krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If only Seymour Skinner was the principal.

ilQREse.gif

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true. Schools or community theaters often pay a licensing catalog to get popular plays and scripts. Old stuff in the public domain is easy, but a school trying to do Wicked or Hamilton would pay.
Sure, but that's using the copyrighted assets of the script, music, etc. You don't need to do that to in order to put on a performance and if I remember correctly from that play they weren't using any copyrighted assets, so it effectively wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I could be completely wrong but don't they have to actively defend their IP when stuff like this is brought to their attention or it's harder for them n the future?
No. This is a massive misconception that pops up every time something vaguely like this happens (if Nintendo doesn't sue to oblivion the developer of this free, obscure fan game that was never released but has footage on YouTube, they'll lose the rights to Mario forever!)

They do have a duty to protect their IP to a certain extent, but not fining an elementary school movie night isn't suddenly going to cause a judge to say "well, you see, you didn't protect your movies well enough, so OF COURSE it's fine for people to sell bootleg recordings of your entire film library on eBay!"

It's more about a prolonged and consistent period of not protecting IP, largely in the case of more or less abandoned properties.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
I hear those little shits are planning to do Wizard of Oz for their school play next month. Get me MGM's lawyer on the phone.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine writing that letter to Disney.

Mr. Disney, I have some information I think you're going to want to hear.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could be completely wrong but don't they have to actively defend their IP when stuff like this is brought to their attention or it's harder for them n the future? Also they only took a fraction when they were making money off of it.

I'm not a huge fan of Disney eating up everything but I feel like this isn't so bad
Copyright is not the same thing as trademarks. You have to defend your trademarks but not your copyrights, as copyrights have a set time for expiration whereas trademarks have to continuously be renewed.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Disney corporate bootlickers are everywhere.
Disney is about to go fully wild. We already know they are adding layers to their copyright protection with trademark law. For instance all their movies now include that cute steam boat willie scene at the beginning. It'll be interesting to see what else they do to ramp up for 2024 Mickey Mouse public domain

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is about to go fully wild. We already know they are adding layers to their copyright protection with trademark law. For instance all their movies now include that cute steam boat willie scene at the beginning. It'll be interesting to see what else they do to ramp up for 2024 Mickey Mouse public domain

Don't worry. I'm sure they're already lobbying for another copyright term extension.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't worry. I'm sure they're already lobbying for another copyright term extension.
I could see that happening but I think they realized they cant extend it forever and feel like they can protect their strongest properties with trademark and brand protection and then poach all the other fictional stories characters that enter the public domain and go mwahahah.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This must be why every time my daughter tells me she watched a movie at school it's some weird public domain shit I've never heard of.

Also, who snitched?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
People keep asking "who snitched?" but this social media age, they probably snitched on themselves.

Did theyadvertise this on Facebook or did parents/faculty post pics online?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't make money off someone's IP. Music and movies have public performance rights. This is the same for music where you have to buy a license.

They literally have like 5 warnings on DVDs

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Should Disney have ignored this? Yes. Demanding a $250 fee is petty and a waste of everyone's time, and from a business perspective the potential gain is not worth the PR risk.

Should someone at the school have understood that you can't just buy a DVD and charge people to watch it? Also yes. That's a pretty foundational concept of "home video," and the school is almost certainly already familiar with the idea of public use rights for any music they use at sporting events.

You can hold both of those ideas in your head at the same time. Not everything is ultimate good vs. ultimate evil. Sometimes it's dumb PTA vs. dumb business.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screening something for kids in a classroom for free is not the same thing as holding a paid promotional fundraising event.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of hilarious, but I can appreciate how consistent Disney is with their hard-line enforcement of their IP rights.
Oh, they don't seem to be hard line at all with IP rights enforcement against the military units, or the police officers who put giant Punisher skull logos onto their patrol cars.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
It was most likely advertised on a Facebook page and Disney does look for that kind of stuff. Don't F with the mouse.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I'm the article I read on this, people pointed out that Disney apparently still pays property tax rates from 1978?

The point is that they took money from this school, screwing them over, while hardly contributing to education in the state. It's pretty fucked up.

Couldn't they have just sent a C&D instead?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm the article I read on this, people pointed out that Disney apparently still pays property tax rates from 1978?

The point is that they took money from this school, screwing them over, while hardly contributing to education in the state. It's pretty fucked up.

Couldn't they have just sent a C&D instead?
Can you cease and desist a one time event?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, Rise of Skywalker only made a billion dollars. At this rate the Disney executives are going to have to downgrade their toilet paper from hundreds to fifties.

Let's not gloss over their pain.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
People keep asking "who snitched?" but this social media age, they probably snitched on themselves.

Did theyadvertise this on Facebook or did parents/faculty post pics online?
They probably advertised. Our kids' school says in advance what the kids will watch so that parents can object if it's something with any "themes" to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Disney...they've destroyed the balance between IP rights and progress/innovation. Because of their incessant lobbying, copyrights have been extended to 120+ years from creation. That is fucking insane. Patents have undergone a similar yet less extreme duration increase, spurred by those inspired by Disney's finagling (originally 7 years, then 14, now 20 plus extension for novel use).

Creativity/Progress/Innovation has drastically slowed due to their rewriting the rules to suit their own agenda. The original duration of copyright in the US was the following (per Wikipedia): " The length of copyright established by the Founding Fathers was short, 14 years, plus the ability to renew it one time, for 14 more. " This is where it should have remained.

I'd advocate for a return to the original duration for copyright protection.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True story, I once chaperoned a school trip to Disneyland and not only were the student 'discounts' pitiful (and most of these kids are low income) we had to pay 26 bucks just to offload a bus full of paying customers.

Not to actually park mind you but a 26 dollar fee just to stop the bus fifteen minutes and let the kids out.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Also surprised it's only 250 bucks.
I'm legitimately surprised that they had to pay just $250. Knowing what Disney are like, I thought the punishment for this would far more severe.

Meanwhile that High School "Alien" play got funding and repeat play with Ridley Scott in the attendance, didn't it?
Yes! And a few other cast members. I live like 10 blocks away from that high school lol

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I could be completely wrong but don't they have to actively defend their IP when stuff like this is brought to their attention or it's harder for them n the future? Also they only took a fraction when they were making money off of it.

I'm not a huge fan of Disney eating up everything but I feel like this isn't so bad
Who snitched to disney that some random classroom was playing the lion king.

I'm sure many schools have watched it in their classrooms