Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
wow Suisei is doing wider media fluff with a "10 essentials she can't live without" video for GQ Japan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfhT3_Z42FM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJI5nR8fYF8
youtu.be

INA COOKING💜

Is INA DAY !--------------------------【 @Ninomae Ina'nis Ch. hololive-EN 】 www.youtube.com/@NinomaeInanis--------------------------【My Twitter】https://twitte...

edit: These Ina bday animations keep popping up for me

View: https://youtu.be/TQGk3QdyFVA?si=uQPcH8Bfshizis8V

Last edited:

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Which is why it's impressive that, even when muzzled like that, the negative emotions all these ex-livers have toward their former company are crystal clear. I don't think there's anyone who has a good word to say about Niji at all, and it doesn't seem to matter whether they were graduated or terminated (with extreme prejudice). Worse, some of these people carry visible trauma around with them, which sometimes shows when they stream.

As an example: Mint in particular wasn't even planning to come back to streaming at all, and she shows a disturbing lack of self-esteem in the early Mintara content and her comeback streams, where she's constantly stunned that anyone would want to support her at all, much less financially.

To me, this is the most telling part. You don't have a streamer like Michi actually saying "Am I even allowed to be this happy" in relation to how things are going for her now without raising some eyebrows I'd hope. It's painfully obvious just how close some of the livers came to making attempts without going that last step, as lord knows most of them are shown to have low/no self-esteem after re-debuting.

That Mint is also having so much fun after flat out kind of wanting to leave the business completely speaks volumes.

It's kind of funny to say how Vshojo is actually rehabilitating people from Niji, but considering free psychiatric care is part of joining the company, it's basically the truth.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the whole "Niji's new guy is a scammer" was all a lie after all. Some communities (/r/kurosanjii) are starting to become even worse than the defenders of Nijisanji at this point, attacking a random person just because someone said they sounded similar.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
After Nyanners, Vei, and Silver left, Vshojo have been on a high speed rocket to the top. Been watching a lot of them since Matara joined.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
I saw Luna was streaming Bloodborne the other day. Is there no longer a rights issue with Sony games?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Luna was streaming Bloodborne the other day. Is there no longer a rights issue with Sony games?
Its complicated, it seems like its usually individual based and has to be requested weeks ahead per stream so most don't bother. There have been sporadic streams of stuff like Uncharted, Spider-man, SoTC, etc.

I think Calli streamed a little bit of Bloodborne about a year ago or so too.

Whoever is in charge of streaming rights at SIE Japan seem to be quite stingy maybe because they have skin in the vtuber game and don't want to help competitors or something.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly just never post things from r/kurosanji. It's literally a haven for antis now, they'll latch onto anything as fact and run with it. It's practically 4chan at this point.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Independent Vtuber Akami Karubi (赤見かるび) is debuting her official product through a pop up store collab with INFOLENSGEEK Shop

She debuted in Jan/2021 on Twitch, and Youtube on November of the same year, her mama is Nachoneko, the same one that did Gawr Gura from Hololive.
Her setting is the princess from the Meat kingdom, and all her name have something to do with Yakiniku.
She mainly stream FPS type game, and also does really well in tournament.

0516_1_1024x1024.jpg

4370409.jpg

geekshop.infolens.com

赤見かるび

今話題のVALORANT、Apexlegendsやポピープレイタイム、FF14その他ゲームグッズの輸入販売。正規ライセンスグッズが300種類以上! 五千円で無料配送・午前中のご注文は当日出荷。

www.youtube.com

赤見かるび / Karubi Akami

かるびだじょ~

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Man, her first live's names sure are something... "The Shitest Start", "A Goodday to DiE"

Early-period edgy AZKi is one of my favourite aspects of her even though I know very little about it. Insert image of that official t-shirt that basically just says FUCK on it.

Also, uh, don't go to AZKi's old official web store, because it's been hijacked by a domain squatter with some interesting ads.

???

They didn't even post the link to the video. And auto-translation? Really? I think imagining what they're saying in your head might be more accurate than the nonsensical gibberish you get from the auto-translate function... Especially if there's more than one person talking and they're not reading a structured script, it's borderline insulting that they suggest it.

Sounds like par for the course for Nijisanji EN!

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
Early-period edgy AZKi is one of my favourite aspects of her even though I know very little about it. Insert image of that official t-shirt that basically just says FUCK on it.

Also, uh, don't go to AZKi's old official web store, because it's been hijacked by a domain squatter with some interesting ads.

Sounds like par for the course for Nijisanji EN!
It was "fuck frog" since her old manager used a frog as a mascot.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Honestly just never post things from r/kurosanji. It's literally a haven for antis now, they'll latch onto anything as fact and run with it. It's practically 4chan at this point.

I would agree on not posting unsourced rumors from there, but it's useful to keep an eye on in terms of what news is trending, and why.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree on not posting unsourced rumors from there, but it's useful to keep an eye on in terms of what news is trending, and why.

True. It's not like we can use the main r/Nijisanji page. Nobody is allowed to post there.

Just use r/VirtualYoutubers. They're the best moderated of the vtuber subreddits, manage to reign in the crazy rrats, but still will discuss newsworthy events in the vtuber community. If the event doesn't get its own thread, it's probably being talked about in the weekly thread, so keep an eye on that as well.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
Just use r/VirtualYoutubers. They're the best moderated of the vtuber subreddits, manage to reign in the crazy rrats, but still will discuss newsworthy events in the vtuber community. If the event doesn't get its own thread, it's probably being talked about in the weekly thread, so keep an eye on that as well.

No.

r/VirtualYoutubers is a great place to go if you never want to know what's actually happening. It is a wasteland of self-promotion. News threads either disappear or get buried under the onslaught -- and I have to believe that's a moderation choice.

It does suck that r/kurosanji has degenerated into a rumor haven, but it is literally the only place where current news has any chance to surface without being buried in self-promo.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kurosanji is unfortunately the best place to get Nijisanji news since they essentially closed the official subreddit.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well start getting news from 4chan then as well, they're pretty bang on sometimes as well.

No.

r/VirtualYoutubers is a great place to go if you never want to know what's actually happening. It is a wasteland of self-promotion. News threads either disappear or get buried under the onslaught -- and I have to believe that's a moderation choice.

It does suck that r/kurosanji has degenerated into a rumor haven, but it is literally the only place where current news has any chance to surface without being buried in self-promo.

I get just as much up to date info from virtualyoutubers as I do from this thread, a lot of it is actually in the weekly discussion thread rather than their own individual threads, but really good info is posted there and it's not drowned out by the onslaught of absolute hate and obvious attempts at dragging the narrative to the extremes, whether its warranted or not.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
I don't think anything good will come from a hate subreddit

And I don't think anything good will come of misrepresenting what's there.

The problem with the VTuber space is that it's not popular enough to be covered by mainstream journalists, and also the entire profession of journalism is on life support thanks to Facebook. And because VTubing is personally-driven, it lends itself more easily to dramatubing than actual journalism.

The experts are not coming to save you. Social media sucks, and having to wade through 4chan-level rrats to find actual news is not an optimal experience. But that's the hand we're stuck with, and it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend that the situation is otherwise.

Might as well start getting news from 4chan then as well, they're pretty bang on sometimes as well.
Again: you might not like it, but there is a use for getting a sense of what is buzzing in the community right now, and why.

Also, I'm not an idiot. I actually look at the sources of the actual information, and judge for myself if any of it is worthwhile. Unsourced rumors are obviously bullshit 99% of the time, but the reason they circulate is often telling of the underlying sentiment, which is useful for getting a general read on the community.

I get just as much up to date info from virtualyoutubers as I do from this thread, a lot of it is actually in the weekly discussion thread rather than their own individual threads, but really good info is posted there and it's not drowned out by the onslaught of absolute hate and obvious attempts at dragging the narrative to the extremes, whether its warranted or not.
But that's the entire problem.

If you consign actual news to a single thread without telling anyone you're doing this, then you're effectively burying all of it. You're literally overriding the thing that Reddit is meant to be good at -- separating individual bits of news into individual threads of discussion.

Again: that is a moderation choice, and it is telling. It means they don't want news to be the overriding thing shown in the subreddit. It means that 50-100 threads of endless self-promo is what they want the subreddit to look like.

Last edited:

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017

The problem with the VTuber space is that it's not popular enough to be covered by mainstream journalists, and also the entire profession of journalism is on life support thanks to Facebook. And because VTubing is personally-driven, it lends itself more easily to dramatubing than actual journalism.

The experts are not coming to save you. Social media sucks, and having to wade through 4chan-level rrats to find actual news is not an optimal experience. But that's the hand we're stuck with, and it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend that the situation is otherwise.
I'm not misrepresenting what's there. It's a subreddit created to thrive off drama and once the actual drama dries up all you are left with is rumors and hearsay. Which is why we had people posting about a lie about one of their dudes debuting. The direction of things moved in the exact way I predicted.

And, uh, I don't need "experts" to save me, nor do I need redditors with too much time on their hands either.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

That's not a misrepresentation, r/kurosanji is absolutely a hate subreddit that thrives off of drama.

But that's the entire problem.

If you consign actual news to a single thread without telling anyone you're doing this, then you're effectively burying all of it. You're literally overriding the thing that Reddit is meant to be good at -- separating individual bits of news into individual threads of discussion.

Again: that is a moderation choice, and it is telling. It means they don't want news to be the overriding thing shown in the subreddit. It means that 50-100 threads of endless self-promo is what they want the subreddit to look like.

I'd rather wade through a hundred threads of self-promo, which is part of the reason the subreddit exists, to help give voice to the vtubers that normally don't get talked about often, than go through 4chan lite.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no news from a subreddit created by antis that won't move on or got co-opted by alt right weirdos.

There are actual media/news sites reporting on Vtuber news like Siliconera, Anime News Network, etc these days.

They aren't going to report shakey rumors usually.

Industry people on Twitter, the main vtuber subreddit, etc + a dash of critical thinking should suffice for more specific rumor stuff.

We've gotten good info from ex-Niji members about how things are run over there, that should be enough for most people. Hopefully Niji will restructure their management and improve treatment of livers but I'm not holding my breath. They'll have to work hard to regain trust.

Their history of poor support of foreign branches and even bad treatment of livers on the domestic side will hurt the company's prospects in the long run if they don't improve.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Their history of poor support of foreign branches and even bad treatment of livers on the domestic side will hurt the company's prospects in the long run if they don't improve.

The damage (expansion prospects) is already done. The brand overseas is at the moment so toxic that anyone making collabs or business with them are basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I will say though, been driving a lot, and most of the trips have consisted of just Michi clips and just the stream of ramblings she sometimes has. I really have missed out on her, she's awesome. :D

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I will say though, been driving a lot, and most of the trips have consisted of just Michi clips and just the stream of ramblings she sometimes has. I really have missed out on her, she's awesome. :D

I never really watched Michi either, didn't realize she was a huge yapper until Vshojo. Probably what happens when you're genuinely happy and secure.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Its complicated, it seems like its usually individual based and has to be requested weeks ahead per stream so most don't bother. There have been sporadic streams of stuff like Uncharted, Spider-man, SoTC, etc.

I think Calli streamed a little bit of Bloodborne about a year ago or so too.

Whoever is in charge of streaming rights at SIE Japan seem to be quite stingy maybe because they have skin in the vtuber game and don't want to help competitors or something.
yeah from past convo between biboo and calli, BB perms expired before biboo play it. hoping she can play it now since she bought a playstation for it.

Toxic rat yesterday, really hope Fauna sends Bae the screenshot of her beating the game in 57 min.

View: https://twitter.com/yayoiken1324/status/1793325309900870055

Last edited:

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Irys returning to Elden Ring after almost 2 yrs, hope she is quick to adapt, otherwise I can hear all the "fudges" about to be dropped

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
I'm not misrepresenting what's there. It's a subreddit created to thrive off drama and once the actual drama dries up all you are left with is rumors and hearsay. Which is why we had people posting about a lie about one of their dudes debuting. The direction of things moved in the exact way I predicted.

And, uh, I don't need "experts" to save me, nor do I need redditors with too much time on their hands either.

No. What you're left with, if you're actually paying attention, are links to sources that you can evaluate for yourself. Everything else is very easily ignorable.

And yes, you kind of do need experts. Specifically, you need experts in workplace abuse, contract and labor law, and psychological trauma to explain exactly why, for example, the entire Niji situation was so fucked. In the absence of experts, what you're left with is a void that gets filled with rrats.

It is true that people don't come to VTubers to be hit in the face with allegations of workplace abuse -- they come to chill out and enjoy shit. The problem is that when something serious does happen, there is immediately a tendency to not want to grapple with any of it -- even if you have the skills to do so (which a large part of the audience arguably does not.) It is a weakness in how this community functions that is being openly exploited by Niji and other bad actors. It is why when a company chooses to sacrifice someone for PR, people are more than willing to accept that, because it's the quickest way to not have to think about it.

Yeah no news from a subreddit created by antis that won't move on or got co-opted by alt right weirdos.

There are actual media/news sites reporting on Vtuber news like Siliconera, Anime News Network, etc these days.
Funny you should bring up ANN.

Disclaimer: I like Anime News Network. They are one of the only outlets remaining, who are willing to do actual journalism in the anime/manga space. But they are also the site that, when the Selen termination happened, literally just posted a summary of Niji's statement with barely any context, nor did they post a follow-up to the initial story. They didn't even post Dokibird's first tweets about it, which is literally the news event that broke the story wide open and eventually made it (semi-)mainstream. I had to go to their forum to get any idea of what actually went down, and why.

And like ... reporting on the facts of that case is not difficult. It's arguably the easiest damn thing in the world, given all the additional facts that came out during the gigantic backlash. But they chose not to, and continue to choose not to. Even now, the best coverage of the Selen/Doki story comes from dramatubers, which is a pretty big problem in and of itself.

This is why having subject matter experts in a space makes a difference. But journalists and experts have to eat, and it's more than clear that they are financially unincentivized to do work here.

So yeah, while I will generally trust them in their coverage of the anime industry, I flat out do not trust them to report properly on VTubing -- mostly because they don't. It's pretty much all press releases.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
No. What you're left with, if you're actually paying attention, are links to sources that you can evaluate for yourself. Everything else is very easily ignorable.

And yes, you kind of do need experts. Specifically, you need experts in workplace abuse, contract and labor law, and psychological trauma to explain exactly why, for example, the entire Niji situation was so fucked. In the absence of experts, what you're left with is a void that gets filled with rrats.

It is true that people don't come to VTubers to be hit in the face with allegations of workplace abuse -- they come to chill out and enjoy shit. The problem is that when something serious does happen, there is immediately a tendency to not want to grapple with any of it -- even if you have the skills to do so (which a large part of the audience arguably does not.) It is a weakness in how this community functions that is being openly exploited by Niji and other bad actors. It is why when a company chooses to sacrifice someone for PR, people are more than willing to accept that, because it's the quickest way to not have to think about it.
I am paying attention? That's why I don't need a hate subreddit (or you for that matter) to tell me what's fucked or not fucked in the vtuber industry.

Last edited: