• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think it doesn't speak well for you if you are able to work for or with someone who is so outwardly a horrible person.
If you're going to shame every person who isn't willing or able to uproot their entire life and income stream because their boss is a douche, you're not going to get much sleep. While you live on a high horse in the land of blind idealism, most other people live in reality.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Yup, not sure why this gets handwaved away as it just being one man being the problem. The game is gross, the guy is human trash, and I don't know why discussion is allowed.
It seems like Era overall is moving away from game bans.

We could play this discussion out with nearly every high-profile product released and in the end the answer would ultimately be to shut down the site. 🤷‍♀️

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Never played this despite getting it free from Epic but the combat always looked horrifically awkward in videos.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly might be the game I'm most hyped for right now. So much potential in a sequel based on the ideas of the first game with more polish.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
The first game was the closest a non-Bethesda game has come to actually replicating the nonlinear sandbox elements of Elder Scrolls with a lot of interesting ideas, unique quests, and a surprisingly nonviolent bent for this kind of game.

But the main plot is more or less straight-up Czech nationalism (the story is weirdly racist against Germans and Hungarians), and its treatment of women suggested a push and pull between appealing to A Certain Kind of Gamer and trying to give two of the female characters fleshed-out arcs.
Indeed. I can't think of another game that scratches the Bethesda itch like this one.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
Honestly, I think it doesn't speak well for you if you are able to work for or with someone who is so outwardly a horrible person.
Oh come on. People need to work to live. Just because one person is a POS does not make anyone that works for/with him. Families need to survive. They need jobs to do that. The dude is a PoS to be clear.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Never finished the first after getting a game-breaking bug halfway through but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this. There aren't many comparable games around.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Game looks great as expected but

8q5oUb3.png

smells-bad-philip-blake.gif

Yea, game looks good, but I can't support this dude. Will watch a streamer play this.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Have you seen the games industry at the moment? Thousands and thousands of lay offs. So they should quit and err… probably not get another job because their boss sucks?

I understand not liking the guy, but come on, the hundred of people who shouldn't work for him shouldn't be judged unless they share his views. Abd should voice actors be judged as well? Distributors? The third people reps at Sony and Microsoft and Steam?

It's eh ultra slippery slope. Judge him, not his employees. People don't always have a choice where they work.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I think that even if I were a bad person, I'd find those gamergate pics corny. What a dumbass.

But the sentiment behind them is shit, too. I'll find and enjoy other games to play. It's an easy pass for me.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Have you seen the games industry at the moment? Thousands and thousands of lay offs. So they should quit and err… probably not get another job because their boss sucks?

I understand not liking the guy, but come on, the hundred of people who shouldn't work for him shouldn't be judged unless they share his views. Abd should voice actors be judged as well? Distributors? The third people reps at Sony and Microsoft and Steam?

It's eh ultra slippery slope. Judge him, not his employees. People don't always have a choice where they work.
Yep and nevermind the fact that Czechia is a small country with a small games industry, even though its industry punches aboves its weight, there are not that many game companies. Warhorse is one of the biggest with >200 devs with a lot of awesome devs working there, and not all from Czechia either, because people come from some countries in Europe without much of a domestic games industry. Another two fairly large (relative to other countries) is Bohemia Interactive and SCS (Eurotruck sim)

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Yep and nevermind the fact that Czechia is a small country with a small games industry, even though its industry punches aboves its weight, there are not that many game companies. Warhorse is one of the biggest with >200 devs with a lot of awesome devs working there, and not all from Czechia either, because people come from some countries in Europe without much of a domestic games industry

With 200 people working there, there are probably those who barely even know him as well. Its not like it is a close knit people of eight. They arne't all hanging out and getting lunch with him.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
He's the company founder. He's the one who drops people, not the other way around. Which is one of the many reasons the "It's just one guy!" shit is such nonsense.

Noone of those things (if still relevant, because he sold the company 5 years ago iirc) have anything to do with the original point being discussed in this echange, which is that if you work for a POS you must be a POS too, in this case referred to the 250 other members of the studio. That's still nonsense.

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021

We could play this discussion out with nearly every high-profile product released and in the end the answer would ultimately be to shut down the site. 🤷‍♀️
But that's just not true though, is it? There's endless games that haven't got a lead shitposting right wing nonsense.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
He's the company founder. He's the one who drops people, not the other way around. Which is one of the many reasons the "It's just one guy!" shit is such nonsense.
So they don't have a CEO or whatever above him as a creative director that could shuffle him off? Ok I was unaware of their cooperate structure.I agree "The it's just one guy" argument is ridiculous because he's the director of the game not the assistant foley artist or something. Still it's not on the wage workers.

I got hoodwinked one the first game, buying it before I knew about him. I'm going to be skipping this one.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Warhorse is under Deep Silver who is under Plaion who is under Embracer. This isn't some indie company. Vavra is a prominent employee, yes, but he's still just an employee. And they absolutely should have shitcanned him years ago.

wanderjahr

May 8, 2020
Co-founder of the game is a jackass but the game looks decent and I won't fault anyone for playing it. We all contribute towards the suffering of someone or the support of something terrible by simply existing in a modern capitalist society.

Videogames are also, frankly, at the bottom of the things I care about when it comes to global impact. There are much more important things to give your headspace to.

Mind you, I'm not saying we shouldn't all strive to limit the amount of suffering we contribute to and I respect whatever choice people make not to give money to pieces of shit.

There are those that make the excuse of "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism and therefore it doesn't matter what I do" and I feel that's just a cop-out to never care about whatever footprint you leave or the terrible practices you support by needless purchasing.

I just don't care enough to lecture anyone about it anymore.
Here, here

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
Honestly, if this was a rule people follow they are going to have a very hard time finding a job. I get it if its a single dev that made a game, but people want to cancel entire companies that employee thousands of people. So many company's owners and c-suite are borderline psychopaths. Its like saying if you don't like what the country you live in is doing, it doesn't speak well of you that you continue to live there.

DesVoeux

Dec 16, 2023

I'm pretty new on Era, so I didn't realize Cyberpunk was banned. (For something that seems much more mild than having the lead developer espousing bigotry online.)

I don't agree with your idea of what the endgame would be though… Vavra is so repulsive specifically because he's out there openly advocating his awful views. Bobby Kottick is a POS but he's not on Twitter celebrating bigotry. The KCD/Warhorse situation is more like if Mark Kern's fake game was actually launched and the conversation was centered on how cool it looked.

But that's just not true though, is it? There's endless games that haven't got a lead shitposting right wing nonsense.

Exactly.

You will have a hard time in life if you refuse to transact with people you do not like or agree with.

This isn't like going to a restaurant whose manager is a Republican, it's like going to a restaurant whose manager parks his truck out front with a Confederate flag flying on top and a "white power" sticker on back. Personally, at that point it doesn't matter how good the food tastes or how much I like the staff, I can't go there.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
If that were the only legitimate grievance that caused anyone to ask for games to be banned on this site, you would be right.

But different people care about different things, and assholes thrive everywhere, so the list doesn't begin and end with Warhorse.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly you sound like a clown and have a hard time believing you actually function in society with that mindset. You either dont have a real job, dont know your co workers, or youre just talking shit. Take your pick.

IslandDweller

Sep 22, 2023
R6w8Dum.jpg
50ZGB2J.jpg

Yp2aAn1.jpg

Draw distance quality is pure dark magic. Even the lighting far away looks so stunning. RDR2 gets competition. I underestimated CryEngine ngl.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
R6w8Dum.jpg
50ZGB2J.jpg

Yp2aAn1.jpg

Draw distance quality is pure dark magic. Even the lighting far away looks so stunning. RDR2 gets competition. I underestimated CryEngine ngl.

Yep was just thinking this is definitely the most impressive lighting lod we've seen since RDR2. The shadow lod alone in the trees in the first screenshot looks insane. Second one looks so good it has me wondering if its legit lol.

How the heck is this gonna run on Series S :P

Feb 20, 2024
I tried to get into the first one but didn't entirely know what I was committing to. Is it an RPG? Is it a Farm Simulator?

WTF is it? I want to like it, but don't know if I should allocate the time.

If anyone wants to try and sell me on the first game in two sentences, I'm all ears.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get into the first one but didn't entirely know what I was committing to. Is it an RPG? Is it a Farm Simulator?

If anyone wants to try and sell me on the first game in two sentences, I'm all ears.
Skyrim, with no dragons and some very heavy RPG elements.

it doesn't hold your hand and you have to be fine with understanding that your character starts out completely useless.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely there Day 1. It took me a long while to get into KCD but when it just clicked for me, i was hooked.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
One thing I do notice whenever this game is mentioned in a thread is that there seem to be two parallel threads happening at the same time. One thread is uncritically saying "nice! day one, can't wait" and the other is saying "i feel insane, the director/writer of this game and cofounder of the studio is a massive gamergater" and it does make me wonder what universe the former thread is taking place in - I just wouldn't be able to ignore this or separate the (heavily intertwined, as much as people would like to deny it) art from the artist enough to enjoy a title by the guy.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Skyrim, with no dragons and some very heavy RPG elements.

it doesn't hold your hand and you have to be fine with understanding that your character starts out completely useless.

A bit more than "Skyrim with no dragons", I guess the correct description would be something like "Skyrim/The Witcher" set in medieval times with no fantasy/magic element whatsoever.

If the game clicks for you, it'll take you a lot of time to explore it all.

It is challenging and very frustrating at the beginning, but precisely because of that it is very rewarding as you progress and the character starts to get more proficient. The way the RPG and story elements intertwine opens up quite a wide range of ways to advance, which makes it all the more engaging: like you can go pretty much all the way with no combat skills or you can devote yourself to become more of a warrior, albeit far from a death machine like a late game Skyrim character.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I do notice whenever this game is mentioned in a thread is that there seem to be two parallel threads happening at the same time. One thread is uncritically saying "nice! day one, can't wait" and the other is saying "i feel insane, the director/writer of this game and cofounder of the studio is a massive gamergater" and it does make me wonder what universe the former thread is taking place in - I just wouldn't be able to ignore this or separate the (heavily intertwined, as much as people would like to deny it) art from the artist enough to enjoy a title by the guy.

It's a conspiracy theory that I don't really believe, but my first reaction is always to wonder if the people in the first camp are astroturfing, people who work for the studio or something. That's very likely not the case, especially since the couple times I've clicked through to look at other threads/posts there has been a healthy history of just chatting in F1 threads or talking about smash.

Some people really do just have blinders on, and don't give a damn about marginalized people. It truly sucks.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Games are a colective endeavour, you can appreciate the craft and effort put on this without needing to embrace, support or stop denouncing Vavra disgusting views.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows Vavra is a shithead; for the people that like the game there is not much else that needs to be said (and its been discussed in nauseum in every thread before this one). I don't mind if people bringing him up and warn people about the creator; but I also don't see an issue with people ignoring those posts if they actually want to discuss the game.

twister926

Apr 28, 2022
2024 release means I need to finally play the first one soon. I was born in Eastern Europe and this seems like a mix of Oblivion (UI is so similar) with Gothic (you start as an absolute nobody), with heavy RPG elements. I'm so tired of 'you're a chosen one and almost everyone admires you' storylines in RPGs...

Nov 2, 2019
I really liked the first but I just could not, no matter how many hours of practice, I could not even get a basic grasp of the combat. I get that Elder Scrolls games are just mostly button mashing but this felt like a swing in the complete opposite direction and trying to do too much. Hopefully it's refined at least a little.

Feb 20, 2024
A bit more than "Skyrim with no dragons", I guess the correct description would be something like "Skyrim/The Witcher" set in medieval times with no fantasy/magic element whatsoever.

If the game clicks for you, it'll take you a lot of time to explore it all.

It is challenging and very frustrating at the beginning, but precisely because of that it is very rewarding as you progress and the character starts to get more proficient. The way the RPG and story elements intertwine opens up quite a wide range of ways to advance, which makes it all the more engaging: like you can go pretty much all the way with no combat skills or you can devote yourself to become more of a warrior, albeit far from a death machine like a late game Skyrim character.

Sounds like Gothic

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I wanted to like the original but it had without a shred of a doubt, the absolute worst combat system I ever experienced. If the combat in this sequel ends up pretty much the same, it's gonna be a pass from me.

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
Is the first one required playing? Is it worth playing? I was vaguely interested in it when it was coming out but didn't have a PC to run it. After that I just never really heard about it.