Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
EDIT: It's only dropping it for Cross-Platform (Xamarin) apps, UWP is slowly on its path of being diminished here and there little by little...

D2nneUIU4AA4vXi.jpg:large

Oops, it definitely seems like UWP's days are numbered. Good news for Microsoft's presence in PC gaming if they continue on the MCC PC path (Steam + MS Store).

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Good. Ever since Microsoft abandoned Windows Phone / Mobile it stopped making sense to push UWP.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
https://developercommunity.visualst...udio-2019-preview-11-cannot-create-a-uwp.html

Hi! We removed the UWP option on Xamarin Forms in d16 to simplify the template and the workflow. You can add a UWP project after creating the initial solution if you need to support the platform. Thanks for reporting! J
The is at the moment no plan to reactivate that, but if you need UWP you can always add it via Add New Project after you create the cross platform solution. UWP is still fully supported.

This is a very premature victory lap.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I actually know Morten. This is a huge deal for everyone using Xamarin Forms as it's much easier to debug in UWP then Android and iOS. I don't know what's going on.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
There you go. It wasn't realistic to think that they wouldn't stick it out at least a few more years.

Ms never abandons stuff at the right time. It only abandons things too late, when it has long since peaked and yet has a small minority horribly dependent on their technology.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
UWP is really one of those good ideas that was totally fucked over by corporate greed. To me the current system of folders littered with DLL and EXE files in Windows is incredibly stupid. OSX's .app containers work so much better because to move or install the app you just copy it. In Windows it would require reinstalling the whole damn thing or possibly a lot of registry editing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Good. UWP is a garbage platform and I welcome any steps towards its demise.

I would gladly subscribe to a a full Windows Game Pass; but only if they finally kill off UWP and fix that busted-ass Windows Store.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
this looks to be just for xamarin, which pwa's fill most of that niche tbh. microsoft is not dropping their support for uwps, they absolutely need to continue to develop it. classic windows apps are not up to snuff in the new multi device, always online world. anyway, they have devices like hololens that use uwp, and their new OS that will be announced at build for light weight computers. uwp isn't going away.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Incredibly misleading thread. Visual Studio is not dropping support for UWP.

why UWP seems to be on its way out
OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
this looks to be just for xamarin, which pwa's fill most of that niche tbh. microsoft is not dropping their support for uwps, they absolutely need to continue to develop it. classic windows apps are not up to snuff in the new multi device, always online world. anyway, they have devices like hololens that use uwp, and their new OS that will be announced at build for light weight computers. uwp isn't going away.
Even if legacy apps couldn't sustain a mobile/modern platform, I just don't think that UWP will be a fit for that, it just seems to be on its way out:
  • The new MS Edge browser will come in a legacy form (.exe also supporting Windows 7)
  • Office UWP apps development being suspended https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...nt-of-touch-friendly-office-apps-for-windows/
  • Games are tested to work on a legacy form through the Windows Store as we speak (State of Decay)
  • Halo MCC releasing on Steam and compatible up to Windows 7 (and maybe even linux through Steam Proton)
  • ... and now UWP support being dropped a bit randomly around the MS development suites
Even modern devices like hololens or other WMR VR headsets are open to any platforms other than UWP's, like Steam VR in the case of WMR headsets and Hololens' openess seems to be even broader. When you start neglecting your own platform like that in the present, you can't pretend that it's built for the future.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Even if legacy apps couldn't sustain a mobile/modern platform, I just don't think that UWP will be a fit for that, it just seems to be on its way out:
  • The new MS Edge browser will come in a legacy form (.exe also supporting Windows 7)
  • Office UWP apps development being suspended https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...nt-of-touch-friendly-office-apps-for-windows/
  • Games are tested to work on a legacy form through the Windows Store as we speak (State of Decay)
  • Halo MCC releasing on Steam and compatible up to Windows 7 (and maybe even linux through Steam Proton)
  • ... and now UWP support being dropped a bit randomly around the MS development suites
Even modern devices like hololens or other WMR VR headsets are open to any platforms other than UWP's, like Steam VR in the case of WMR headsets and Hololens' openess seems to be even broader. When you start neglecting your own platform like that in the present, you can't pretend that it's built for the future.
uwp has definitely been lessened with no more mobile plans but I highly doubt they are going to stop developing it. a modern app platform is too important to stop.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say much of this. Microsoft's realized there isn't much to gain from trying to shove UWP down the throat of the computing world. They'll probably keep it around, but if it's going to grow, it's got to be organically.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017

Hololens does not support non-UWP Win32 apps (unlike WMR). Whether it is "open" is a separate question. Firefox is coming to Hololens 2 because they are porting it to UWP.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say much of this. Microsoft's realized there isn't much to gain from trying to shove UWP down the throat of the computing world. They'll probably keep it around, but if it's going to grow, it's got to be organically.

The issue I have with that is that while there's great benefit to end-users if most software moves to a containerized platform (greatly reducing problems with security, maintenance burden, "winrot", battery life, etc.), there's no obvious benefit to an individual developer from containerizing their particular software. It does ultimately benefit developers collectively (by making end-users less afraid to try out new software, and thus expanding the market for their products), but not individually.

So it's a "prisoner's dilemma" or "tragedy of the commons" sort of problem. As such I do think there needs to be some incentive for developers ("shoving down their throats"?) - provided either by the platform vendor or someone else (e.g., government regulation)

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
The version of Edge that can run on windows 7 is based on Chromium. MS is slowly deprecating Edge Html for use in their browser.

The native app for OneNote is being dropped, despite the Windows 10 version had less features and requires OneDrive to use. From Office 2019 onwards the UWP version of OneNote is the only one getting feature updates.