• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buying RDR 2?

• Waiting for PC release

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • Will Double dip like ketchup and mayo

Votes: 42 19.8%
  • PC release? Good luck fam

Votes: 55 25.9%
  • Secret answer: I'm not waiting, day 1

Votes: 42 19.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
RDR 2 is almost upon us... I'm damn hype!

I just built a pretty beefy new PC and have decided to wait for the PC release of RDR 2 before diving in. Assuming there is one?!

I tripled dipped GTA 5, and not about to do that again. Waiting is also to my benefit because I won't even have the chance to play video games until mid January.

Are you going to wait for RDR 2 to release on PC? Perhaps you will double dip? Or, am I delusional in thinking it will even release on PC?

Please rope and tie me if thread not allowed.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
See you in two years, guys! :P

I will probably double-dip, but only after a good sale on it. Until then I'll play the PS4 version.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'd much rather double dip than wait on playing RDR2(and I happily will if it comes to PC), but I admire your will power for sure.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It will happen for sure. RDR1's non-appearance was a technological roadblock as I understand it.

When they issue the PS5/XB2 'patch' or whatever, a PC version would seem timely.

And hell no I wouldn't wait. This has to be the most notable release of the generation.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything less than a year and id be surprised. In fact, depending on how close the next gen consoles are it could just repeat GTA V. Basically launch on the next gen systems with upgrades and patches, then come to PC with even more upgrades. Triple dip.

It will happen for sure. RDR1's non-appearance was a technological roadblock as I understand it.

When they issue the PS5/XB2 'patch' or whatever, a PC version would seem timely.

And hell no I wouldn't wait. This has to be the most notable release of the generation.
stories going around years ago about RDR1 was the code was spaghetti and it was a miracle it was as good as it was.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's go!

09e5af7b53ecb7480e6f38450a89be24.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Plenty to play in the meantime. No real rush. I don't think I'll end up spoiled either because I never knew a thing about GTAV until PC came out and I played it myself.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'll inevitably double dip when the time comes, but I'm getting it for Xbox next week, all according to Rockstar's keikaku.

I think the PC port will be exactly like GTAV when it moved from 360/PS3 to One/PS4.
RDR2 will come to PS5/Scarlet and PC at the same time, possibly with RDR1 as a bonus?

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Double
DIP
The
Chip

No way I'm waiting upwards of a year or more for Red Dead Redemption 2. I'll likely get it for cheaper on PC, but assuming it meets my expectations I'll want it on both PS4 and PC like with GTAV.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Already bought the game for the X, i wont double dip, i already did that for GTA 5

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I can't wait however long until the PC release. Im satisfied with just playing it on my Pro. Plus ill have my cousins to play with.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not convinced the mod scene for this game will be active enough to warrant a purchase. I might get it on PC as well, but I'm not exactly planning on it.

RRR

Oct 11, 2018
I'm going to play on PS4 and then sell it and wait for the Steam version.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I sold my PS4... can't even double dip if I wanted to
guess I'll just sit here twiddling my thumbs

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm buying a physical copy for PS4, preferably used if I can handle a few days late to play it. After I'm done with the game, I'll sell it, then rebuy on PC next year if I liked it enough.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird feeling, like it isn't coming.

Can't explain why. Maybe just the usual pessimism.

I would love to have it on PC for sure, I'm a complete idiot/sucker for R* despite the crappy PC versions of yore.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm either playing it on PC or I'm not playing it at all. I can wait.

It's not like I don't have plenty of other shit to be playing in the meantime.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'll be waiting I dont mind.

If it doesnt, I'll just wait till its like $20 on PS4 or wait for next gen release which will likely happen similar to GTAV.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a feeling it will be well over a year before we see it. Going to play it on PS4 Pro for now and double dip later if it ever comes out and I end up really liking the game.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How much you want to bet it'll follow the same EXACT release schedule as GTAV?
i.e current gen release -> next gen remaster-> definitive pc port

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's likely coming in 2019.

It's likely getting re-released on PS5 and the next Xbox before PC get's it, Rockstar will be totally focused on delivering Red Dead Online for most of next year.

PC will be lucky to get it in 2020.

And yeah I know the new consoles will likely be backwards compatible but I still think they'll improve the game enough for next gen to make the prospect of double dipping worth it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting because console HDR is dim on the LG B7 because the consoles don't output metadata for some weird reason, whereas PC does output metadata for proper beautiful HDR. It sucks, but it's either wait for a PC release or spend $300 on a device to add metadata to console and I can't much afford that, at the moment.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I got it for PS4 because I have nothing to do in my life and I have no idea when the PC version will come out.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
I'm just too inpatient and can't wait.

I've only ever bought one copy of GTA V on the 360 so it's likely RDR2 on my Pro will be my only copy unless some crazy sale/deal comes around for the eventual PC version then I could be tempted to double dip.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it comes to PC, but the last game didn't, so I'm not holding my breath. Getting it on PS4 Pro.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm going to get it on my PS4 and double dip for cheap when the inevitable PC port is released just like GTA V. No chance I'm waiting 2+ years to experience a potential GOTG lmao.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
One has to wonder; why Rockstar doesn't release Red Dead Redemption while we wait for the sequel on PC? :(

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ps5 and xbtwo in 2019
pc in 2020

or 2020/2021 if the consoles come in 2020

so yeah it's gonna be a wait

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'm waiting because console HDR is dim on the LG B7 because the consoles don't output metadata for some weird reason, whereas PC does output metadata for proper beautiful HDR. It sucks, but it's either wait for a PC release or spend $300 on a device to add metadata to console and I can't much afford that, at the moment.
What is the point of metadata (or 'dynamic') HDR in games?

The value of it in cinema is clear, every scene, shot or frame can be specifically tuned, but that makes sense, every frame of a film is deliberate. Of the '60 hours' RDR2 lasts, what percentage of that is going to be specifically locked by R*? Even if every cutscene takes place at a fixed time and weather condition, which I'd highly doubt, it would maybe be two hours? The rest of the time it would need to operate at a fixed luminosity range anyway.

Moreover, being 'dim' is irrelevant. HDR+ and DV do not increase the peak brightness of your TV set.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
One has to wonder; why Rockstar doesn't release Red Dead Redemption while we wait for the sequel on PC? :(

Apparently the codebase is a complete mess and it would take too significant of time and monetary investment to make it worthwhile for Rockstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.