• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Searched and didn't see a topic for this, so figured I'd share.

Up until recently my desktop wallpaper has mainly just been a static image, I thought it was "hip" having a slideshow for my wallpaper with windows 10.

Recently I came across an animated wallpaper I liked and I went searching for how to use it and that's when I was opened up to the world of not only animated wallpapers, but wallpapers that can have sounds, react to noises/music, be interactable, etc thanks to a program on steam called "wallpaper engine."

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431960/Wallpaper_Engine/

It's not free (it's 3.99) which isn't much at all and easily worth it for the sheer amount of wallpapers there are and all the options. (reading that line I know this sounds like an advertisement but I swear I've got 0 to do with this program or anything lol, just thought it was cool). Once you install it you basically just search through the program for wallpapers and can sort by genres, ratings, most viewed, etc to find them and click "subscribe" to install that wallpaper.

Ended up settling on these for now:

My main concern when I did this was performance and how much of a hit it'd take (I'm still on a 2600k). It ends up eating up just around 2-3% cpu power and around 30'ish MB of memory (at least for the ones I've checked when using it). On top of that you can set it to pause or turn off when you have a window active/using something in fullscreen/borderless, etc, so it uses 0 resources when you aren't looking at your desktop.

Options wise you can adjust things like how slow/fast things play, some you can change colors, the sound (if it has any), and set up playlist (so it switches between different wallpapers have so long).

Anyone else use this and have some wallpaper suggestions? So far I've mainly liked the cyberpunk ones (as you can probably tell).

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Looks neat, OP. It's also fairly inexpensive, so I'll pile it on when the Winter Sale starts.

I did check the workshop and was amused to see that 90% of the wallpapers are anime though, and a good number of them are NSFW.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Its really good. I bought it about 2 months ago and it changed the wallpaper game for me. It has so many cool animation ones that it's hard to go back to normal ones. 2 days ago I purchased a MacBook Pro and I was sad to find out that wallpaper engine doesn't work on mac

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
No joke, my first PC had Windows ME as the OS, and my desktop was filled with gifs of various video game sprites (mostly KoF).

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Looks neat, OP. It's also fairly inexpensive, so I'll pile it on when the Winter Sale starts.

I did check the workshop and was amused to see that 90% of the wallpapers are anime though, and a good number of them are NSFW.
Looks like it's never been on sale, so it's safe to buy now.

Dec 3, 2018
Love it too, currently rocking an animated Mandy wallpaper. I like that you can filter resolution so 1440 wallpapers are easy to find

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Had my eye on this for a long time. Might bite on it once I buy other stuff on this Winter sale (I like to group buy, it's a habit).

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Does it not get distracting? I might snaffle it in the winter sale. A nice snowy scene wallpaper could be nice right now.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
You know it's really neat and all and I've considered it multiple times, but I just never just have the desktop open, I always have an application open so it would serve no purpose for me.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I basically grabbed it just so I could make a Smash Ultimate banner wallpaper. Haven't looked back since.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought it 3 months ago, some of the animated wallpapers were cool and all, but I couldn't stop feeling than my PC got slower and that I don't stare that much time on the desktop to care about it

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
99% of time I will have a program full windowed... I can't see the point of a wallpaper :(

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Does this always register as"playing" in Steam when you have it opened? I would find that annoying.
Only when you're actually choosing a wallpaper or actively using the program. Otherwise it runs as a background service which doesn't count towards playtime.
It is annoying when it opens though, it broadcasts to your friends list/discord/whatever as with any other steam game.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
been using it for over a year, love it.

you definitely want to couple it with rainmeter and get some really cool looking stuff going on.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I remember doing this with Vista way back in the day - I even had the lightsaber fight from Phantom Menace in it's entirety playing as my wallpaper. Might give this a look, though I usually have stuff open so don't see much of the desktop these days.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried this on PC alongside Rainmeter, but I found it too distracting in the end. Also I was using a 4K monitor and most Rainmeter widgets get way fucked up at that rez, sadly. (Also, psychopaths seemingly designed the Rainmeter configuration UI, it's insanely baroque.)

What would be cool is, only play while plugged in. I'm on a MacBook so I don't really want to burn CPU this frivolously. Nice for a desktop though for sure.

There's one called Living Earth for Mac that shows realtime cloud cover on a 3D planet, looked like the old PS3 folding@home, that was kind of nifty. I know there are others as well.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait can I set my own track to play with a wallpaper? On repeat?
Cause I have my PC connected to my TV and love just having it play music (primarly extended versions of vocal tracks from Persona) while I'm reading or just chilling.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I use Wallpaper Engine, along with Rainmeter, and System Animator on one of my secondy PCs with an LCD modded side panel. I don't care about the potential resource impact on that system.

sarmonic

Oct 29, 2017
I've had this for a while now too and love it. It's nice for multiple monitors too. I even made a bunch of wallpapers myself. It's actually fun and very easy to learn.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
The second cyberpunk one is so evocative, really nice. One thing I don't like is the scrolling text, though. Text seems very distracting to me.

I may look into this, but my go-to wallpaper app has been John's Background Switcher. It's freeware that randomly swaps your wallpaper and is very configurable compared to Windows' built-in options. I have it change every 10 minutes and am continually throwing cool pics I come across into its gaping maw. Have well over 10,000 now. Variety!