonder if that overseas sales comment means we're not getting it over here. Because it seems that adding Index has made it even more Japan-focused.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

I was planning on importing anyway, but I wonder if that overseas sales comment means we're not getting it over here. Because it seems that adding Index has made it even more Japan-focused.

Would love it if they time it with the release of Season Three this year.

One can dream.

Rikachu

Dec 29, 2017
Does anyone have a link to some impressions or a review of this?

I'm in two minds about picking it up, and just wondering about the language barrier also.

Thanks in advance!

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Sacrifices had to be made to get us a new VO. I'll buy it even though I really don't care for the crossover anime stuff attached to it.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo of this and it was fun (though I mainly played it cause of Index, don't know much about Virtual On)

Would probably buy it if I had the money to spare.

Rikachu

Dec 29, 2017
I was a huge fan of VO back in the day, and I've seen the anime as well.

Scratch that. Will find a copy this week!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
  • Virtual On never did well in the West. Activision took over for Oratario Tangram, but it flopped

You know, I won't say it should have done gangbusters, but a big reason it probably never did well in the west is because THE CONTROLLERS HAVE NEVER BEEN RELEASED IN THE WEST. The controllers make the fucking game! Ever since the original on the saturn, getting the proper controller setup in the US has been a pain in the fucking ass. They've always been expensive, rare imports.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I like both of these things (well, more Rail than Dex...) so I should be interested, just way way too much going on out there now. It is like 2017 all over again.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I won't say it should have done gangbusters, but a big reason it probably never did well in the west is because THE CONTROLLERS HAVE NEVER BEEN RELEASED IN THE WEST. The controllers make the fucking game! Ever since the original on the saturn, getting the proper controller setup in the US has been a pain in the fucking ass. They've always been expensive, rare imports.

I wouldn't go that far with the bolded. I mean, it's a very fair criticism and I would have loved to see US controllers, but VO can still be really good with a gamepad (at least starting with the Activision US localization of VOOT) and the whole subgenre VO sparked has thrived with very traditional controls.

Can I mute the voices?
Yes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go that far with the bolded. I mean, it's a very fair criticism, but VO can still be really good with a gamepad (at least starting with the Activision US localization of VOOT) and the whole subgenre VO sparked has thrived with very traditional controls.

I cannot stand VO with traditional controls. It literally does not feel fun to me that way. More the power to you, but I absolutely cannot play without the twin sticks. It feels like a radically different game when I use a controller.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I've been sleeping on this because I thought it would be leaning a lot more towards Index than VO. Gonna import this soon (esp. since it'll probably never get localized)

I cannot stand VO with traditional controls. It literally does not feel fun to me that way. More the power to you, but I absolutely cannot play without the twin sticks. It feels like a radically different game when I use a controller.
Did you start with the twin sticks? As someone who started with a controller, I really disliked the twin sticks the one time I found a VO cab in the wild (about 9 months ago), I felt like the sticks were getting in the way of what I wanted to do.

Last edited:

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I'm gonna try the demo sometime soon inbetween MonHun and Girls und Panzer.

So tight for time lately.

If it's good though, I gotta load up some more Yen to my JP account anyway for FFXV DLC.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

I hope we get it regardless. It's not like the console hasn't gotten localized games that weren't made with Japan in mind. I sincerely hope it does well over there, but if it doesn't, I hope the powers that be consider a localization on both platforms.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played the demo when I still had a PS4. As much as I bloody hate throwing in these garbage anime series into this beloved series, I do have to say I really enjoyed the gameplay of the modern variant. It felt really tailored towards controller users and I didn't feel like I need a Twin Stick like I do with the classic mode and previous releases.

Rikachu

Dec 29, 2017
Took the plunge! Went for the standard version. Came with a mini-guide/moves list and some decent bookmarks I won't use.

RmqATscl.jpg

levious

Oct 26, 2017

I am pretty sure you could order the Saturn twin sticks direct from sega of America. I recall an order form or ad in my manual.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Heh with switch you could straight up use the joycons as twinstick motion controls, which would be a fun thing. I mean Arms is a proof of concept

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure you could order the Saturn twin sticks direct from sega of America. I recall an order form or ad in my manual.

No, I still have my copy of Virtua On with all the included material from when I first bought it brand new. It details the twin sticks in the manual, but there is no order form. Also, Sega Retro confirms they were never available in the west.

This is probably what you are remembering:

KoGw8q1.jpg

However, the number never actually sold twin sticks. They intended to eventually ship them to stores, which is what the number would have told you, but didn't sell them direct.

levious

Oct 26, 2017
No, I still have my copy of Virtua On with all the included material from when I first bought it brand new. It details the twin sticks in the manual, but there is no order form. Also, Sega Retro confirms they were never available in the west.

Ah thanks, so you think it was just an ad for a possible western release?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think anyone realized this possibility, but now that the Index characters have mechs, they're technically eligible for entry into the Super Robot Wars universe.

Which they did.

To commemorate the release of the game, a few characters from the game appeared in a promotional event for Super Robot Wars X-Ω. Kamijou Touma, Index, Misaka Mikoto, Shirai Kuroko, and Accelerator, with their respective Virtuaroids, will appear as super rare units that can be obtained in the game and become playable. This would mark the first time the Toaru Majutsu no Index franchise crossed over with a Super Robot Wars game.

In story in-game, the characters somehow end up in the world of Code Geass and they end up teaming up with the Black Knights as well as the Laserion and Zegapain characters.

And yes, I'm pretty sure Touma will punch Lelouch.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll post impressions here since there's not a dedicated thread or anything lol

I'm really having an excellent time with the game thus far, going so far as to say the gameplay suits my taste better than VOOT's. I love the way movement feels, transitions are a really smart way of linking aerial and ground movement, and the way they rearranged the movelist to have some former VOOT turbo and crouching moves now exclusive to different movement states was a very successful way of simplifying controls without removing options imo. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to, but I do think some of the gameplay changes may be ymmv, especially if you're a purist (for reference, I like VOOT a good deal, but I never got super into it or anything).

Only minor gripes I have are that the stage count is kinda small and lacking in variety, I don't really like the new default skins for the Virtualoids and only about half have unlockable skins, and it seems like the neat rugby mode is only playable in online co-op.

But yeah, this game is seriously the real deal.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol thanks signal

Guess I'll post impressions here since there's not a dedicated thread or anything lol

I'm really having an excellent time with the game thus far, going so far as to say the gameplay suits my taste better than VOOT's. I love the way movement feels, transitions are a really smart way of linking aerial and ground movement, and the way they rearranged the movelist to have some former VOOT turbo and crouching moves now exclusive to different movement states was a very successful way of simplifying controls without removing options imo. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I expected to, but I do think some of the gameplay changes may be ymmv, especially if you're a purist (for reference, I like VOOT a good deal, but I never got super into it or anything).

Only minor gripes I have are that the stage count is kinda small and lacking in variety, I don't really like the new default skins for the Virtualoids and only about half have unlockable skins, and it seems like the neat rugby mode is only playable in online co-op.

But yeah, this game is seriously the real deal.

Agreed with all of this.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have high hopes.

Sega has never localized any of the past Index games, not even the current mobile MMO game.

They did localize Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, though. It had Index characters in it, both playable and support. Atlus are doing the decisions now and we're even getting Shining Resonance, why not this?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
They did localize Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, though. It had Index characters in it, both playable and support. Atlus are doing the decisions now and we're even getting Shining Resonance, why not this?

They localized the first one but not the second one though, makes me think it's a one off experiment, either that or because they have freaking SAO in it >_>

This is just my speculation of course, I would love if this got an English localization... Doesn't even have to be physical.

Because i have nowhere else to post this

They know what people want from Kuroko.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a real shame that Watari had to jump through so many hoops to give us even part of a new Virtual On. Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram is IMO one of if not the greatest fighter ever made. This series could be amazing with modern technology and more elaborate stages. I hope this game succeeds and this man gets the opportunity to give us a whole-hog VO.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
There is a new Virtual On coming!? Holy woah I cannot believe that I somehow missed this! I really hope this gets localized somehow. Praying for a miracle, even though I'm not a fan of all the random anime teens in there.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The PS4 is region-free and it's basically a fighting game.

What do you even need a translation for, especially if you're already familiar with how any of the previous games played?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
How likely is this to get localized?
SEGA has been localizing just about all of their games as of late. I could perhaps see this one getting a smaller launch though, like maybe digital only and no English voice acting. Shining Force Refrain makes less sense to localize than this IMO and that is also being ported to Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PC in it's release over here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it wouldn't have taken so long if they didn't quarantine the VO and Force ports to X360, they were never going to succeed there.