• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could the development of eyesight-improving eyedrops help eliminate the need for glasses? Quite possibly, suggests new research coming out of Israel's Shaare Zedek Medical Center and Bar-Ilan University. A team of ophthalmologists at these institutes have invented and tested "nanodrops" which, combined with a laser process, reportedly results in improvements in both short- and long-sightedness. Clinical testing in humans is set to take place later in 2018.

"The invention includes three parts," Zeev Zalevsky, professor of electrical engineering and nanophotonics at Bar-Ilan University, who worked on the project, told Digital Trends.

The first of these steps involves an app on the patient's smartphone or mobile device which measures their eye refraction. A laser pattern is then created and projected onto the corneal surface of the eyes. This surgical procedure takes less than one second. Finally, the patient uses eyedrops containing what Zalevsky describes as "special nanoparticles."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/israel-eyedrops-correct-vision/

Godspeed scientists.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surgery? Yeah, that's a no.
Even Lasik is still too new for me to risk my eyes on.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, please!

On a more serious note: This is gonna take years and years to reach the market, right?

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, the process still involves lasers to the eye?

So it's basically shorter LASIK but with tiny particles in your eyes to boot.

Nah.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The downside of the approach is that, because it is a milder treatment, the eye will gradually heal itself, which means that the improvements will subside. As a result, patients would need to repeat the process every one to two months in order to maintain their superior eyesight.
Pooh.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so it's an app on their phone but also involves monthly laser surgery?

Is there a laser attachment to your phone?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I was really excited about this until I read the laser part.

I'm sure my fear of laser surgery is irrational at this point, I even know someone who got successful surgery - I just can't bring myself to do it as I keep thinking I could end up in the minute percentage of people who experience issues with it.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
"nanodrops" which, combined with a laser process

ok, a bit less impressive.
We already have LASIK

The first of these steps involves an app on the patient's smartphone or mobile device which measures their eye refraction

Wait. You start by using an app on you phone? I don't know how I feel about that.

As a result, patients would need to repeat the process every one to two months in order to maintain their superior eyesight.

And it's temporary, so you'd need to repeat it possibly every month?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
four%20easy%20steps.jpg

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems pointless. Still needs lasers and doesn't even last as long.

Deleted member 2328

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had LASIK in 2011. I had a very serious case of myopia and it was the best decision I ever made.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if your eyes would accumulate a bunch of scar tissue over time since you need to repeat the laser process monthly.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No thanks! I don't like my glasses but I refuse to have any kind of surgery or let anything mess about with my eyes. I'll just keep my glasses.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Great news. Now just find a way to cure eye floaters without risky surgery.

They're actually working on something that could help this! I heard it on the Quirks and Quarks podcast last week. Basically, it involves creating sound waves at just the right frequency and position to make tiny tornadoes inside your eye that carry the floaters away. Here's a link;

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/dete...am-could-replace-invasive-surgeries-1.4557142

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to ask why you would measure eye refraction with a smartphone app if you have to get some laser surgery - presumably the doctor could do that more accurately with their own tools - but it turns out you do the laser surgery yourself also in your own home? OK...

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
[...]The first of these steps involves an app on the patient's smartphone or mobile device which measures their eye refraction.[...]

I think I'd really prefer if they used some sort of standardised equipment for that...
That plus the need for lasers makes me think this isn't as cool as it sounds.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not interested if laser beams are still being shot into my eyeballs. Have heard 2 Lasik horror stories, and that's 2 too many for me.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, LASIK but with nanomachines that you have to put back every few months ? Thanks but no thanks.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When can I just replace my eyes with superior cybernetics?
122on45.png

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this would be awesome. I have also had them forever, and although they don't really bother me anymore , it would be cool to get rid of them

Mine are pretty severe. The right eye only has one thicker barbell type floater that bounces around. The left however has strands that go all over. In some light it's not terrible, but in most they're in my vision and very annoying. I have to constantly blink or move my head back and forth to kinda shift them. Thankfully I can still play games in my home without much of a bother. I've considered a vitrectomy and seen a very skilled Ophthalmologist who agreed to do it after seeing how bad they are. I'm just very nervous about it after looking on the floater talk message boards. Seems that the surgery all but guarantees a cataract within ten years and has risks for permanent vision loss if your eye pressure drops after the surgery for too long. That's on top of the risk of retinal detachment and a "frill" that can be present afterward from the leftover vitreous flapping around.

It's a hell and has ruined a lot for me. I've toughened up and get through, but I'd give anything to have my vision clear again.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Wow you have to get it done every two months? Nah hard pass. Hows lasic these days? Anyone had it done? Tired of wearing glasses.