Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
WTF? I've been living a lie my whole life. It's some fictional city in the PNW? BULLSHIT!

Even at a young age, living in a small town I knew what New York looked like, and that was fucking New York!

What the hell?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Very much inspired by it, especially with the Stoop Culture. But yeah fictional city. I do remember it having inspirations from other cities too.

Jawson

Jan 20, 2022
I always thought it was meant to be ambiguous. Not specific to one place or the other.

heyarnold.fandom.com

Hillwood

Hillwood is the city where Arnold lives, and where most events of the show Hey Arnold! take place. It is located in Washington state, as revealed in the episode "Road Trip" and evidenced throughout other episodes. The city's name is never explicitly said in the show, but it's visible in several...

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Why did they even bother with a fictional city? I always thought it was NYC, it looked super like NYC (or what I've seen of NYC in American media anyway).

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was nyc as a kid but found out I was wrong during a rewatch ten years ago. Tbf it's basically west coast nyc.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Fictional city heavily inspired by NYC makes the most sense anyways. Lets the show tell whatever stories it wants without being concerned about the logistics of the real place.

Derbel McDillet

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 23, 2022
I assumed New York as well, but once I realized I couldn't figure out the borough, Seattle made more sense.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I thought it was supposed to be Chicago, though on reflection it does seem more inspired by NYC, even if it is supposed to be a fictional PNW city.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that I think people get confused. The plots and stories are based on his childhood in PNW but the show is very clearly taking stylized and aesthetic choices from NYC/Chicago/other Midwest and NE locations. Besides all the elevated highways (seattles old Alaskan Way Viaduct it looks nothing like Seattle or Portland)

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Mickey kayline = mickey mantle
Dino spumoni = frank Sinatra
That episode where they save the turtle = coney island aquarium

You can't tell me it wasn't heavily influenced by NYC culture.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I think it just smooshes together many major cities and their features/locations. I don't think any one city can claim it's THE city.

Kyou

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who grew up in the pnw near Seattle I never once considered it took place there and thought it was set in New York

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I always thought it was set in Philly. Had no idea it was in the Pacific Northwest.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
NYC is one of those places that people think they know on sight based on movies they've seen when a lot of those movies were probably filmed somewhere else. Hell, quintessential NYC film Mean Streets was largely filmed in Los Angeles.

I think Bartlett himself has said the city in Hey Arnold! Is an amalgamation of cities he's lived in and since people are most familiar with NYC those elements seem more apparent.

Last edited:

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's definitely some NYC influence in there, but I remember hearing that a lot of the influences came from places like Portland and Seattle where Craig Bartlett spent a lot of time. I always got the impression of like a "city version of Springfield" that could be from anywhere in the US.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah as a kid I thought it was NYC too, kinda disappointing that it turned out to be a fictional city. Something about thinking it was in NYC added to the charm for me

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I always though it was heavily inspired by NY, without calling it NY. Never once made the Seattle connection; then again I didn't know much about Seattle during the shows running.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
it'll always be new york or a NE city like that to me. Philly/etc. just love how urban it was.

Nothing about that show gave PNW vibes in the least

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to rewatch after actually living in cities. Growing up in the suburbs of Miami, I was so jealous of city kids.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah there's definitely some NYC influence in there, but I remember hearing that a lot of the influences came from places like Portland and Seattle where Craig Bartlett spent a lot of time. I always got the impression of like a "city version of Springfield" that could be from anywhere in the US.
Both of these points make even more sense when you know that Craig Bartlett and Matt Groening are in-laws.

I also always assumed Hey Arnold took place in NYC, but it made sense to find out it wasn't when you consider how hilly the landscape is.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Always assumed NYC

I'd accept something like St Louis (underrated city in terms of stoops) but a city in the PNW feels weird to me. Not super familiar with the area but I always imagined it to be a bit too new for that.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
After that episode where they have the Pig catching Holiday and it's a competition with their neighboring City who are clearly some kind of Canadian I realized Hey Arnold was probably not in New York City.

Edit: This Episode

heyarnold.fandom.com

The Pig War

"The Pig War" is an episode of Hey Arnold!. Arnold and his friends reenact an important event of their city's history. The episode opens with Arnold and his friends playing with water guns in front of the boarding house when Grandpa steps outside wearing an old-fashioned American Army uniform...

If there was a dispute between American and Canadian territories, the city was most certainly not going to be New York City and PNW makes more sense.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
Anyone I know that went to public school in NYC in Queens or Brooklyn had a childhood exactly like the show (well, without cartoon hijinks).

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I always thought it was NYC even though I'd never been there. Glad I'm not alone.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I distinctly remember that it was set in Philly and I should have no reference what a Philly is and what it looks like. I just know it was when I was a kid.

Actually, Hey Arnold is my basis of what Philly looks like.

Don't know where I got that from tho.

I also just recently learned its supposed to be in Seattle or around that area.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Reminder that in the DC universe, NYC exists and that Metropolis and Gotham City are in Delaware and New Jersey.

kNs4DHj.png

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
Also Arnold and friends go to Elk Island frequently which I cannot ever see as a place existing near New York City.

Not with a landscape like this.

latest

Or houses like this.
latest