• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I'd quit on the spot if I could afford to.

Most of their employees can't afford to do that, so that's exactly why they are pulling this shit. This should be illegal, beyond fucked up.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Walmart has been known for fucking over its employees, especially women who work at Walmart. I have a family friend who is a woman and she recently quit from Walmart because of how she's been fucked over by Walmart.

SaulForex

Oct 25, 2017
"You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store"

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Walmart is trash. I'm sure target isn't much better, but I'd rather shop there any day.
also, their shares are up like 45 percent in a year, so the genpop is probably skipping Walmart too. Millennials are more of a target crowd it seems.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"We simplified our paid time-off policies in 2016 to combine vacation, holiday, sick and personal time into one bucket. We did this to give our associates greater flexibility and more choice to use their time off when and how they want to. As part of this change, we no longer pay holiday pay. Associates can now cash out any unused PTO at the end of the year."
Might as well said 'Fuck'em'

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
But hey they're getting food catered food for lunch for those that won't be with their families.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Capitalism fucking sucks man.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Walmart is also one of the few big companies that does not offer employees increased hourly wages for working shifts on a holiday. At Target and Amazon, workers are paid time and a half for each hour worked.

When I worked at Target on Black Friday in 2016, they scheduled a lot of us starting at 11 PM Thanksgiving. Most of us ended up working 11 PM Thanksgiving night to 10 AM or so Black Friday. Sure, we got time and a half for that single hour on Thanksgiving itself, but then every hour on Black Friday we just got an extra dollar per hour, so it was basically nothing extra. Definitely not enough to make up for the fact that our shifts on Wednesday and Saturday still started at their normal 5 AM too.

My point is that Walmart sucks but so does Target.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
But good guy Walmart gave $1,000 pay bonuses when they received that tax cut. How could this have happened?

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just skip ahead to when they start paying people in toilet paper annd a sack of barley? "What else do you need you leeches?"

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Lol the only reason why I'm not working thanksgiving right now is because that would give me more overtime than they want me to get. But I would still at least get holiday pay for that day. And we got a damn 10% discount for the two weeks leading up to Thanksgiving anyway. Wal-Mart really, really sucks.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Might as well said 'Fuck'em'

They actually changed that policy last year. Now there's 2 different PTO. Regular PTO and Protected PTO.

Regular is for vacation and what not. Protected is for when you are sick. You earn it by how many hours you work and the rate you earn them is different. I think for protected for every 40 hrs you get like 2 to 3 hours of PTO

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holiday OT is nice, but since it's usually one or two days per month it doesn't really amount to that much.

Assuming that you make $15/hour, time and a half is only $22.50 per hour. So if you work 8 hours on Thanksgiving you would make $180 instead of $120. So that would be a $60 bonus.

If you spend more than $600 at Wal-Mart during the last 5 weeks of the year, it's pretty much the same savings as the holiday pay would have been. If you do all your grocery shopping at Wal-Mart it's probably not that hard to spend that much, but for single employees it is probably difficult.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
When I worked at Target on Black Friday in 2016, they scheduled a lot of us starting at 11 PM Thanksgiving. Most of us ended up working 11 PM Thanksgiving night to 10 AM or so Black Friday. Sure, we got time and a half for that single hour on Thanksgiving itself, but then every hour on Black Friday we just got an extra dollar per hour, so it was basically nothing extra. Definitely not enough to make up for the fact that our shifts on Wednesday and Saturday still started at their normal 5 AM too.

My point is that Walmart sucks but so does Target.
Target isn't open all night anymore. Most Thanksgiving shifts start between 4:45pm (just before open) and 7pm, and end no later than 1:30am, with Fulfillment teams coming in much earlier. Black Friday openers come in just before 7am.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Should be criminal. This fucking country sometimes....

It blows me away that a good portion of Americans support this kind of system.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucked up that the only thing employees at Walmart get now for working holidays is an employee discount:

584.jpg

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I just want to point out that they give that discount every year so they're really just taking away holiday pay, It's not being replaced with the discount

Oct 30, 2017
When I worked at target I got holiday pay and they treated us decently well during Thanksgiving night/Black Friday and I still wanted to cut my throat standing at that register. I might have actually done it if I worked for fucking wal mart.

Fuck wal mart. The LEAST you cheap bastards could do is pay the ducking holiday pay.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
When I worked there years ago you just got this bonus as part of your holiday bonus, no working required.

Normal employee discount was 10% on non food items, this just gives you 10% on food too. Helps save a couple buck but that's it unless you are filling up a freezer full of meat or something.

also note that in the time it took me to write the post the Walton heirs made like 200k

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They basically want employees to pay them for the holidays instead of paying their employees.

Last edited:

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I tweeted Target saying I would take the place of a worker and volunteer in their place while they get paid during Thanksgiving weekend. They never responded :(

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
When I worked there years ago you just got this bonus as part of your holiday bonus, no working required.

Normal employee discount was 10% on non food items, this just gives you 10% on food too. Helps save a couple buck but that's it unless you are filling up a freezer full of meat or something.

When I worked there I saw fellow employees go ham on groceries when they got that discount