pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VIVE SRWorks SDK

With the launch of VIVE Pro, developers will now have access to the stereo front facing cameras to create new experiences that can mix the see-through stereo camera view and their virtual worlds. This will enable developers to perform 3D perception and depth sensing with the stereo RGB sensors, opening new worlds for more creative, interactive experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gckvs-fHFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxK2c4Qvkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB1ZoJwyms

http://community.viveport.com/t5/De...-Vive-Pro-front-facing-cameras-and/ba-p/17573

Video of someone from reddit trying it out:

One of the cool things about it is that you can save your room map, which could then be passed to games. With a rough idea of the physical objects in your room, the game could place game items in the locations where real objects exist in your room. It's basically a much more advanced version of the chaperone grid that would allow you to use more of your space (e.g. the free space above your couch) without triggering the traditional chaperone bounds.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
This is amazing.
At some point these headsets will be a contact lense and a sticker for your ear lobe. Eeek.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
This is super cool in theory, but I predict exactly zero titles will use this.

Combine the already limited VR install base + the Vive Pro's ludicrously high price + the need to dynamically adapt the game to a multitude of different room arrangements.

Maybe in five years. Maybe.

OP
OP
pj-

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Combine the already limited VR install base + the Vive Pro's ludicrously high price + the need to dynamically adapt the game to a multitude of different room arrangements.

I don't think it'll be all that difficult really, and some indies on the vive reddit have said they got the SDK early and are incorporating it into their games. The dynamic adaptation will mostly just be putting simple boxes/crates where furniture items are, and smaller random objects to take up the rest of the space. As a first pass at it they could overlay the room map in the game and allow the player to place the objects manually. Assuming your room doesn't change daily, that would be a one time process. I'm sure most people would be fine with just knowing where their couch and tv are so they know where to sit and not-punch respectively.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it'll be all that difficult really, and some indies on the vive reddit have said they got the SDK early and are incorporating it into their games. The dynamic adaptation will mostly just be putting simple boxes/crates where furniture items are, and smaller random objects to take up the rest of the space. As a first pass at it they could overlay the room map in the game and allow the player to place the objects manually. Assuming your room doesn't change daily, that would be a one time process. I'm sure most people would be fine with just knowing where their couch and tv are so they know where to sit and not-punch respectively.

I guess if devs say they're already using it...

I've long wished that devs would just let me calibrate my freaking chair for seated experiences. Games like I Expect You To Die would be much better if I could just set the height and width of the in-game chair to match my real-world one before I began playing, which wouldn't be difficult at all with the existing Vive controllers.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

As long as the overall mapping ends up behaving similarly to how Hololen's SDK handles it there'll at least be some re-usable overlap there. Not that there's a massive market for Hololens games given it's not consumer, but it's a very simple SDK to use and stick in the mapping in way under a day.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty neat.

Like many things about the Vice Pro, I'd expect it to be primarily used in fixed installations and professional settings (ie. product presentations etc.).

Few games even use the existing room shape information available since the Vive launch.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't about photogrammetry but the room scanning is what it makes me think of.

I want a future AR camera that you wear and it scans an environment into a photogrammetry 3D model as you walk around. Maybe can use radar bounces or something to more accurately scan as well as real good cameras.

It's fine if you have to put up reference point sensors before you start scanning. I just want photogrammetry for dummies and I want it now.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
This is what VR needs. I really hope Sony goes all out on PSVR2 and includes features like this. A button press on the headset to switch back to reality would be a huge plus. Having the headset able to map your surroundings like this of course plays into safety aspects as well as games that could take advantage of this. A 3D platformer using your room as the landscape for the character and so on.

I mention PSVR since I'll never own a gaming PC, this is my only route in.

OP
OP
pj-

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't about photogrammetry but the room scanning is what it makes me think of.

I want a future AR camera that you wear and it scans an environment into a photogrammetry 3D model as you walk around. Maybe can use radar bounces or something to more accurately scan as well as real good cameras.

It's fine if you have to put up reference point sensors before you start scanning. I just want photogrammetry for dummies and I want it now.

That's exactly what this is. Go to 2:20 in the last video in OP. The guy scanned his room then explored the (not great) photogrammetry model of it

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what this is. Go to 2:20 in the last video in OP. The guy scanned his room then explored the (not great) photogrammetry model of it

Ah very nice. Did not see that part. So yeah I just want that but one I can take outdoors, maybe spike some sensors in a tree, and I want a high quality model with high res textures :)

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The feature is a nice gimmick, but the camera quality is too bad.
Ah very nice. Did not see that part. So yeah I just want that but one I can take outdoors, maybe spike some sensors in a tree, and I want a high quality model with high res textures :)
So you want an AR device? Well, this still will take some time, because you need energy and hardware to make that possible ...