• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the wake of Solo: A Star Wars Story's bad performance, many Star Wars fans are reigniting an old debate: should the Disney-era Star Wars films move beyond the "nostalgia" that has fuelled recent entries and instead create something brand new? Many are hoping for a new type of film featuring original characters and concepts unlike those that we've seen in other Star Wars films. It's a big universe and while I've mostly enjoyed all four of the Disney-era films, I'm among those who are ready to see something fresh.

So allow me to introduce those of you unfamiliar with the current Disney canon to my favorite character, one who I think is tailor-made to appear in a fun and original Star Wars film unlike those you've seen before: Doctor Aphra.

5QOLE3E.jpg

In the last few years Disney has created their own new canon "expanded universe" consisting primarily of novels, comics, and TV series. Arguably in the top two or three most popular characters introduced into this new canon is Chelli Lona Aphra, who was created by writer Kieron Gillen as part of the Darth Vader comic series in 2015. Since becoming the Vader comic's breakout character, she has since received her own ongoing comic series, has appeared in the game Force Arena, and is getting her own action figure after winning a fan vote last year.

Often described by fans as a morally bankrupt hybrid of Han Solo and Indiana Jones, Doctor Aphra is an archaeologist who loves to explore ancient ruins and civilizations and plunder their treasures -- not to put in a museum, but to sell for big bucks and for the thrill of adventure. After blackmailing her university professor for her doctorate, Aphra has spent the last several years working her way through the galaxy's criminal underworld, selling her rare finds and making enemies.

We first meet her in the Darth Vader comic shortly after the destruction of the Death Star, when Vader has learned that he has a son and that Emperor Palpatine lied to him about what happened to his wife and unborn children. As a result, Vader decides to secretly go rogue and form a plan to turn his son to the dark side and destroy the Emperor. Vader recruits Aphra to help him with various tasks, such as reprogramming a pair of violent assassin droids, 0-0-0 ("Triple-Zero") and BT-1 ("Bee-Tee"), who are essentially homicidal versions of C-3PO and R2-D2 and become recurring characters in her story. Aphra is fully aware that Vader will eventually kill her to cover his tracks, but her lack of ambition and carefree lifestyle means she's not all that concerned about it.

Contrasted with Vader's stoic evil, Aphra is a more lighthearted and sarcastic character whose sense of humor and enthusiasm hide a broken and isolated young woman who has pushed away everyone who cared about her, including her friends, her estranged father, and her ex-girlfriend. By the culmination of the Vader comic, Aphra has rediscovered her interest in living and manages to trick Vader into thinking he has killed her, before going on the run in her own self-titled comic series.

2b771d720629b13d747374402fb61ab57a6743be_00.jpg

In her ongoing series, Aphra has become more of an anti-hero character, sometimes helping the Rebel Alliance but usually looking out only for herself, while trying to determine whether she might be a good person after all. She's stolen a crystal with an ancient Jedi A.I., befriended Luke Skywalker and then sold him to a vampire witch, had a less-than-amicable run-in with Star Wars Rebels hero Hera Syndulla, and even started something of a romance with an Imperial officer.

Aphra and her adventures are the perfect basis for an original Star Wars film. It would essentially be Indiana Jones in space, starring a protagonist with questionable morals, with a lighter and more adventurous tone and theme. Without the need for massive space battles and lightsaber fights, the budget could be kept smaller to compensate for the risk of making a film about an original character. Her fun and charismatic personality are begging to be translated to the big screen, and making a movie about an openly gay character played by an Asian actress would do wonders for onscreen representation in blockbuster films (yeah, it'd get banned in China, but Star Wars isn't exactly obliterating the box office there anyway). Plus, her mere existence has long enraged the anti-diversity shitheads within the Star Wars fanbase, so getting her own movie might cause them to spontaneously combust.

AcZmIWx.png

If you'd like to check out Aphra's adventures, you can read Darth Vader #1-25 (2015-2016) by Kieron Gillen and then Doctor Aphra (2016-), which has run for 20 issues as of this month.

So what do you think? Are there other characters you'd like to see in the big screen films?

2019 update
In the year and a half since I originally made this thread there have been some further developments:
  1. Aphra's series ended earlier this month with issue 40, but is being relaunched next April with a new creative team.
  2. Various rumor sources are saying Aphra might be getting a Disney+ series, possibly animated instead of live action, but nobody knows for sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I wouldn't say no, but I really believe that the non-saga films need to move away from the Fall of the Republic and the Rise of the Empire Era.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Inb4 grognards yelling about Revan

Also putting Aphra on the big screen is a risk, but it all comes down to the marketing, which basically has to sell folks on the conceit that she isn't just female Han Solo

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aphra and Rae Sloane are the best characters in the new literary EU.

I am really hopeful that they'll both end up on screen eventually somehow.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is Aphra the best new character, all her supporting characters are also great.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I like your posts, they're very detailed, and I enjoy reading them. The character sounds good, though I'm yet another of the mindset that believe they should somewhat move away from telling stories that are just a "fill in the blank" game set between the OT movies, or within close proximity to them. Do some anthology stuff set waaaaaay before TPM.

Also, this part stuck out to me...
befriended Luke Skywalker and then sold him to a vampire witch
I'm sorry, what?!

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't Jaxxon
starwarsrabbitjaxonside.jpg

I loved her in the Vader books. I didn't know her own solo series got so crazy and you may of sold me on it. She works pretty well cause you can make a solo adventure with her and introduce her to audiences with them not having to know her current adventures.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Aphra is definitely the best new Star Wars character. I don't think I have run into anyone that actively disliked her.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
So what do you think? Are there other characters you'd like to see in the big screen films?

Sinjir Rath Freaking Velus.

He's a former Imperial loyalty officer who hooks up with the Rebellion in the Aftermath books. I won't get into much detail because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but he's delightful.

(He's also one of the first confirmed gay characters of Star Wars, and seeing the "waaaah too many ladies and brown people in my Star Wars" crowd have to deal with a Sinjir movie would be pretty swell.)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm good. I don't need anymore movies set in the OT. And I say this as someone who loved Solo. Make new stuff please.
Also going just off the OP, she sounds like Guardians of the galaxy, and I don't need that in my Star Wars.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to stop making the standalone movies prequels to the story in the original 1977 Star Wars.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, so that's where 0-0-0 and BT-1 come from. Fantasy Flight Games sold a pack with miniatures of the both of them for the Imperial Assault game and I just assumed they were from Rebels. I guess I learned something.
She sounds like a fun character and a movie featuring her might be cool. Not before "Baron of the Empire: A Star Wars Story" about Soontir Fel though.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I, personally, would love to see a Darth Bane movie

Is he actually still canon or was he wiped away with everything else?

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I super want a film about that random ass trooper that screamed TRAITOR in the first movie of the sequel trilogy, he legit is one of the most memorable things about the film for me and I'm bummed they didn't take his reception and run with it instead of doubling down on Phasma.

Never heard of Doctor Aphra before but that sounds super fun. Failing that I'm at least gonna hunt down the stories with her!

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The only prequel people actually want is McGregor´s Obi-wan's Excellent Adventure

The other Star Wars Stories need to be full of new characters and locations, that's why RO succeeded where Solo failed

There's no problem in bringing back old favorites, but keep them as support players, give the spotlight to new faces

So yes, Give me Aphra

He is in The Clone Wars, which is canon, as vision of the past but with a new design and voiced by Mark Hamill

latest

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people will be confused about how Vader found a new gf but it's worth it.
This is from that story where she helped him with killbots while he found out about the secret experimental apprentices Sidious had been training because as it turns out he gets pissed when you let a random kid in an X-Wing blow up your several quadrillion space dollar space station, and when Vader demanded an explanation as to why he was going to be replaced Sidious was like "Why do you think?!" right?

A 501st movie would be cool but you might have to revisit the prequels.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He is actually still canon, although there is currently no canon information about him other than that he created the Rule of Two because his only canon appearance was as a spirit thing in a Clone Wars episode (voiced by Mark Hamill).

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Star Wars, but she looks like the Mary Suest Mary Sue to me. I feel like I've heard so many fictional characters described as "Han Solo but.....".

Aphra has a ton of flaws, fails all the time, and is a horrible person.

He's canon but his stories are not. We just know he created the Rule of Two.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
He is actually still canon, although there is currently no canon information about him other than that he created the Rule of Two because his only canon appearance was as a spirit thing in a Clone Wars episode (voiced by Mark Hamill).
Damn. I loved the books, and I think they'd make a really good movie, especially once he gets his force leech armor.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure she's in some good comics, but an evil-ish gender-swapped Han Solo and evil-ish R2 and 3po don't sound like such a good idea.