Man God

Oct 25, 2017
TLS is the best of the three. I don't like BD's story nor vibe, and I think LO drags. TLS was this perfectly weird little Wii RPG that felt like it belonged on the 360.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Does the battle system in Lost Odyssey ever stop feeling laid out/dull?

I played 8 hours or so of the game and I always felt like I was on the rails with little impact on what was going to happen in a battle.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, FF13 trilogy… any other X360(or XOne)-era JRPGs I should be adding to the list?

A few I can think of:

-Enchanted Arms, which is turn-based but with a grid-like system. Akin to South Park: The Fractured But Whole. It was decent and an easy 1000/1000 Gamerscore. Believe I got just playing through the game.

-Eternal Sonata. Pretty emotional game about a famous musician who is dying and you're playing as various people who are named after musical instruments and such. It's not a rhythm game type game or anything like that at all though just to be clear. Also turn-based/sort of real-time as you do control the characters' movements during your turn. Really enjoyed this one. Story was fantastic imo.

-Infinite Undiscovery. Don't remember a whole lot about it other than I did like it and it had a heck of a hard beginning. Once you get past that first hour (?) it's smooth sailing from there.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Sick, From Software huh? Never heard of it, definitely trying this one out
A few I can think of:

-Enchanted Arms, which is turn-based but with a grid-like system. Akin to South Park: The Fractured But Whole. It was decent and an easy 1000/1000 Gamerscore. Believe I got just playing through the game.

-Eternal Sonata. Pretty emotional game about a famous musician who is dying and you're playing as various people who are named after musical instruments and such. It's not a rhythm game type game or anything like that at all though just to be clear. Also turn-based/sort of real-time as you do control the characters' movements during your turn. Really enjoyed this one. Story was fantastic imo.

-Infinite Undiscovery. Don't remember a whole lot about it other than I did like it and it had a heck of a hard beginning. Once you get past that first hour (?) it's smooth sailing from there.
Oh man Eternal Sonata, had completely wiped that game from my memory. A friend of mine would rave about it at hockey practice back in the day lol. Thanks for the recs, adding them to the wish list

cake

Oct 25, 2017
How are the load times on the backwards compatible version of Lost Odyssey, anyway? I remember the loads being one of the worst things about that game.

I played through the whole game on my One X a few years back and the load times were ridiculously faster than when I first messed with it on my 360 back in the day (even doing the disc install on the 360 so it wasn't reading from the disc). I imagine it's slightly faster on a Series but it's already so hugely improved.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The room is very small it seems like when even companies like capcom are not releasing collections on xbox it sucks but seems like they are not selling.

We are not the only room though. The amount of enthusiast hype, from not just us, would get a lot of eyes on Microsoft and Gamepass. I'm not saying it would be a major seller, but it would be a massive PR boost.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
Lost Odyssey and FF13...

Two mid games.

🏃‍♂️

The opening of LO was cool tho.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
The dreams in this game were incredible little stories but man, they show up just often enough and are just long enough to become really annoying after a while.

Also the villain's design is so bad it almost ruins the whole game for me

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The dreams in this game were incredible little stories but man, they show up just often enough and are just long enough to become really annoying after a while.

Also the villain's design is so bad it almost ruins the whole game for me
Character design is so bad. Like Kaim, whatever, generic sad hero guy, fine. Everyone else? Trash fire. Looks like PS2 CG cutscene models in real time.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Still have my disc, I really wish it was enhanced for the series x, 720p30 is rough - runs fine and load times are good but oof it looks its age.

edit: After posting this I went to look at a random shelf that I have a bunch of games in (all my original copies lol), and laughed at this completely random selection:
I went all digital starting with ps4/xbox one and this is the first time I miss physical lol
7O4fJh4.png

0txHE9l.png

0IOjoUs.png

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who wants a big-budget RPG that feels like what we had on PS1 and early PS2 should play this.
Like, if you played and liked Fantasian last year there's a good chance you'll like this.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I went to buy this on my Xbox and then I learned that not only did I already buy this game. But I have it installed on my console. And I forgot...

...... I'll get to this eventually.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I went to buy this on my Xbox and then I learned that not only did I already buy this game. But I have it installed on my console. And I forgot...

...... I'll get to this eventually.

I think it was given away as a random freebie at one point, not even sure if it was XBLG or anything, just 'hey, this is >free!<' one day.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
FF XIII has a better battle system, I always get bored of Lost Odyssey halfway through.
If that's what you think the combat in FFXIII is then you haven't played it.

I really struggle to relate with this point because FF XIII's battle system only starts offering any kind of choice or agency dozens of hours into the game, not very long before it's over.

I feel like FFXIII is one of those games where people spent so much time theory crafting the theoretical possibilities of the game that they forget the actual experience playing through it for the first time. You have no choice of party, no choice in how you approach any enemies for the most part of that first playthrough.

It's exactly one way or no way at all regularly culminating in the absolutely dreadful Eidolon encounters that ask you do trial and error your way through a time limit until you stumble upon the one exact way you are allowed to damage them.

Meanwhile LO has probably the best implementation of the classis turn battle system of the Genre in my opinion. It's the only time I ever loved going through the endgame in any of these games, leveling all my chars to 99 in the process.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
God, I really wish they would port Lost Odyssey to PC. I didn't actually enjoy the game that much back in the 360 days, but I would love to give it another try.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part about FF XIII's battle system is that it only starts offering any kind of choice or agency dozens of hours into the game, not very long before it's over.

FFXIII is one of those games where people spent so much time theory crafting the theoretical possibilities of the game that they forget the actual experience playing through it for the first time. You have no choice of party, no choice in how you approach any enemies for the most part of that first playthrough.

It's exactly one way or no way at all regularly culminating in the absolutely dreadful Eidolon encounters that ask you do trial and error your way through a time limit until you stumble upon the one exact way you are allowed to damage them.

FF XIII is the pretty much the worst in anything but presentation.

Meanwhile LO has probably the best implementation of the classis turn battle system of the Genre in my opinion. It's the only time I ever loved going through the endgame in any of these games, leveling all my chars to 99 in the process.

Its not about choice its about execution. The game gives you all the tools you need until the game opens up later on. Being able to execute well greatly trivializes most encounters in the game. Its the best implementation of the ATB system in Final Fantasy. If all you do is mash the X button to hit auto battle every single time that is on you for not engaging with the game more.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I liked the Lost Oddessey battle system more. FFXIII's isn't bad but it does feel like just watching numbers go up and down and swapping setups to maximize damage. It's like watching the stock exchange it gets pretty boring.

That said I have never had a problem with 'old' battle systems and actually really enjoy them so it was a top game for me when FFXIII was a pure stinker.