battousai

Oct 25, 2017
First time going to Seattle, I'll be there from the 4th to the 8th. Let me know what I need to see and do.

Also food recs are appreciated. I don't think I can afford tasting menu/omakase type restaurants but just looking for good food, mostly takeout. I'll be around the University District + Downtown but willing to take public transport and walk around. I won't have a rental car, but can also Uber.

Any tips for getting around will also be helpful!

Thanks all

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in U district you got Light Rail access, plus busses, so getting around the city itself will be simple enough.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for besides food?

Sooo... food!

In U District:
On University Ave you got a drag of reasonable food places
Cedars (Lebanese place) is my favorite food in U District

Fremont/Ballard:
Take the 44 bus west bound, get off around Ballard Ave for Ballard, Fremont a bit of a walk down the hill from Fremont Ave.
-Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard is fantastic
-Rupi Bar in Ballard has the best fried chicken in Seattle
-Ice Box/Add-a-Ball are nice pinball arcades (Ice Box is kid friendly until 8 or 9)
-Dreamland in Fremont has great fried chicken n waffles and a Drag Show Brunch on the weekends

Downtown
Most of my favorite places from when I used to work down there are closed now, so I dunno well

Capital Hill
Easy access from light rail, lots of good bars and kinda more nightlife
Higher density of gay bars
I almost always end up at restaurants/street food right near the concert venues these days so not helpful for you food wise

I dunno if you care about KEXP the best radio station in the world, but they have an open to the public space in Queen Anne (not sure your best transport option from U District but walking from the light rail wouldn't be TERRIBLE). On the 4th they are having a kinda yard sale sorta thing selling off extra swag from past donor drives and such. I'm planning on swinging by.

Aside from food stuff what are you looking for?

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Assuming you're flying, use the light rail from the airport to get to downtown which you can also use to get to the U District.

For food just go to Capitol Hill, there's a ton of options there.

If you're into beer/breweries, Ballard has a lot of options near each other, some of my favorites are Urban Family and Great Notion.

If you're into gaming/game stores check out any of the Pink Gorilla locations (U District, Capitol Hill, International District)

Confusatron

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Welcome to Seattle! Some things to know.

We have light rail, mainly running north south through town. You can use this to get between the airport, downtown, Capital Hill, and the U District.
https://www.soundtransit.org/ride-with-us/stations/link-light-rail-stations
Our bus system is pretty good as well.

Since we're on Resetera, I'll assume you're a gamer. Pink Gorilla is probably the most famous game shop in town. They have locations in the U District (my favorite), Capital Hill (least favorite), and the International District (the OG, worth visiting). I think Another Castle is the best game store in the area. But it would be a long Uber ride for you.

Speaking of the International District, there's also some great food and shopping there. The ID is directly south of downtown, with a light rail stop. Uwajimaya is a fun Asian grocery store to hit with a food court. I like Dough Zone Dumpling House, King Noodle, and Ft. St. George.

On May 5th, the Sounders play LA Galaxy. Their games are a lot of fun to go to. They stink this year, but still fun.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Food - few of my favorites
Pizza - Bambinos in Bell Town - try the Calarosa with smoked mozzarella
Doughnuts - Top Pot - Old Fashioned cake donuts with some dense yeast options too.
Ice Cream - Molly Moon's - Various locations
Chicken - Sisters and Brothers - Nashville style hot chicken, but also chicken and waffles.
Macrons - Lady Yum near the Amazon Spheres, really good always super fresh.
Breakfast/Brunch - Portage Bay, really good options with a fresh toppings bar for your pancakes/french toast
Soup Dumplings - Din Tai Fung - other places like Dough Zone already mentioned.

The MoPoP has a really cool Laika exhibit right now if you're into stop motion animation or their films.
The IMAX at the science center by the needle is a great theater if there is something you're interested in seeing now.
Olympic Sculpture Park is a nice little walk along the bay just passed all of the piers if you're out and about and want a small breather from the city.

OP
OP
battousai

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
If you are in U district you got Light Rail access, plus busses, so getting around the city itself will be simple enough.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for besides food?

Sooo... food!

In U District:
On University Ave you got a drag of reasonable food places
Cedars (Lebanese place) is my favorite food in U District

Fremont/Ballard:
Take the 44 bus west bound, get off around Ballard Ave for Ballard, Fremont a bit of a walk down the hill from Fremont Ave.
-Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard is fantastic
-Rupi Bar in Ballard has the best fried chicken in Seattle
-Ice Box/Add-a-Ball are nice pinball arcades (Ice Box is kid friendly until 8 or 9)
-Dreamland in Fremont has great fried chicken n waffles and a Drag Show Brunch on the weekends

Downtown
Most of my favorite places from when I used to work down there are closed now, so I dunno well

Capital Hill
Easy access from light rail, lots of good bars and kinda more nightlife
Higher density of gay bars
I almost always end up at restaurants/street food right near the concert venues these days so not helpful for you food wise

I dunno if you care about KEXP the best radio station in the world, but they have an open to the public space in Queen Anne (not sure your best transport option from U District but walking from the light rail wouldn't be TERRIBLE). On the 4th they are having a kinda yard sale sorta thing selling off extra swag from past donor drives and such. I'm planning on swinging by.

Aside from food stuff what are you looking for?

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them out! I'm mostly there for work, but will have a fair amount of free time. Do you guys recommend Pike Place / Space Needle and other touristy things?

I've watched a few youtube videos on places to go, and it looks like there's a lot of parks to just hang out in and I'm gonna go to a few. Any recs on which ones are the best for scenery and close to good food?

Also, any places with good happy hours for Oysters? I think I've heard there are $1-2 oysters sometimes, but the ones I've looked at that had those deals seem to have closed after the pandemic

Assuming you're flying, use the light rail from the airport to get to downtown which you can also use to get to the U District.

For food just go to Capitol Hill, there's a ton of options there.

If you're into beer/breweries, Ballard has a lot of options near each other, some of my favorites are Urban Family and Great Notion.

If you're into gaming/game stores check out any of the Pink Gorilla locations (U District, Capitol Hill, International District)

Thanks for the advice! I'll take the light rail on my way into the city, but it looks like it doesn't run 24/7 and I have an early flight out, so I may have to Uber at like 2/3AM.

I don't have as much time to game recently, but I'll definitely stop by a Pink Gorrilla. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'll look into the breweries and what's around them.

Any standouts for Capitol Hill food?

We have light rail, mainly running north south through town. You can use this to get between the airport, downtown, Capital Hill, and the U District.

Since we're on Resetera, I'll assume you're a gamer. Pink Gorilla is probably the most famous game shop in town. They have locations in the U District (my favorite), Capital Hill (least favorite), and the International District (the OG, worth visiting). I think Another Castle is the best game store in the area. But it would be a long Uber ride for you.

Speaking of the International District, there's also some great food and shopping there. The ID is directly south of downtown, with a light rail stop. Uwajimaya is a fun Asian grocery store to hit with a food court. I like Dough Zone Dumpling House, King Noodle, and Ft. St. George.

On May 5th, the Sounders play LA Galaxy. Their games are a lot of fun to go to. They stink this year, but still fun.

Oh yeah, I looked into ID, which dim sum place would you say is the best?

Thanks for the recs so far, please keep them coming!

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

OH SHEEEIIIT!! I've heard of DSKoopa (watched some clips in the past) but didn't know he was located in Seattle! I'm going to be flying in this Saturday so I'll check out the International District one at some point 😁

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Pizza - Bambinos in Bell Town - try the Calarosa with smoked mozzarella

The MoPoP has a really cool Laika exhibit right now if you're into stop motion animation or their films.
The IMAX at the science center by the needle is a great theater if there is something you're interested in seeing now.
Olympic Sculpture Park is a nice little walk along the bay just passed all of the piers if you're out and about and want a small breather from the city.

Many of my favorite restaurants have closed in the several years since I lived in Seattle, but I'm happy to hear Bambino's is still going. The best pizza in the area, bar none.

MoPoP and the sculpture park are always good! Not sure where the OP will be visiting from, but I think it's very much worth going down to Pike Place one morning or early afternoon; it's such a quintessential Seattle experience.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The U District farmers market on Saturdays is the longest continuously running farmers market in the US and worth your time. Check out the Arboretum near UW campus, take a walk around Green Lake on a nice day and the Ballard Locks are very cool.

You can take a water taxi from downtown over to Alki which is pretty. Marination Makai has their big spot right next to the Alki water text terminal and their food is good.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Following, I'll be in Seattle for the first time in June

I follow Kenji Lopez-Alt, he has a guide to food spots he recommends, I'll post it when I subscribe to it

OP
OP
battousai

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Many of my favorite restaurants have closed in the several years since I lived in Seattle, but I'm happy to hear Bambino's is still going. The best pizza in the area, bar none.

MoPoP and the sculpture park are always good! Not sure where the OP will be visiting from, but I think it's very much worth going down to Pike Place one morning or early afternoon; it's such a quintessential Seattle experience.

Flying in from the East Coast - only ever been to CA, so I'm coming in with a completely open mind

Following, I'll be in Seattle for the first time in June

I follow Kenji Lopez-Alt, he has a guide to food spots he recommends, I'll post it when I subscribe to it

I didn't know J Kenji is in Seattle, did a quick search and found someone who compiled all his mentions:

www.rajahamid.com

A map of J. Kenji López-Alt's Seattle recommendations — Raja Hamid

When I moved to Seattle two years ago, I was almost as excited about the access to mountains as I was that Kenji was living here as well. Coming from a life in New York City and deeply falling in love with the NYC food scene, I figured that I’d be making a major compromise in my city-life by lea

lampeater

Oct 27, 2017
I say this as a tourist who used to visit Seattle every year for PAX, so knowledge is fairly limited.
If you're going to be in the International District, I'll plug visiting the Wing Luke Museum if that's up your alley. They have some interesting tours around the area along with the exhibits.

Tours — Wing Luke Museum

Immerse yourself in the rich history of Seattle's Chinatown-International District with walking tours, food tours, and an insider look into the unique history of Seattle.

If you're doing the full tourist-y thing, I'd recommend looking up the Seattle CityPass. It's some discounts for popular tourist attractions. I ran through the whole book when I went full tourist for my final visit back in 2019 and I thought it was worth it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'll second MoPop

Biscuit Bitch is one of my go-to places for breakfast, as well as the 5-point Cafe (probably my favorite greasy spoon in Seattle), and the main seafood restaurant (I forget the name) at Pikes Place Market is legit.

The Space Needle is a little expensive for what I feel it offers, but I always say that people who visit should see it at least once.

And be on the lookout for the Fremont Troll.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
As a lifelong Seattle native, the Wheel is better than the Space Needle. Seriously. If you're here on a clear day the view from the Wheel is pretty impressive and I thought it was way more fun than the Needle.

The Mountaineering Club in the U District also has great views from the rooftop patio.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Was in Redmond for a year, went to Seattle once. Regret it as it seems like a beautiful city.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Pink Gorilla for games, Top Pot for doughnuts. Light rail to get around. All you need.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Pike Place is very cool, and should go visit it. The stalls close at ~5pm so you should go earlier in the day (if you have the time).

The rest of the central district is not great imo, the other neighborhoods are where things are at (u-district, capital hill, ballard, freemont).

If your staying in the U-District, one of my favorite parks is the Washington Arboretum, especially going the north side where you can walk between some small islands. And its just right across the water from The University of Washington.

The Mountaineering Club in the U District also has great views from the rooftop patio.
I went there for the first time a couple months ago. Highly recommend.

dekjo

Jul 10, 2023
Everyone reco-ing Top Pot needs to go try Raised in the CD. They rotate flavors monthly and will be one of the things I'd miss the most if I ever move away from Seattle. And evidently I've been sleeping on Bambino's - think I'll grab a pie this weekend.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Take light rail from Udistrict to west lake station and then ride the monorail to Seattle center. As mentioned there are several things to do there. MoPop, pacific science Center, space needle, kexp

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Hokkaido Ramen in University Village is pretty good if you are in the area.
Owl N' Thistle is a fun little Irish pub/restaurant near the waterfront that has decent sandwiches and beers.
If you wanna get real adventurous, West Seattle has a great pizza place called Talarico's that serves gigantic NY style slices. Take the water taxi from downtown for maximum fun, then catch a bus up to the California junction area. Or just take a rapid ride C from downtown, but the water taxi is cool.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Been quite a few times, all for the Dota 2 International, and once for an Amazon interview back when they flew in anyone that got past a phone interview and made to in-person interview to Seattle regardless of where you would actually work. At least they did this for basically anything above warehouse or delivery drivers. I don't know if they still do it, but I didn't get the job and that was for the better.

The first time my wife and I stayed for a few days after TI was over to do tourist-y stuff. We did Space Needle, MoPop museum (I think it was named something else back then), aquarium, Pike Place Market, and some other things. It's always an enjoyable city to visit. Last year they had TI in Seattle again for the first time in six years, it was so nice to be back there.

Definitely going to give my plus one to the "Take the Light Rail" suggestions. It's $3 and can get you from the airport all the way to downtown (definitely in U district and downtown). An absolute microscopic fraction of an Uber/cab cost. Also goes back to the airport too, absolutely worth walking a few blocks with your luggage to or from your hotel.

I know it can get pretty hot in the summer, but every time I've been there it's been like August-October and got pretty cold.

Jan 20, 2022
Pike Place and Space Needle are obvious, but they're also awesome so don't skip them. The Amazon Spheres are a feat of engineering and look really cool, but Amazon also kind of sucks so idk…

If you like movies, check out SIFF Downtown (most storied theater in Seattle) of the PacSci IMAX (best IMAX in WA).

If you like sports, catch a game at Queen Ann Beerhall - great place to watch the NBA/NHL Playoffs.

Similarly, Mariners tickets are super cheap and the games are fun, assuming you like baseball.

If you like seafood, pick a place. You can't go wrong. If you like bars/nightlife, Cap Hill is fun.

Kerry Park has the best view of the city. West Seattle has a great beach town aesthetic (except it's pretty cold rn).

If you like shopping, you'll need to go to Bellevue

OP
OP
battousai

battousai

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions thus far! If I have an early flight out, is the light rail available or do I have to Uber?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Good thread to pick through:

www.resetera.com

Best Restaurants and Bars in Seattle

A buddy of mine and I will be going to Seattle for a few days near the end of October for an impromptu trip. We both love to eat and we both love to drink, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions from people who know the city well for places to check out. We're staying downtown near Pike Place...

An additional tip: If you can get to the Chicken Supply in Greenwood while it's open, place an order in advance and get no less than a breast/wing/thigh trifecta. You've never had fried chicken as good as this, spicy or no. It's "book a flight to Seattle" good.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Wow This is convenient. I'm headed to Seattle to I. September. These are some nice suggestions.

I still need to book a hotel. Are there any good ones around the light railnstayions? I'm hoping to use public transport for most of it. I'll be staying a few days so something cheaper would be better.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Wow This is convenient. I'm headed to Seattle to I. September. These are some nice suggestions.

I still need to book a hotel. Are there any good ones around the light railnstayions? I'm hoping to use public transport for most of it. I'll be staying a few days so something cheaper would be better.

There's a hotel called Royal Sonesta or something like that which is only a couple of blocks away from the light rail stop. I enjoyed my stay there, and it was around a 10 minute walk to Pike Place Market.