• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I still like it, but not enough to deal with the cumbersome setup anymore. Once the least intrusive wireless VR takes off, I'll be back on board.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
No.

Just wait until we get full body VR and I assure you traditional gaming will be a minority.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, VR is still amazing to me. I can't play RE7 any other way now.

And down the line, say Fallout 5 or something is released but there's also a VR version available, I will go for the VR option every single time, it's next level immersion.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I had a Vive, wouldn't say it's lost it's appeal, but the tech has a way to go, and I'm sure in 5 years time, it'll be incredible! I guess the other thing, is that seated VR, or standing, is very lame compared to the kind of experience room scale offers, trouble is the very thing that makes the Vive so cool, is the same thing that'll put people off.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's really freaking cool, so I guess it still has appeal for me.

Some though, not enough to actually go through with hooking it up, especially since I recently rearranged my living room and there's less of an open space for it. I haven't hooked my Rift up in months.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Iono I'm pretty hyped for Tetris Effect and Robot Rescue. Even From Softwares new game looks super interesting.

When PS5 launches with PSVR2, is when that party will be getting crazy! Just a patch that offers a resolution bump for RE7 will be exciting.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
I still love VR. I have 2 psvr sets. Don't use them super often and still use regular tv as not all experience translate well to vr (I love my third person adventures like GOW or assassin creed) but I love racing in VR (have a wheel setup) puzzle games are amazing as well and I have more fun with skyrim and RE7 than in their more beautiful 2d versions. I would not see myself just play in VR but some experience benefit greatly from it. I will for sure buy a psvr2 and don't mind being a beta tester in the meanwhile. I ll probably buy a new pc setup and vive 2 as well once everything gets to a point its worth the expense. In the meantime I enjoy my psvr even if its not perfect. Honestly the biggest thing for me would be wireless and roomscale done right, graphics don't matter that much. Just a few more years and we ll be there

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
I've been playing Skyrim VR since it came out and just started the Dawnguard DLC. Still not bored! Archery with the moves is the bomb! It made me actually like the game considering I played it on ps3 and didn't last more than an hour.

Resident Evil 7 VR was probably the most intense gaming experience Ive had all year.

Paintball in Rec Room never gets old. I can always jump in for a couple rounds.

I almost wish I wasn't so into VR, because I don't have enough time to play it :/

With Blood and Truth, Firewall, and the From Software VR game coming out - I can't really see myself wanting to give up the technology anytime soon.

Also, does anyone have any recommendation for living room setups that work for them? I know it can change depending on the game, but for SKyrim I find playing sitting on a stool with a fan blowing in my face is the most comfortable and allows me to play for the longest amounts of time.

Gives me full archery movement while keeping me cool :)

Deleted member 12177

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a rift and I use for 90% sim racing and 10% boxing games. For sim racing, if you've done it on VR, there's really no going back. All the worries I had about motion sickness went away quickly and with super sampling at 1.3, the visuals are fine.

I enjoy boxing so BoxVR and Thrill of the Fight are good fun. Not very polished as they are 1-2 man operations but good fun regardless. However, absolutely not worth buy a VR headset for these. They're nice to have once you have a headset for other reasons.

Outside of simracing, I'm not that interested in playing RE7 and normal games in such a manner. If anything, VR got me into the deep world of simracing which is adding up in costs quickly! Simracing in VR is a respectable substitute to track driving in terms of learning tracks and keeping your skills sharp.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The big headsets with tons of wires really hurt the current experience for me.

I'm waiting for smaller, more comfortable headsets, wireless, and overall increased resolution/graphics.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'd be lying if I said the PSVR I purchased early this year hadn't lost a lot of its appeal by now. My biggest issue is that it doesn't in any way 'feel' seamless. For a regular game I can just turn the respective console on, scroll to the game/put the disc in and play, but for a VR game I have to:

1) Get the headset out of its case
2) Unravel/untangle the insanely long and obnoxiously thick wire
3) Plug both wires into the breakout box
4) Clean off any dust and worry about scratching the lens
5) Get the Move controllers out, strap them on and hope I didn't get left and right mixed up
6) Make sure the camera's in a good position

Just to play a session. Add on to that other factors such as the need to not be disturbed for a fair bit (for immersion and because putting it on and off is a pain) and the constant worry of motion sickness that, for someone who doesn't play all the time, is something that's very hard to get acclimatised to. That's not to mention how much space it takes up, especially the Breakout box which literally doubles the amount of wires I need to play my PS4.

Moss was the last great experience for me in PSVR and, since then, all my time with it has been spent either trying (and failing) to get into Skyrim VR, watching a few YT videos, maybe playing one of the many shooting galleries for a bit, and then leaving fairly disappointed. It really feels like a technology that's still in its infancy, especially the PSVR which, until a potential PSVR2 on the PS5, will always have that feeling of being a slapdash 'attachment' to existing tech (the need for a breakout box, the lack of analog stick on the Move controllers, the awful tracking system due to using a camera made for video chat, etc).

I'll keep the PSVR around because games like Tetris Effect, Deracine and Ace Combat 7 do look promising, but if it weren't for those I'd have sold it a while ago.

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bored of wave shooters in VR. There are only so many ways you can do them before everything effectively becomes a reskin.

But VR itself? No, not a chance that I'm bored with it. Just like any other platform with a unique feature the right game or experience makes it shine. No pun intended, but games like Skyrim take on a new dimension with and even greater level of immersion than before. Titles with some thought and that take advantage of the hardware such as Moss really shine. GT Sport is a great game. But GT Sport in VR is amazing.

I feel we're in a similar situation to when the DS/3DS lines came out. When few games seemed to know what to do with that second screen or touch. A few years down the line and that line is now regarded as one of the best ever due to quality of its combined library. The issue is that until you try it, it's very difficult to get the sensation of being in a VR world across to others. However, everyone that has tried my PSVR has loved it and a few have even bought consoles just to get one.

We're talking about people who've never shown an interest in games actually buying their first console after trying VR. Maybe this gen of VR won't go down as full of classics, but it won't go away. It's far too compelling an experience to do so.

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
I just bought a PSVR and I absolutely HATE it.

A blurry mess wich constantly makes me wanna thow up.

I imagine I'm on the worst side of the spectrum with the massive motion sickness, but even based only on the visual quality and gameplay experiences, I don't think this thing is even close to being satisfactory to me.

Also, I don't think it is immersive at all since it is so intrusive with the micro field of vision, massive pixelation and all the cables.

I understand Rift and Vive are supposed to be much better, but I gotta be honest, I'm HARD out based on my terrible first impression with PSVR.

So there you have it, VR lost it's appeal to me immediatly after trying it.

spruce zeus

Banned
May 1, 2018
I just bought a PSVR and I absolutely HATE it.

A blurry mess wich constantly makes me wanna thow up.

I imagine I'm on the worst side of the spectrum with the massive motion sickness, but even based only on the visual quality and gameplay experiences, I don't think this thing is even close to being satisfactory to me.

Also, I don't think it is immersive at all since it is so intrusive with the micro field of vision, massive pixelation and all the cables.

I understand Rift and Vive are supposed to be much better, but I gotta be honest, I'm HARD out based on my terrible first impression with PSVR.

So there you have it, VR lost it's appeal to me immediatly after trying it.

what games have you tried? every experience is so completely different. it seems a bit weird to write off an entirely new gaming medium until you've at least tried a few different genres....

I recommend superhot as a first go to. The play space and lack of locomotion means you won't experience motion sickness and it's controls and mechanics are completely unique to VR. It's truly a one of a kind experience that has impressed everyone I've shown it to.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Has 720p completely lost it's appeal?"

Tech will improve guys over time. With 4k and HDR becoming the norm, viewing a low res screen up close is making the gulf bigger and bigger. VR still wows me but I can understand the negatives people have. The biggest gripe is FOV imo.

Wires are something I don't mind but I understand bother people. I feel wires are a necessary evil in terms of hitting a good cost and response time.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
They just need to innovate faster. Version 1 was cool but there are still some limitations about it (screen door effect, headset weight, too many cables, resolution). Once these issues are solved with future revisions and the price comes down, it will grow.

Oct 27, 2017
It never appealed to me but I was open to it enticing me over time. Still waiting. Just doesnt seem to be that interesting to me for what I want out of games.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No.

Just wait until we get full body VR and I assure you traditional gaming will be a minority.

Full body VR may not hut at affordable prices in our lifetime, as slow as things are progressing. This tech is too expensive and cumbersome to take off as is. That will just add more problems. I hope I will live to see the day, but I'm not bankin on it.

More likely VR will disappear again for a decade or two and come back for a completely new round two (or three, or four).

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
The biggest barrier is overcoming the laziness to put on the headset. It needs to be significantly easier to set up; it needs a smaller form factor; it needs to be more comfortable. The Oculus Go is a good approach but the specs are very limited. It needs better specs: resolution, field of view, locomotion solution . And at the same time the price has to go down and more AAA games need to be announced.
It's going to be very hard to get there. And I'm not sure will get there if companies keep losing a ton of money and the market doesn't respond.

el_skywalker

Feb 8, 2018
Brazil
what games have you tried? every experience is so completely different. it seems a bit weird to write off an entirely new gaming medium until you've at least tried a few different genres....

I recommend superhot as a first go to. The play space and lack of locomotion means you won't experience motion sickness and it's controls and mechanics are completely unique to VR. It's truly a one of a kind experience that has impressed everyone I've shown it to.

VR Worlds, Resident Evil 7, RIGS, Until Dawn Rush of Blood, The Playroom VR, Driveclub VR, Bound (probaly the one I liked the most in VR), aside from some of those free "experience" things on PSN and a lot of demos from the two demo discs. I didn't play a lot of each of them, since it makes me really sick, but it's not like I've ruled it out immediately. I think I gave it a fair chance.

The thing is, it just didnt wow me at all, and since it costs so much of my well being to play it, it's just not worth the effort. And not that it's the main factor here, but the games look so spectacularly awful, and I have a Pro.

The first thing I thought when I tried it on was "We are so, so ,sooooooooooo far away from the Matrix." haha

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
VR is amazing, but I sold my Vive late last year. Not planning to buy new headset until prices come down and tech evolves. Higher resolution is a must.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Feel the same op, except I had a Vive and a Rift. Sold them both and haven't once missed them.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Still love it, but the games are generally short and we're in a lull for new content right now. Playing though RE7 and Superhot in are 2 of my favorite experiences in ALL of gaming and I'd kill for another — there just aren't any available right now.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Still love it, but the games are generally short and we're in a lull for new content right now. Playing though RE7 and Superhot in are 2 of my favorite experiences in ALL of gaming and I'd kill for another — there just aren't any available right now.

I would say, apart from PSVR, there are a lot of "real" games out. Mages Tale, Subnautica, Skyrim VR etc.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never lost the 'wow factor' and I've had a Gear VR since Feb2016 and a PSVR since launch. The only thing that kills me right now for VR is the lack of content. VR is in a wierd experimentation phase and needs to figure out things like its version of dual analog sticks and hardware upgrades. If they did VR remasters like they did regular remasters at the beginning of this gen I would probably never play regular games again. Playing Doom VFR for the first time last week was amazing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
VR will be everywhere eventually. Just needs more time. Once it is less expensive, lightweight, convenient & small everyone will be jacked in.

Steven_Cox

Jun 13, 2018
The only reason I don't use my Oculus that much is due to the amount of sweat that builds up on the foam face cover. I can't play the thing for more than 20 minutes. I don't really have the extra money to get a face cover.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
VR chat and similar social games are without parallel imo. more than worth the price for entry. experiences like that alone are what keep me coming back to vr. id probably feel similarly otherwise, op

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I loved VR so much on PSVR that I bought an Oculus Rift to have access to even more games and experiences. I have almost 80 hours in Skyrim VR at this point and Beat Saber is an addiction.

I play pretty much every day. So, no.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
For what it's worth, more and more I wish every game supported VR. I was getting sick of the poor tracking and resolution on the PSVR, so I recently picked up a Vive Pro, and if you've got a beefy machine, it's a really fantastic way to play games. I don't experience motion sickness anymore, the tracking is near perfect. I can't wait until the official HTC wireless adapter releases.

In fact I'm sort of stressing about the end of the Steam sale. I probably picked up 20 VR titles but there are still so many more that I don't know what to get.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still blown away by VR every time I play it. I don't play it exclusively and will jump between VR, Consoles, Switch and tradional PC gaming.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I use it once every 2 to 3 months so the apeal doesn't go away.

I recently picked up moss and skyrim vr.

Moss is so beautiful and charming and skyrim vr blew me away. That first dragon scene is soooo much better in vr. When u saw a dragon flying over you.

I remember being intimidated by killer croc in vr.

I cant wait to try dreams.

I hope vr is here to stay.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
They need to get the goggles down to this weight/size

main_OOCPUS9101_batwolf_polished-black-black-iridium_001_54163_png_hero.jpg

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Skyrim psvr is still my go to game. It was great before but now even better with the patch. I'm on og ps4 and the aa has vastly improved along with the draw distance and shimmering. Much cleaner now

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
There always some kind of gaming experience which promises a lot, but fails in a long term. It was like that on Wiimote and the Kinect days. VR is even older, but the technology is always not enough to provide distinguished experiences, and I think it will be never be enough.

Oct 27, 2017
VR Worlds, Resident Evil 7, RIGS, Until Dawn Rush of Blood, The Playroom VR, Driveclub VR, Bound (probaly the one I liked the most in VR), aside from some of those free "experience" things on PSN and a lot of demos from the two demo discs. I didn't play a lot of each of them, since it makes me really sick, but it's not like I've ruled it out immediately. I think I gave it a fair chance.

The thing is, it just didnt wow me at all, and since it costs so much of my well being to play it, it's just not worth the effort. And not that it's the main factor here, but the games look so spectacularly awful, and I have a Pro.

The first thing I thought when I tried it on was "We are so, so ,sooooooooooo far away from the Matrix." haha
Try Rec Room, Skyrim, Wipeout, and Farpoint. I have problems with several of the games you've mentioned but none of the ones I just mentioned give me any VR sickness.

I do have a consistent problem with tracking, though. It's always the Move controller in my right hand or the aim controller that slowly becomes askew, then I have to wiggle it to realign it. Anyone else have that problem?

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Was addicted to Echo Arena and drawing in VRchat for months and months. But then some shit happened with my USB expansion slots and fucked up graphics card or some shit, haven't touched my PC or tried to fix it in 5 months.

I get stressed out so easy when it comes to dealing with PC issues

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
With bigger field of view, less cable, lighter headset and a higher resolution, I think it could be amazing. I hope we make it to that stage eventually. VR thrives by being immersive; first-person being logically ideal.

But yeah, I haven't touched PS VR in weeks for different reasons. I think some of magic is gone. I'll need to try out some more games, though, before judging it further.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
If only the screen was of better quality (PSVR primarily) and there were better control methods in place, it'd take off. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has cracked the VR code yet, that much is evident in that we pretty much only get regular games we are used to playing. The only difference between most of them is that we can turn the camera with our heads instead of with a stick. Sure, some/a lot of games use the Moves or similar to imitate hand motions, but the implementation is nowhere near the quantum leap that VR could be. Yes, the immersion factor is usually a ton better in VR, but that's not entirely thanks to the tech, it's despite it, in its current technological form.

VR has the potential of being a leap forward on the scale of going from 2D to 3D games, from SD to HD, from having to go to the cinema to having your own TV at home. We have a lot of great VR games to play already but pretty much every single one of them is held back by poor screen resolution, and developers not having found the proper key to unlock the real potential (and again, control methods). In my opinion, you can't find and utilize VR's true benefits by using the language and grammar of regular 2018 style AAA games, just like you can't make a movie by adhering to the rules of writing novels, or vice versa.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I have not even tried it once yet. D:

I always thought it's early-phase of VR and "real" consumer products are still a few gens off.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The Move controllers are such horrible controllers for VR space that I quickly lost enthusiasm after initially being wowed... Sold my PSVR a few months later. However, I did get the Oculus Rift and absolutely love the Touch Controllers. Still like VR allot but I sometimes go weeks without using VR just because I have so many "flat" games to play and lately I can't be cut off from the world due to my sick kitty.