• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So War Thunder has finally become free on Xbox One after being in paid early access for months. I loved the game when I used to play my PS4 especially as it's the one game I could play with my PC friends without being on my PC. I got curious how they handled blocking Xbox and PS4 from playing with each other seeing as it had full cross play with PC. The simple answer is; they don't. I was able to search for my PSN username in the in game friend finder on my Xbox One, add myself as a friend, send myself an invite and party up and play a match. Here's a screenshot from my Xbox One X playing with my PS4 (Hawkeye_335, green means you're in a party).

i4O0SmQ.png

Now I'm wondering how long this has been like this and how no one else has noticed. I half expect that Sony aren't even aware that this is possible as they didn't mention it in their blog post about Fortnite.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Pretty sure the game was cross platform with PC since it's launch?

Didn't play it for at least 2 years though. How is it these days?

It's been like this since forever (XBox version just released), but there's no cross-buy (i.e. there's "account prison"). Fun fact: you can play on PC with the same account you have on PS4 or X1. You just can't spend money there.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They've added helicopters (poorly for a time being) and fleet (ok). More nations as well. Low tiers are still fun, high tiers are still "pay2play" with PC crowd ruling the field.
Helicopters? How do these fit into the game? I guess I'm not on track with WT anymore lol

I stopped playing because the high tier grind was a complete disaster.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Smite also seems to get it, there's now console icons in the Xbox version (and I believe Hi-Rez even confirmed it, at work can't check)

Which would be awesome with the switch port coming too, Smite everywhere!

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
With all the fuss surrounding crossplay, I would have thought people would care more when games actually added PS4/Xbox cross play.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome! Tried the game out a long time ago on the PS4. I wonder how it is now. Good on Sony if they are aware of this and still not blocking it.

With all the fuss surrounding crossplay, I would have thought people would care more when games actually added PS4/Xbox cross play.

Glad you bumped this because I missed it earlier. Good stuff. The more games that support this, the better for us all.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This is good news. Ball's in your court Microsoft.

Remove that paywall on games that are for good reason designed to be free-to-play.

It's the exact same situation as when Xbox announced mods, and Sony were dragged about not allowing them or giving the same freedoms as MS does, and now there's less than a handful of games that make use of them. It makes you question why it was made to be such a big deal when not even MS cared to implement it on their games. Just like cross-play, not many people really care, and it's an extremely overblown issue.

Sony had cross-play with PC games for years and nobody really talked about it or questioned why it wasn't happening on consoles until MS brought it up almost a decade later. Just like I think Unreal Tournament 3 had mods on Sony's console, but nobody really thought it was worth criticising anyone over for lacking until MS had it and started talking about it a decade later.

Because no one plays War Thunder
Isn't one of the main arguments for cross-play is that it helps unify player pools on games that have low player counts, and keeps multiplayer games active for longer on lesser played games?

Last edited:

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Gaijin Entertainment have enabled this option a bit too early. A number of devs have dropped hints that cross-play is in the pipeline for their own titles but they are waiting for the Fortnite Sony test period to end before enabling it.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Once Sony got on board with console crossplay, interest in the feature seemed to disappear overnight on Era. Only a few months ago we were getting what felt like daily threads on it from Gowans alone, but you hardly see anything these days.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This reminds me, did Rocket League ever go live with XBL/PSN crossplay yet?

Also, did they ever get cross-parties working? I remember them wanting to get that working.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
But has your PS4 experience suffered without Sony's "protection"?

Jk, this is awesome, hope to see it be a standard.