Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, if I could understand Japanese I expect my position on autoplay/listening to change, but for now just listening to snippets of their voice is sufficient for me to fill in the audio space & perceive the tone etc. Of course fast clicking does ignore character animations as well, but saving time is just preferable to me because I do have a bit of VN backlog.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That does make me curious: does people listen to the entire voice when reading VN? I personally find it to be huge time sink, and will click through to interrupt the talking as soon as I finished reading the dialogue.

If it's in Japanese, never absolutely no point. English I will do occasionally but once I get a feel for their voice I have a pretty easy time reading it in their voice anyway so I'll do like a 50 50 thing usually let the VA go uninterrupted in big scenes but otherwise will skip once I've read the current textbox.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Ended up finishing all the routes in Muv-Luv Extra. I think it was just the archery route I wasn't digging. The rest were fine and had their moments.

Anyway, finally started on Muv Luv Unlimited. I can already say, if it keeps up what it's doing. This'll be a very interesting ride once I get to alternative.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

Would love to see this released in the west. Looking at Jast's pace on the PC versions though, I do not think this could be done like Steins;Gate.

apeache

Oct 27, 2017
That does make me curious: does people listen to the entire voice when reading VN? I personally find it to be huge time sink, and will click through to interrupt the talking as soon as I finished reading the dialogue.

I'm a slow reader and have low attention span, so listening to Japanese voice would only distract me more. But I still do this on significant scenes, or when I'm in the mood for expanding Japanese vocabularies.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I've had cases where Rice Digital delivered my game... and then I got a shipping confirmation email.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm checking out the coming soon section on my switch and theres a VN coming to it called gaokao.love.100days and I can prepurchase it, can anybody tell me whats up about it? Is it any good?

Deleted member 1484

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that it's just North America that's affected and not Canada

Edit: VGP listing says 9th October now... Did they actually ship your game?

I made an order with Punch Line and VC4, and on September 13th I got the partial shipping confirmed, with a tracking number, even:

YUGqPsj.png

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if VGP got the game ahead of everyone else and has already shipped it. They did the same thing with Muv-Luv a few months ago.

Oct 28, 2017
I made an order with Punch Line and VC4, and on September 13th I got the partial shipping confirmed, with a tracking number, even:

YUGqPsj.png
Mine was shipped on the 12th, should be here next week I'm guessing.
I was pretty confused that it was shipped 2 weeks early and then that their site had changed it to an October release date.

Edit: Arrived this morning, vgp continue to be wizards I guess.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So I might be getting a tablet soon and was wondering... how well does Steam run on it? I know that it can, and makes it useful for VNs, but how well does it work? Are there only certain titles compatible with tablets, or should they all be a safe bet?

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
So I'm finally going through all of Period Cube to get it off my backlog and boy is this one... not great. I thought Norn9 had story issues, but PC is ten times worse. Plot holes out the ass, poor explanations, awful main character, half of the romances are incredibly questionable (Zain, Demento, ESPECIALLY Unlockable Route Guy), art quality in the CG's is all over the place...

At least some of the side characters were fun. And Astrum and Radius were enjoyable.

If I like the character/voice actor, I'll usually sit through most of their voiced dialogue. But like you said, it's a huge time sink since I read the lines way faster than the voices deliver them.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
So I might be getting a tablet soon and was wondering... how well does Steam run on it? I know that it can, and makes it useful for VNs, but how well does it work? Are there only certain titles compatible with tablets, or should they all be a safe bet?

Depends on the tablet. Mine is pretty weak, but will run several visual novels.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
So, umm, White Album 2 translation patch just got released, in case anyone's interested.
Both IC and CC are supposed to be translated, with Coda and Mini-Story coming at a later date.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It gets worse - they completely removed one of the characters from the original. Also, some violence and a certain death doesn't get shown at all.

Wait, what? I assume this is how the Japanese version was, too? So, which character/violent death got the boot?

Only redeeming factor is that we're finally getting Bounded Phenogram, because if not for that...

I knew about the 8-bit version, but didn't even know we were getting this. Sounds like a limited time/pre-order only thing, though. Pre-ordered both copies on Best Buy, cause GCU, so I can make sure to get them. (More excited for those 2 bonuses than the main game :x)

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? I assume this is how the Japanese version was, too? So, which character/violent death got the boot?

I knew about the 8-bit version, but didn't even know we were getting this. Sounds like a limited time/pre-order only thing, though. Pre-ordered both copies on Best Buy, cause GCU, so I can make sure to get them. (More excited for those 2 bonuses than the main game :x)

4C got cut.

As for the violence and death - they didn't get cut, they just aren't...shown. Since, I assume they weren't shown in the anime either.

"-That- Nae scene in Elite is also... Really bad. None of the violence is actually shown, it's a lot of still frames of Okabe looking scared and that's it. Moeka's death is also not fully shown."

calc84maniac

Oct 25, 2017
4C got cut.

As for the violence and death - they didn't get cut, they just aren't...shown. Since, I assume they weren't shown in the anime either.

"-That- Nae scene in Elite is also... Really bad. None of the violence is actually shown, it's a lot of still frames of Okabe looking scared and that's it. Moeka's death is also not fully shown."

Actually, that may have been a mistake on Steiner's part.
There was a time leap involved in that part of the story and he only watched the part post time leap where Moeka doesn't actually die.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
I was a little bored with about 90% of it. Everything with Battler in the end was good (everything with Battler in general is good) but everything aside from that wasn't grabbing me. It was some kind of weird philosophical chuuni romanticizing as a coping mechanism angle and I wasn't feeling it. I feel like the entire "chuunibyou delusion" explanation is hammered in too heavily to buy into. I also felt like it had a lot of repeating or otherwise filler parts that I've already seen in previous episodes. The tea parties were really great though. They made it seem like Bern and Lambda are the endgame. In any case, I like Q1-3 a lot more than 4 when treated standalone.

The 12 years later pov mentioned an "accident" that I'm curious about but they never went further into it. All I managed to follow was that all of the bodies disappeared and Eva avoided something in Kuwadorian, I think? The delayed letters with money were creepy too. One thing I still can't get out of my head is how Rudolf said "I'm gonna die tonight" in Q1 (or was it Q2), that has to be a clue to something, but it was never mentioned again.

Also, my playtime is currently on ~94 hours. I never let the game idle more than a bathroom break. Look will this take me over 200 hours? Am I really that much slower than everyone else? Whew. I know I said I have a lot of holidays this month but dude. Help

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a little bored with about 90% of it. Everything with Battler in the end was good (everything with Battler in general is good) but everything aside from that wasn't grabbing me. It was some kind of weird philosophical chuuni romanticizing as a coping mechanism angle and I wasn't feeling it. I feel like the entire "chuunibyou delusion" explanation is hammered in too heavily to buy into. I also felt like it had a lot of repeating or otherwise filler parts that I've already seen in previous episodes. The tea parties were really great though. They made it seem like Bern and Lambda are the endgame. In any case, I like Q1-3 a lot more than 4 when treated standalone.

The 12 years later pov mentioned an "accident" that I'm curious about but they never went further into it. All I managed to follow was that all of the bodies disappeared and Eva avoided something in Kuwadorian, I think? The delayed letters with money were creepy too. One thing I still can't get out of my head is how Rudolf said "I'm gonna die tonight" in Q1 (or was it Q2), that has to be a clue to something, but it was never mentioned again.

Also, my playtime is currently on ~94 hours. I never let the game idle more than a bathroom break. Look will this take me over 200 hours? Am I really that much slower than everyone else? Whew. I know I said I have a lot of holidays this month but dude. Help

It took me at most 100 hours total, so yeah, it seems voices really add a lot.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
4C got cut.

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the 4C story. Sucks it got cut, but does nothing for me, personally.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Higurashi Ep. 2

That ending was pretty awful.
So they establish that the defining moment that changes everything for Mion and sets her down the path to eventually torturing/killing her closest friends and neighbors is that she didn't get a stuffed bear from the protagonist. This is the defining moment that sets off the chain reaction that causes the events in this story. After establishing that their best friend is a murderer our protagonist listens to a sob back story, forgets that his other friends are dead, and begins to sympathize with the weight of leadership Mion has had to carry on her shoulders. He then follows her, alone, without his only other surviving friend, into a secluded cellar where surprise shes going to try to kill him again.

days/weeks later protagonist cries about how mean the media is being towards his best friend who killed almost everyone else he ever knew and interacted with - noting the "distorted image" they used to portray her. Then everything else happens.

Do they ever explain how the entire village knows that they're the ones who broke into the storehouse to begin with?

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Recommendations for horror themed or horror adjacent vns? I've already got Neighbor coming out in a few days and Death Mark won't be out until Halloween.

I've read Fata Morgana, Phenomeno, Cupid, and what's been released of Higurashi.