KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just remember that dress codes are marketing. You leverage biases and assumptions to convince people you know what you're doing and are good at it. It's important when driven by a requirement to face customers. When completely internal and self imposed it suggests a poor ordering of priorities.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a personal attack, nor am Iot saying the VP is or is not homophobic, just that it's a thought that came to mind.

I can appreciate the comments about it being too loud.

I'm vegetarian and try real hard to not deal with leather. I didn't know how to work that into the OP. Just as I sometimes have to wear jeans, depending on what I'm doing.

Right now I'm wearing this cloth belt. This would be similar to the fox belt, for an additional example, except replace anchors with foxes (and it is 100% synthetic).
c9a5d25a9282d7a01887b3747289d3fc.jpg

So, by contrast, business casual or not on this belt?

Borderline. Some places maybe, but generally probably not. Think one color, no graphic patterns.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and you absolutely never wear that belt to work again as long as that VP works for the company, nor anything equally colorful.

I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
OP asked if it could be homophobia, i said we can't discard the possibility, but the belt is still tacky and unprofessional. i don't get why you people are being so hung upon me commenting on the things OP proposed.
I did edit my message as I realized you weren't saying it specifically (sorry). But yeah, we as society need to stop pre-freaking out. we need to stop pre-supposing people suck. Plenty of people suck. Plenty of people do shit daily that shows just how much they suck. But when someone is 100% justified in what they do or ask for, we as society need to stop trying to play the discrimination card. There will (unfortunately) be PLENTY of opportunities to play the discrimination card free and clear.. but calling discrimination at every available opportunity.. especially times when there are one or more plainly valid reasons at play.. we hurt ourselves.. there is literally a hundred plus year old fable on this (boy who cried wolf) that is still valid today.

it's like a terrible worker getting fired and then telling everyone "it was because I was black/gay/female/hispanic/muslim/etc".. and it's like "no, it was because you were a terrible worker".

people need some personal accountability in this world.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
I don't think this is a personal attack, nor am Iot saying the VP is or is not homophobic, just that it's a thought that came to mind.

I'm vegetarian and try real hard to not deal with leather. I didn't know how to work that into the OP. Just as I sometimes have to wear jeans, depending on what I'm doing.

Right now I'm wearing this cloth belt. This would be similar to the fox belt, for an additional example, except replace anchors with foxes (and it is 100% synthetic).

And I thought this interesting to bring up, since women's belts that would qualify as "business casual" might involve colors, adornments, and so on.

Dude you gotta accept your lot. You should look like the person equivalent of a beige Honda Civic for work.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
umm... wtf? c'mon guys. "he had a 100% justified reason for telling you you couldn't wear it, and I have no proof of ANY sort, but yeah he could definitely be a homophobe.
Like I said, I don't think so, either, but one could infer, given the belt's stylings. I have no evidence, and it's likely not the case, but I put it under the header "Thoughts" because that's all it was.

And here I thought I was being dangerous by not tucking my shirt in every day.
I legit LOL'd at this.

Generation X, but I'm in IT. Most people don't give a fuck 'bout us. And I can wear jeans! I much prefer chinos, as a general rule, but my job can get filthy. Like, basin-water-is-black-when-washing-hands filthy.

Oh, and you absolutely never wear that belt to work again as long as that VP works for the company, nor anything equally colorful.

I don't think this is the hill you want to die on.
I'm not challenging anyone at corporate, or my boss. When my boss told me I adhered. I just thought the whole scenario would make for a topic of discussion.

I gotta say, though, I do love these work stories!

These belts the OP is wearing make me wonder what the rest of their clothes look like.
giphy.gif

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Generation X, but I'm in IT. Most people don't give a fuck 'bout us. And I can wear jeans! I much prefer chinos, as a general rule, but my job can get filthy. Like, basin-water-is-black-when-washing-hands filthy.

If that's true, it means you're in your very late 30s at the youngest end... You should know better by now, OP, what 'business casual' means. Haha.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
That's totally business casual, provided you work at a circus.

Fucking millenials man, this is why the other generations hate us.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Business casual usually means clothes with no words, muted colors, but I dunno.

This. Have been dressing BC my entire career, and this is pretty much the perfect description. No real designs or pictures/logos or anything. It's about the most bland and boring/typical type of dress ever. But if its your job, make sure you adhere. They aren't likely to entertain that you don't feel its fair. That belt definitely doesn't fit with Business Casual.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Dress codes are a fairly nonsense idea and it's strange that you've been perfectly fine in wearing the belt for as long as you have until now.

But it is what it is. That's not business casual. At all.

Fucking millenials man, this is why the other generations hate us.

If that's why other generations hate us, then they're irrational assholes and we shouldn't care what they think.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Just think of what the most boring white person you know wears at a bar. That's business casual.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Before i could read or understand the meaning i thought it was too flashy for a bussines enviroment, my two cents

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not afraid of many things (lie), but having to legitimately worry about whether something is or isn't office casual is probably in my top five.

When people ask me why I became a programmer, I'm going to provide a link to this thread.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And I thought this interesting to bring up, since women's belts that would qualify as "business casual" might involve colors, adornments, and so on.
I use these vegan belts: https://www.herbivoreclothing.com/1-brown-coleman-belt-by-herbivore-clothing.html

https://www.bravegentleman.com/index.php/accessories/hand-cut-belt-black.html

Cat Pee

Oct 25, 2017
The anchor belt is far better, but it's still technically not business casual. Depending on how strictly your employer defines BC, you might still be able to get away with it.

People who disregard dress code are weird. Why intentionally disadvantage yourself and harm your own credibility with coworkers and superiors?

I say this while wearing bold floral in my office, but my employer opted for a super loose and relaxed definition of business casual (considering henleys are technically allowed, I don't even consider it BC), it's still compliant.

Last edited:

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That is most def not business casual.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not afraid of many things (lie), but having to legitimately worry about whether something is or isn't office casual is probably in my top five.

When people ask me why I became a programmer, I'm going to provide a link to this thread.
Button up shirt and khakis. Where am I sending the bill?

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Dress codes are a fairly nonsense idea and it's strange that you've been perfectly fine in wearing the belt for as long as you have until now.

But it is what it is. That's not business casual. At all.

If that's why other generations hate us, then they're irrational assholes and we shouldn't care what they think.
It's not just wearing that clownish belt, but also the moaning your boss is a homephobe when it clearly doesn't adhere to the dress code. Vintage entitled millenial.

He's Gen X anyway so whatever, pointless to discuss right now lol

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That belt looks like something for a toddler not an adult in a business environment.

Branu

Banned
Feb 7, 2018
Glad I don't work for a company with a dress code. I can wear anything I want: shorts, sneakers, sweatpants, etc. OP might want to find another place of employment, since it's clear that one has some issues with modern corporate settings.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Casual yes - would work in Sweden pretty much anywhere inhouse since we dress generally more casual at work

If you were in sales or representing the company in any capacity outwards even here that would probably be too much, yes