Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for her. Her Vtuber career changed her and her family's life for the better. Streaming and social media aren't all bad.

Oct 26, 2017
I've only seen some of her through Connor's streams so I read up a bit. I didn't know that's her actual voice, because of her medical situation.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My partner's a big fan, finding out whether or not Ironmouse would win was basically her only reason for watching TGAs lol

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Happy for her, it's great seeing vtubers getting the recognition they deserve

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch Ironmouse too much, but she's so entertaining and she's great at highlighting smaller vtubers as well as giving people full credit and pay when they design new designs for her. She really is a pillar for the medium, and I hope over the coming years she gets better and better treatment so she can enjoy life more.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
oh my god i still remember when she was not really famous at all when vtubers started being a thing, it's so so good to see her win this

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I swear nothing make me feel old more than VTubers. I just don't understand it at all. Seeing them win on TGA I just had the biggest šŸ˜ face.

Though I've been hearing she had quite an uphill battle so that's good enough for me, congrats to her.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic win. I love Ironmouse, she is a pillar of the vtuber community. The amount of shit she had to do to become successful despite having a disease that would absolutely ruin me, is nothing short of extraordinary.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I swear nothing make me feel old more than VTubers. I just don't understand it at all. Seeing them win on TGA I just had the biggest šŸ˜ face.

Though I've been hearing she had quite an uphill battle so that's good enough for me, congrats to her.
It isn't even complicated though. There is an easy reason to understand why a person who is in a bad medical situation might not want to be seen on a camera by thousands of people. She is on oxygen support as well I believe. For most humans streaming or being a youtuber does not work unless the viewers can see some kind of emotional feedback. Just voices aren't enough. There are people who have only used their voice, but like I said... it isn't always going to work. At least with an avatar she can express herself.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
That's awesome. I only have seen clips of her, but everything I've seen makes her seem like a delightful person.

I don't watch them much, but it's essentially just streaming with an (often) extra layer of anonymity and character-playing between the streamer and their audience. They're entertainers like traditional streamers, but also putting on an act (to various degrees, some stay more in characters others only nominally.)

It can be a massive positive for people who want that extra layer of safety, or who want to play a character, or aren't comfortable broadcasting their face, or any number of hugely beneficial aspects of it. Hell sometimes they do it just because they find it cute.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Haven't watched her for a year but the whole house cheered when she won. Love that little rat.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It isn't even complicated though. There is an easy reason to understand why a person who is in a bad medical situation might not want to be seen on a camera by thousands of people. She is on oxygen support as well I believe. For most humans streaming or being a youtuber does not work unless the viewers can see some kind of emotional feedback. Just voices aren't enough. There are people who have only used their voice, but like I said... it isn't always going to work. At least with an avatar she can express herself.

And some Vtubers want to entertain but are worried about stalkers or how they look. Which is why Zentreya of V Shojo uses both an avatar and robotic voice. Apparently they had a traumatic experience with a stalker when they were younger and they're terrified he'll find them.

I believe VShojo's Froot uses an avatar for the same reason. She used to live cam but there's a lot of muddy drama of what happened and a lot of boys club accusations against her cheating on a husband, a lot of guys saying they want to expose her because she "can't hide behind a cartoon character".

Its toxic. It's why some just burn out and disappear.

Her way saying "Shut the fuck up", having my sides hurting

When she tries to be tough because that's how she was raised but she just doesn't want to. She's got more patience for assholes than any other streamer.

Apparently she trained at a prestigious arts high school then college in dance and classic opera before her medical issues forced her to leave. She just wants to entertain more than anything and it may have ended up saving her life considering how expensive her treatments are and how hard it was on her family.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

It's really not hard to understand roleplaying, a concept that's been around for an extremely long time, and some form of anonymity on the internet.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
When she tries to be tough because that's how she was raised but she just doesn't want to. She's got more patience for assholes than any other streamer.

Apparently she trained at a prestigious arts high school then college in dance and classic opera before her medical issues forced her to leave. She just wants to entertain more than anything and it may have ended up saving her life considering how expensive her treatments are and how hard it was on her family.
Honestly i admire her just wanting to be a character and leave it at that. We live in an age where people are characters 24/7 and for the drama. Being a wacky demon that bullies a British man is a step up

Hazz3r

AVALANCHE
Nov 3, 2017
Ironmouse is really cool. I would have liked People Make Games to win the award though, to spite Geoff's refusal to address anything bad happening in the industry.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy for her, she deserves this win and so much more. I knew she did that speech thinking there was no way she was winning, it lacked her energy. Seeing her reaction and then breaking down got me in the feels.

penguinecon

alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2023
I believe VShojo's Froot uses an avatar for the same reason. She used to live cam but there's a lot of muddy drama of what happened and a lot of boys club accusations against her cheating on a husband, a lot of guys saying they want to expose her because she "can't hide behind a cartoon character".

I had no idea and that's disgusting. Why are dudes like this? Whenever there's relationship trouble its always the fault of the woman and the woman is evil etc.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not huge on the vtuber scene. But from what I've heard about her, she seems awesome. So good for Ironmouse.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The first time I learned about vtubers I felt old.

The more I thought about it, it's no different than a band like Daft Punk, or anyone else performing in a costume.

So I don't feel old about it anymore. It's people performing in costumes. Big whoop.

Spinluck

ā–² Legend ā–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I skipped through the video out of curiosity because I didn't know this was a thing. I legit thought it was some type of Genshin cross promotion. I had no idea you could have avatars like that on Twitch lol.

That's pretty cool. Also, what game is that 02:05:19 in? That looks 100% my jam.

Edit: wow I just read about her story, that's really heartwarming. Good for her winning this award.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly watch her content with cdawgva and clip channels, and I can 100% state that she deserve it. Wish all the best to that little gremlin.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ironmouse is really nice and fully deserves the award, I was so happy when it was announced.

She's a woman who had limited options due to an immunity disorder, who felt lonely but didn't feel comfortable on camera, becoming a widely beloved streamer. Being featured in award shows. That's really cool. All the while also raising awareness of CVID and plasma donations, and raising funds for the Immune Deficiency Foundation. But because she does it through an anime avatar, you get people saying it's too much for them to understand. Which is pretty sad.

I'm not saying you need to start watching vtubers, just that pausing for a moment and trying to understand instead of suggesting you're too old to might be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that you feel old and don't get it. It's because it's anime. Specifically cute anime girls. We watched Geoff have an entire conversation with a Muppet.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm still a little bummed PMG didn't take this because they do stunning work, but Ironmouse is... Ironmouse, I can't hate or be upset at her winning either. This reaction is very sweet too.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Should have been peoplemakegames. But hey let's give it to the person making entertainment videos.

If they weren't nominated I would have said "fair enough" It's not me feeling as if Ironmouse is undeserving but peoplemakegames do good work and should have been rewarded for it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Think about why you're not using your real name and a real photo of yourself to post on this internet forum.