Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
JK Rowling did the harm to the last movie, not Depp. And in the case of Depp, I don't think people will care because both Amber Heard and Johnny Depp are equally terrible people who violently abused each other, she cut off his finger, gave him a black eye, etc.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were great Children's books.

Emphasis on "Children."

Heh, funny that you say that as I said that in another Potter thread and people just flipped their lids and trying to argue that it wasn't.

Hey, credit where credit's due. It's a team effort.

Hmm, true.

The books changed a lot, the last ones weren't that childish at all.

Doesn't matter, it's still regarded as a children book and are placed in the children section in stores.

Harry Potter is a series solely aimed towards children and the later book still reflect that with its basic story telling of good vs evil.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I feel like you could replace anybody with anybody in the fantastic beasts movies and you'd be good. Dan Fogler is pretty good though.

OP
OP
Rosebud

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Doesn't matter, it's still regarded as a children book and are placed in the children section in stores.

Harry Potter is a series solely aimed towards children and the later book still reflect that with its basic story telling of good vs evil.

Yes, and there's no problem with that. But the fun about the series was growing up with the books, that changed little by little.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
The last movie did just fine in fucking up the brand.

(Harry Potter is still an awesome universe and the parks are dope).

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, funny that you say that as I said that in another Potter thread and people just flipped their lids and trying to argue that it wasn't.

Hmm, true.

They were crossover books also marketed towards adults. That's why there were versions with more "serious" fantasy covers.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
They had the perfect cast with Colin already then casted Depp because they didn't get the memo no one cares about Jack Sparrow anymore

Idiots made their bed

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well its Very easy to recast, Just create a Magical excuse and done, the toilete thing JK created was way worse than the excuse they could create.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
JK Rowling did the harm to the last movie, not Depp. And in the case of Depp, I don't think people will care because both Amber Heard and Johnny Depp are equally terrible people who violently abused each other, she cut off his finger, gave him a black eye, etc.

Wait a minute... where have I heard that name? *googles Amber Heard*

Oh. Mera. From Aquaman. WB's newest Box Office hit. That they're trying to develop a sequel for.

Someone at WB is crying right now.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Disney knew what they were doing when they decided to reboot Pirates.

WB fucked up.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
This is like setting your house on fire then coming back later surprised that it has burned down.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone clamoring for a Pirates movie without Jack Sparrow? Disney might have been better off just ending that series.
You're probably right.

At any rate, they were right to end the current series. There were a lot of rumors going around that he was nigh uninsurable for Disney due to his antics and that's why they got rid of him.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right.

At any rate, they were right to end the current series. There were a lot of rumors going around that he was nigh uninsurable for Disney due to his antics and that's why they got rid of him.

That and he showed up drunk/hungover everyday and had to be fed his lines with an earpiece.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Couldn't they just recast? Maybe explain it away in some magic wizardy nonsense? I mean would anyone really be THAT upset if they went this route?

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
You guys really REALLY don't like the second Fantastic Beasts do you

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly thought he did a great job in the last movie. I think with the allegations and the hit his reputation's taken, he really tried to knock it out of the park as Grindelwald to get some good will back.

Too bad the movie itself was bad, that overshadows anything about his acting ability.

If the allegations are true, he's trash, but even if they're not it isn't like any of this was unknown when they first brought him on. Warner Bros. made that bed.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If only they stuck with Colin

WavyShallowDrever-size_restricted.gif

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this dudes reveal at the end of the first movie is the only time I've ever heard an entire theater full or people groan

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Yeah this is my take on an article otherwise summarizable as "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Hot take: Even the first one wasn't that good.

I think I liked the second one more than the first but mainly because when I saw the first I wanted some sort of weird action movie mostly about weird animals and instead I got a few animals and a lot of weird alternate-history politics. When the second one was almost exclusively alternate-history politics, I...at least mostly knew what I was getting into. Thank god I already knew about the whole 'vapes the holocaust' thing going in though, otherwise I'm sure I'd have had a conniption in the theater

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first one was fine for what it was, but Jesus Christ that dumpster fire of a 2nd Film was awful.

Oct 26, 2017
Not like this is new news. They made their bed
Exactly. Why the fuck are they NOW nervous? They should have stuck with Colin.

Yeah this is my take on an article otherwise summarizable as "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

I think I liked the second one more than the first but mainly because when I saw the first I wanted some sort of weird action movie mostly about weird animals and instead I got a few animals and a lot of weird alternate-history politics. When the second one was almost exclusively alternate-history politics, I...at least mostly knew what I was getting into. Thank god I already knew about the whole 'vapes the holocaust' thing going in though, otherwise I'm sure I'd have had a conniption in the theater
I'm with you. I like the second one more. Warts and all.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean didn't literally everybody say it was a bad idea to have Johnny Depp as Grindelwald and he should be recast or they should have kept Colin Farrell considering the allegation surrounding him?

Depp was hardly the worst part of Fantastic Beasts 2, and overall he wasn't what made me dislike the film but he didn't make it a better experience, either.

They are likely trying to find some excuse to lean on either if they decide to cut the series down from the current amount of slated films or continue on the way they are and the box office numbers and reviews don't get better.

They can either stand by their casting choice and get a talented screenplay writer in with Rowling to course correct or recast Depp and get a talented screenplay writer in with Rowling to course correct.

My vote is on the second option because nobody is going to be mad if they just have Grindelwald use some unknown spell or potion that changes how he looks permanently for some reason or other, and hardly anybody will be upset if they recast Depp.

this dudes reveal at the end of the first movie is the only time I've ever heard an entire theater full or people groan

This was also my theater. It was amazing. A few of the more ratchet viewers yelled "really!?" at the screen in that moment.