Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Food for thought.

giphy.gif

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
If teachers got paid right or you guys had a healthcare system

That's basically it. I can't even imagine getting cancer and the response basically being "Well... good luck"

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If teachers were paid what they were actually worth instead of needing a second job to pay for cancer treatment and a second child on the way, then Breaking Bad would've never happened.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
Plenty of stories and tales can be chalked up to "person is defeated by the dominant economic system, and consequences ensue."

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen this a few times, but only recently did I realize this could still happen in Canada. He had access to money from his friends - it eventually became a matter of pride.

In Canada, he probably wouldn't have been stressing about the healthcare, so it would have probably ended up being about legacy or providing for his family after he died. He just has a big-ass ego.

But, for a normal person it would have absolutely ended there lmao

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a minute since I watched it, but didn't his former business partner offer to pay for the treatment but he was too proud to take it? I feel like he had multiple avenues to not break bad.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a minute since I watched it, but didn't his former business partner offer to pay for the treatment but he was too proud to take it? I feel like he had multiple avenues to not break bad.

Didn't they take Walter's idea and got rich off of it without giving him so much as a single thought? Or I could just be mistaken since it's been a while.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they take Walter's idea and got rich off of it without giving him so much as a single thought? Or I could just be mistaken since it's been a while.
There was an element of there not being a smooth breakup for sure though my recollection of the details are hazy. That said, it's deadly cancer. I'm of the mindset you swallow your pride and let them pay to survive. Especially when the alternative is becoming a megalomaniac drug czar who destroys the world and every other life around themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
There was an element of there not being a smooth breakup for sure though my recollection of the details are hazy. That said, it's deadly cancer. I'm of the mindset you swallow your pride and let them pay to survive. Especially when the alternative is becoming a megalomaniac drug czar who destroys the world and every other life around themselves.
Well, he shouldn't have to depend on the charity of private citizens to not die, especially when he's a teacher, one of the pillars of our societies.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this a few times, but only recently did I realize this could still happen in Canada. He had access to money from his friends - it eventually became a matter of pride.

In Canada, he probably wouldn't have been stressing about the healthcare, so it would have probably ended up being about legacy or providing for his family after he died. He just has a big-ass ego.

But, for a normal person it would have absolutely ended there lmao

His teacher pension might have helped them out a lot

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. But also rings doubly true since he would later excuse his actions as "doing it for his family" when obviously the best course of action for his family would have been to take the money from Gray Matter.

Him getting cancer was the excuse to break bad. His pride and arrogance were established from episode 1, his actions were inevitable.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Walter had an inferiority complex attached to them. He was engaged to the lady but broke up because her family was rich and he wasn't. Then sold his share for a few thousand before the company blew up, according to him due to his hard work and research. He was never going to take "their" charity because in his opinion he was entitled to that money and being given "his" own money was further insult to his "injury."

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He was always a selfish asshole. That's the point of the show. A boss being mean or even cancer doesn't turn a person into a sociopath.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This could be applied to a lot of villains. Specifically every Tony Stark and Batman villain. If only Stark or Wayne hadnt blown me off or insulted me!!!!!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Well, he shouldn't have to depend on the charity of private citizens to not die, especially when he's a teacher, one of the pillars of our societies.

Agreed. But also rings doubly true since he would later excuse his actions as "doing it for his family" when obviously the best course of action for his family would have been to take the money from Gray Matter.

Him getting cancer was the excuse to break bad. His pride and arrogance were established from episode 1, his actions were inevitable.
100% agreed with both of y'all

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Walter had an inferiority complex attached to them. He was engaged to the lady but broke up because her family was rich and he wasn't. Then sold his share for a few thousand before the company blew up, according to him due to his hard work and research. He was never going to take "their" charity because in his opinion he was entitled to that money and being given "his" own money was further insult to his "injury."
Yep, Vince Gilligan confirmed that Walt chose to leave and sell his part of the company

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably one of the silliest internet takes I've ever heard. Even if you have health care, you're not guaranteed to live post-cancer treatments, soooo...

Walter will still break bad, not on the pretense of cost of health care, but because his ego cannot live with the fact that he wasted his life not doing what he truly wanted.

In fact, this is literally the impetus for his crimes.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His teacher pension might have helped them out a lot

That's also 100% valid!

This is probably one of the silliest internet takes I've ever heard. Even if you have health care, you're not guaranteed to live post-cancer treatments, soooo...

Walter will still break bad, not on the pretense of cost of health care, but because his ego cannot live with the fact that he wasted his life not doing what he truly wanted.

In fact, this is literally the impetus for his crimes.

And, this too

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it would have just been some other incident that would set him off.

Walter was a bad guy. He was able to coast mostly thru life without realizing his narcissistic tendencies. It wasn't till his healthcare crisis that set him off.

It would have been inevitable.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If the story had taken place in Canada or the UK it would have been over in an episode.

Doctor: "You have cancer. We're going to begin your treatment immediately"

Meanwhile in the US: "I'm your doctor. You have cancer. I hope you're rich otherwise you're going to die a slow expensive death because of Republicans. Or you could become a druglord. Your choice I guess. 2nd Amendment yeehaa *licks two shots in the atmosphere*"

Booshka

May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I mean what if we just provided for people's basic needs?

Ya but what about all the amazing narratives we'd be missing out on?

Good point, oppress those motherfuckers.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If the story had taken place in Canada or the UK it would have been over in an episode.

Doctor: "You have cancer. We're going to begin your treatment immediately"

Meanwhile in the US: "I'm your doctor. You have cancer. I hope you're rich otherwise you're going to die a slow expensive death because of Republicans. Or you could become a druglord. Your choice I guess. 2nd Amendment yeehaa *licks two shots in the atmosphere*"

If the story had taken place in Canada or the UK it would have simply been something else that caused Walter White to unleash his inner narcissistic sociopath. They got those in Canada and the UK too.

OP
OP
halcali

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Nah it would have just been some other incident that would set him off.

Walter was a bad guy. He was able to coast mostly thru life without realizing his narcissistic tendencies. It wasn't till his healthcare crisis that set him off.

It would have been inevitable.

you guys keep say 'nah' so dismissively... when we all know NOTHING is inevitable except death and bad fanfictions..

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
you guys keep say 'nah' so dismissively... when we all know NOTHING is inevitable except death and bad fanfictions..

We know that there came a point where he absolutely no longer needed the money for any sort of life saving medical care and yet refused to stop what he was doing. I'd say that gives us a lot of insight into the kind of person the show was trying to portray him to be. Almost as if that was the point of the show.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well if you want to get into fanfictions those would just be multiple universes.

It happened the way it happened and it couldn't happen any other way.

Cause and effect. He was already on this path long before the injustices of the car wash.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If the story had taken place in Canada or the UK it would have simply been something else that caused Walter White to unleash his inner narcissistic sociopath. They got those in Canada and the UK too.

Sure, but we're talking about Walt's specific circumstances. Yea he could have been a Canadian vampire or something and things had gone differently, but in this case he was just just a school teacher with the misfortune of getting cancer in the US.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but we're talking about Walt's specific circumstances. Yea he could have been a Canadian vampire or something and things had gone differently, but in this case he was just just a school teacher with the misfortune of getting cancer in the US.

He did, but that was simply the impetus for him breaking bad. It could have easily been something else. If we are talking about Walt's specific circumstances, why bring up Canada or the UK at all?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Because the US healthcare system failed him. In Canada or the UK he would have been treated. No reason to "break bad".

The US Healthcare system failed him. The US Healthcare system did not turn him into a villain. The whole "Breaking Bad Canada would have been one episode" thing is a nice little meme, but it misses the entire point of his character and the show.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The US Healthcare system failed him. The US Healthcare system did not turn him into a villain. The whole "Breaking Bad Canada would have been one episode" thing is a nice little meme, but it misses the entire point of his character and the show.

Not really, it's a uniquely American story. He became a villain because of the failings of his society. Layered failings over the course of the show. A tale as old as time.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, it's a uniquely American story. He became a villain because of the failings of his society. Layered failings over the course of the show. A tale as old as time.

Yes because only America fails its citizens lol.

He was a villain because he was a self centered, bitter, narcissistic asshole. They got those all over the world.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
So you make an entire thread based on statement you make not as a question, not even a what-if-maybe, but as a certainty: "... WOULD never have broken... yada yada"; and then you jump on people for having other what-if theories with an all-caps "we know NOTHING". What the fuck is this thread?