Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Just be aware of the limitations it has. I was looking into this and discovered it transcodes everything to DD+. So it can't playback any lossless audio, not even LPCM 2.0.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
www.digitaltrends.com

Walmart Onn 4K Pro review: a new king of Google TV streamers | Digital Trends

Walmart's $50 Google TV streaming device is better than Google's. That's all there is to it.

Thanks for this, the one thing I wanted to know was if the microphone could be permanently disabled. Will probably pick one up after Mother's Day so I don't get distracted setting it up this weekend lol.

I will still probably put a clean launcher on it like wolf launcher but my fire tv is so patched and modded at this point to block all of amazons bs that some things aren't updating or working like they should anymore.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
I like to think that the Free TV button works like those Amazon Dash buttons that automatically orders you laundry detergent except this one just ships you a free tv

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
If this can replace my shield (I didn't pay much but I'm pretty disappointed with it.) I'd be in for 2.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
There is an Onn product that functions?!
If it didn't function, it would be called an Off product
NH9gE7v.gif

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I have been using Google TV dongles for a while... so after a couple days with this device I can say it runs far better and will be my go to device going forward for the near future. No negatives yet... I also run Wifi 6 in my house so that alone is worth it. Still wish the ethernet port was faster though.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for a new Nvidia Shield Pro. The AI sharpening is nice especially since I watch a lot of animated stuff

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Went out of my way to pick one up yesterday, while I love the fact that it could play my DV mkv files and trigger DV, the lack of various audio codec format support kills it for me. Maybe next year, Onn.

crimsonred

Oct 27, 2017
My only experience with Onn branded stuff are things that break on first use. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
a few iirc, but i use tubi

tubitv.com

Columbo

This beloved series features the brilliant bumbling detective who despite his easygoing nature, always manages to crack the case.

im almost done with my rewatch now, feel like i do a full rewatch at least once a year
Do they have the shorter eps, i noticed those mostly get skipped

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I pulled the trigger and am setting it up now. The first update was pretty slow and it is "setting up" now which is also taking way longer than I would expect. Hope it's as snappy as reviews say when it's finally done.

My remote also doesn't have a "free tv" button. Maybe that one was already phased out?

Edit: Works great after set up, way faster than my fire tv. I did have to buy the ATV launcher though, I don't know how anyone uses the stock launchers on any of these devices. They are full of ads and hide the stuff you want to do. Only $3 but still a bummer since Wold Launcher was free on Fire TV

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten mine and set it up and it's an absolute delight to use compared to my aging Roku TV. All apps are snappy, nothing crashes.

Mine also does not have the "Free TV" button.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any real ways this would be better than a Shield, although given the cost difference that's not a sleight on this.

Shield doesn't do HDR on YouTube, so maybe if you really want that. Other than that I can't imagine what someone would enjoy about this if they don't like their Shield TV.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if I can use my Bravia remote with this? I assume the answer is yes. I really like the backlit buttons.

Just be aware of the limitations it has. I was looking into this and discovered it transcodes everything to DD+. So it can't playback any lossless audio, not even LPCM 2.0.
Have you located a list of what is and isn't supported? Curious about DV profile support.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
So the biggest issue during set up, which was probably my fault, was that it somehow overwrote my tv picture settings when Dolby vision triggered. It blew out the picture settings I had set on that input and changed them to whatever default the tv had for Dolby vision. That resulted in a horrible super dark image for the room the tv is in and took me awhile to readjust to something decent. I probably could have turned off some kind of cec setting or taken a picture of the prior settings if I thought about it prior, I've never had a device change tv settings like that though.

Oct 27, 2017
Will wait to see if Google announces their thing tomorrow but might jump on this for my bedroom at least. My LG C6 apps are showing their age.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I might get one of these just to monitor the analytics. I got rid of all of my Roku devices due to the ridiculous amount of analytics they flooded my network with.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe a 2019 Shield is still king of the hill. I downgraded back to V8 software on mine last night and it runs much faster... Was starting to really chug.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
i have an ONN 4k one (2023 version) and its by the far the best performing streaming stick i've used. I've used lots of firesticks and they always started getting slower and slower and had to reboot em constantly. So far i've had 2 for almost a year and they've worked great. I've only to reboot them a couple of times. I did change to the Projectivy launcher cause it just had less of the Google tv bloat. For $20, not sure you can find better.

I'm not sure if ill get this new Pro one, i haven't really had many problems so far (just with the remote, which sometimes stops connecting) so not sure i could see value in spending $30 more on this. I rarely use 4k anyway, most my content is in 1080p or less.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This thing's gonna be absolutely coated in ads, right?

Don't do it to yourself.

It's the normal Google TV experience. Recommendations galore, but nothing added by Walmart or anything like that.

It didn't seem to have any extra stuff installed beyond Max and Paramount+ which I didn't pick during set up. It let me uninstall them and the other Google stuff I didn't want (music, movie store, etc). I still went and put ATV launcher on it though because the default launcher is full of recommendations and hides your installed app list at the last option and formats it poorly.

You can install button manager on it to remap the remote buttons too. Though oddly enough the star button in the top right which is designed to be programmable doesn't work with button mapper/ATV launcher.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume since this is just a GoogleTV device that it will have Apps Only mode, eh?

Google-TV-Apps-Only-2.jpg

Also...looks like this is sold out on Walmart.com. EDIT: It is avail at a local store so I can get it "delivered" but not "shipped"

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe a 2019 Shield is still king of the hill. I downgraded back to V8 software on mine last night and it runs much faster... Was starting to really chug.

How do you downgrade and avoid updates? I have one that I need to setup and I'm assuming it's going to want to install updates at setup so I figure I need to downgrade it and then find a way to not have it download updates afterward.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume since this is just a GoogleTV device that it will have Apps Only mode, eh?

Google-TV-Apps-Only-2.jpg

Also...looks like this is sold out on Walmart.com

Considering Google bought Vizio purely due to their ad platform, I'm a little suspicious of the device turning into an ad machine gun despite looking extremely good on paper for the price.

But if it's low on ads or somehow avoids the ads altogether, it's going to be a great buy for a lot of people.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Works great after set up, way faster than my fire tv. I did have to buy the ATV launcher though, I don't know how anyone uses the stock launchers on any of these devices. They are full of ads and hide the stuff you want to do. Only $3 but still a bummer since Wold Launcher was free on Fire TV

But if it's low on ads or somehow avoids the ads altogether, it's going to be a great buy for a lot of people.

Everyone buying a Google TV device should be aware that Projectivity Launcher exists, it's quite fantastic and free edition does everything one needs.

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
How do you downgrade and avoid updates? I have one that I need to setup and I'm assuming it's going to want to install updates at setup so I figure I need to downgrade it and then find a way to not have it download updates afterward.
I followed this guide: https://florisse.nl/shield-downgrade/

Only hard part was finding a male USB to USB cable. Picked one up on Amazon for $7.

I haven't run through the debloat steps yet either. Looking at the amount of ad watching, NVIDIA junk etc on there I'm expecting it'll speed up even more. Kodi was starting to stutter 4k content and fortunately that's now resolved.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone buying a Google TV device should be aware that Projectivity Launcher exists, it's quite fantastic and free edition does everything one needs.

Wish I saw that before I spent the $3 on ATV. I'm used to Wolf Launcher from my fire tv which was a fork of ATV so I'm used to how it looks, but Projectivity looks just as good for free. It looks like it is better supported update wise too.

I think ATV is a little cleaner overall if you don't have a ton installed and it supports folders, but everyone should definitely try Projectivity first since it's free.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
So, I found myself in a situation needing a streaming device for hotel use. I went to Walmart to pick up one of last year's models and saw this one reduced at $30 so went with it.

It connected to the hotel wifi without issue. Setup was a breeze and it's quite snappy. Looks good enough to use as a primary device so far.