• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I was reading a reddit post earlier about weird things in the US that Americans don't find weird and saw multiple comments about red solo cups being a thing. You know these cups:
wholesale-16-oz-red-solo-cups-high-quality.jpg

Do Europeans really find it that strange?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a package of these in my house right now in anticipation for Christmas/Christmas Eve. o.o

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh. I've never even considered these things. Why are these cups so important and what do they mean???

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly lived in Europe and never encountered them.

After 3 years of University in Canada they've become dear to my heart.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I guess they're useful for parties but most of the time when I wind up using plastic cups they're of the clear variety

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
European here. Yeah if you're not drinking out of a glass we find it weird.
Beer culture shuns it? I mean you're hardly going to drink a craft beer out of a plastic cup.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
We are slowly banning single-use plastic cups in some European countries, they´ll probably be completely illegal in the EU within ten years or so.

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
American here I think when I have a party we just use the assortment of jelly jars and thrift store mugs at my parties because I try not to buy plastic throw away cups

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Y'all dumb. Who in their right mind would host a party and use their glasses? Plastic cups are disposable, and easy cleanup over your glass being shattered. Also who has dozens of glass cups for people to use at a party?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Speaking for all Europeans, no one thinks they're a myth. That particular design is just America-exclusive.

We have plastic cups but they're plain and sized for children, like the cups at a water cooler.

If you're having a party you drink straight out of cans and bottles. If you absolutely insist on having a cocktail or something there are a few glasses hanging round somewhere.

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
What? We have plastic cups as well (either white or transparent). The US pint sized red cups are a bit of a novelty item though, I wouldn't get them unless planning to play beerpong or flipcup.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
So for most of the parties I've been to, no one used glasses. We kind of just passed bottles around and took a swig. And there was a bag-keg of Twisted Tea that was passed around. So you had to lift a giant bag of liquid above your head and drink out of the spigot.

I dont really party anymore.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking for all Europeans, no one thinks they're a myth. That particular design is just America-exclusive.

We have plastic cups but they're plain and sized for children, like the cups at a water cooler.

If you're having a party you drink straight out of cans and bottles. If you absolutely insist on having a cocktail or something there are a few glasses hanging round somewhere.
what if you have a keg?

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
college parties are trash anyway

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These cups are used for various drinking games. No reason to over think it.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What are you supposed to pour the beer keg into though?

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's the fact that every hollywood movie where there's some kind of BBQ or house party, everyone always has those red cups. Here you get plastic cups for a party, but there's all different kinds, shapes and sizes. In the movies, it's always those fucking red cups.
Kevin Bridges did a bit about it in one of stand up shows, something about Chad Hogans house party I think,.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
So for most of the parties I've been to, no one used glasses. We kind of just passed bottles around and took a swig. And there was a bag-keg of Twisted Tea that was passed around. So you had to lift a giant bag of liquid above your head and drink out of the spigot.

I dont really party anymore.

That sounds like a sesh/kick-on with a smaller intimate group that occurs after the main party

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My wife and I host monthly dinner parties for 15-20 people, and while we ensure that cocktails are served in proper stemware (because I am a snob), we're not going to keep 20+ pint glasses on hand. Where would you store all that? Plastic cups are simple and perfectly serviceable, even if you aren't worried about people breaking actual glasses (which does happen anyway).

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Plastic pints are commonplace in the UK for outdoor events and Beer festivals but I've never seen anyone have them at home, you just have a cupboard with dozens of glasses in and trust your friends not to fuckin break them. Been to a great many late night booze sessions with friends and I can't recall any of us ever smashing glasses in the house.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
An American girl who used to hang out with my group of friends here in Spain was so frustrated when she couldn't find that kind of cups anywhere for some gross punch thing she wanted to make for a party.