• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see previews just came out as well:

www.eurogamer.net

Visions of Mana returns to series roots, but is yet to flower into a truly original experience

I have quite distinct memories of SNES classic Secret of Mana, despite not playing it too much. It's the visuals that s…

www.engadget.com

Visions of Mana preview: A faithful reimagination of a classic

After a break of more than 15 years, Visions of Mana is hoping to inject new life into the legendary RPG franchise.

www.ign.com

Visions of Mana: The First Hands-On Preview - IGN

If our two-hour hands-on preview is any indication of the rest of the game, then Visions of Mana's fresh take on battle and class systems not only gives it the potential to meet the success of the originals but possibly even the chance to surpass them.

www.rpgfan.com

Visions of Mana: Hands-On Preview | RPGFan

I've been hoping Visions of Mana would be a return to form ever since Square Enix announced in December, and so far, I am incredibly optimistic!

kotaku.com

Visions of Mana Feels Like A Vintage RPG—For Better And Worse

The series' first mainline entry in over 15 years is shaking off the rust, but shows some promise

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtCvBcO5SQA&pp=ygUXdmlzaW9ucyBvZiBtYW5hIHByZXZpZXc%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTM-0zUJMjs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLGQGGBq9T8

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The combat still looks REALLY slow to me. Something about the melee attacks just feels like it has way too much delay.

Other than that, it looks nice and colorful. I'm sure that since it's a Mana game the story will be insubstantial fluff, but I'll still give it a shot. The elemental job system sounds cool, albeit reminding me a bit of Breath of Fire 2's elemental sage system in some regards.

GreenKing1979

Aug 1, 2020
The combat does look rally slow, and some of the previews comment on that.

Sadly if this is the case, its going to be a pass from me.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
It looks fantastic and previews are generally positive! Looking forward to it!

(I hope it won't load at every 10 meters like Ys8. I know it's not the same devs, budget etc. but I'm still worried about that technical aspect of some low budget last gen games.)

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who put FF7 Remake on the easiest difficulty and just happily mashed square for the entire game, I'm into this lol

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
Combat may look slow I agree with that, but I also felt that this may be best fit for me now lol (I know I'm getting old).

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco

The game isn't made by Square Enix, it was made by the Studio Ohka (Sakura Studio) from NetEase which opened in 2020.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Previews seem a bit more mixed-to-generally-positive that I'd like. Feels like a 7 in the making, which is fine in itself.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
I honestly don't understand the folks saying the combat looks slow. What in particular makes the combat look slow in those videos?

Also why is slow combat seen as a bad thing?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand the folks saying the combat looks slow. What in particular makes the combat look slow in those videos?

Also why is slow combat seen as a bad thing?

Action games tend to suffer when the player's attacks are extremely sluggish and don't connect to each other well. The main character's sword slashes just seem to have these gigantic delays, and it's the kind of stuff that's going to make combat feel really frustrating, especially if enemies turn out to be really aggressive.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
The combat still looks REALLY slow to me. Something about the melee attacks just feels like it has way too much delay.

Other than that, it looks nice and colorful. I'm sure that since it's a Mana game the story will be insubstantial fluff, but I'll still give it a shot. The elemental job system sounds cool, albeit reminding me a bit of Breath of Fire 2's elemental sage system in some regards.

That's pretty true to the series' roots IMO. The combat in these games was always a lot slower than in similar action RPGs, at least IMO.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty true to the series' roots IMO. The combat in these games was always a lot slower than in similar action RPGs, at least IMO.

Well, that's kind of the thing. SoM's combat was all about gathering up your power for one big strike and then hitting the enemy for maximum damage, not "combos".

So when you have really slow attacks AND "do a big air combo" combined together, it feels sludgey and messy. Not every game needs huge multi-hit combo attacks.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
The writing and characters are going to make or break this for me, especially since Trials of Mana wasn't strong in that regard.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Well, that's kind of the thing. SoM's combat was all about gathering up your power for one big strike and then hitting the enemy for maximum damage, not "combos".

So when you have really slow attacks AND "do a big air combo" combined together, it feels sludgey and messy. Not every game needs huge multi-hit combo attacks.

That's been my issue with basically every Mana game in 3D. They've just never figured out how to make it translate well from the classic 2D ones, and the series has never been as good as it was then, IMO.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
As long as the slow combat doesn't frustrate me, this should be something I enjoy thoroughly.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017

The game isn't made by Square Enix, it was made by the Studio Ohka (Sakura Studio) from NetEase which opened in 2020.
Interesting, I thought the same studio that developped the Trials remake (Xeen) would work on this.

Oct 25, 2017

Any people from Trials working on this?

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

『聖剣伝説 VISIONS of MANA』大型犬のようで愛らしいピックルのゲームプレイ

「聖剣伝説」シリーズ最新作『聖剣伝説 VISIONS of MANA』のPS5実機プレイ映像。スクウェア・エニックスより提供頂いたグローバル版のPS5実機映像より、大型犬のようなピックルに焦点を当てた。■ゲーム情報対応機種:PS5/Xbox Series X|S/PS4/PC発売日:2024年夏予定―――――――...

Seems like SE says the footage they distributed is recorded on PS5 and 4K/60fps.
Game looks good IMO.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Looks amazing to me. Visually stunning, classes and controllable party returning, elemental spirits seem like they'll make the world interactive in fun ways.

Don't really understand the slow combat worries. We haven't even played it. Looks fine to me. Not all action RPGs need to be frenetic and reflex-based, and enemies don't look to be HP sponges in this either.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really like the art direction in this game. Hopefully the gameplay is solid.

varkuriru

Oct 28, 2017
Looks pretty good and so far the combat looks fine to me. It seems there is mid battle character switching so that is great!

ap_2

Jan 23, 2021
It looks very much like a hi-def version of Trials. Combat doesn't seem particularly slow to me, no slower than in Trials, anyways. It's a Mana game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this, I loved Trials even with its clear flaws it was a much better effort than Secret Remake for sure.
I will trust them once more.

EDIT : Watching that GameStop video and elemental vessels that makes you switch classes ?
Is this Golden Sun, haha, I love the sounds of that. I'm just a sucker for job systems.

Last edited:

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
www.youtube.com

『聖剣伝説 VISIONS of MANA』大型犬のようで愛らしいピックルのゲームプレイ

「聖剣伝説」シリーズ最新作『聖剣伝説 VISIONS of MANA』のPS5実機プレイ映像。スクウェア・エニックスより提供頂いたグローバル版のPS5実機映像より、大型犬のようなピックルに焦点を当てた。■ゲーム情報対応機種:PS5/Xbox Series X|S/PS4/PC発売日:2024年夏予定―――――――...

Seems like SE says the footage they distributed is recorded on PS5 and 4K/60fps.
Game looks good IMO.
Yeah it really doesn't look THAT slow here at all. That being said I hope this one finally turns out good.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I really want/need this game to be good. Re-releases and remakes are nice but a brand new Mana game has really been needed, and I like what I hear with the job classes and the elementals playing a more explorative role here.
"Slower combat" sounds just fine to my aging brain, haha. Not every action RPG needs to lean super-heavily into quickness and combos and Mana series combat has always historically been a bit slow in its pacing anyway. Even Legend of Mana that started including more combo-oriented stuff was still pretty deliberate in its fight pacing. Gimme cool environments and a decent storyline and I think it'll work out fine.

Last edited:

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed Trials of Mana and this looks to be more of the same so definitely on board. Love how colourful everything is,

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Visions continues to look gorgeous, and I think the combat looks fine for what this is. Melee combat looks a bit slower here than in Trials of Mana Remake, but they cranked up the visual flair to 11 to make up for it, lol. The skill animations are looking damn fine.

I expect a demo will drop closer to release, perhaps? Hopium? No better way to get off the fence than with a demo.

Last edited:

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Most action rpg combat feels a little homogenous to me these days, so if the 'slow combat' does something to differentiate itself and is enjoyable then I'm all for it.