Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
My frst Postmates delivery this guy ordered a salad, picked it up, got it to him fast and the restaurant messed up and put something on it he requested not be, so he screamed at me telling me how dumb I am and that a trained monkey could do this job and how I still messed up. He was mad that I didn't open his salad and inspect it before I took it to him. Karma got him quick and he locked himself out of his house during his tirade. That was my last Postmates delivery. I hope he was locked out for awhile.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Doordash seems like a complete shit setup. Their system seems to only benefit them, not the employees...and definitely not the customers.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what did he do wrong, then?

Companies (Door Dash, Postmates, Amazon, etc.) tailor these jobs so drivers need to multitask in order to make a decentish wage. Doing that requires making time estimates, which can end up being wrong when something abnormal happens, like in the case of the OP where a restaurant took a ridiculous amount of time to get out the food, or when whatever service being used to make those estimates is off.

Why was the OP wrong to double up here? The result ended up being bad, but where did an error in judgment occur? Based on what the OP has said, it seems the fault lies more in how DoorDash is structured than anything else.
The error occurred when he arrived at the second restaurant and the food wasn't ready. They likely gave him an ETA at that point, but even if they didn't, he had warm food in the car that needed to be delivered. He should have left the restaurant immediately, completed the first delivery, then circled back to the restaurant to pick up the second delivery.

Yes, lots of extra driving that could have been prevented if the restaurant had provided an accurate estimate to DoorDash. It sucks that OP has to manage scenarios like this. That's the job, though. That's why some drivers have perfect 5-star averages. They know how to handle shit.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I asked the restaurant numerous times and they kept saying a couple more minutes
Couple more minutes does not mean 45 minutes. Did you tell them you are in the middle of an order and can come back to pick up if it takes longer than say 10 minutes? If so, why didn't you leave instead of waiting?

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't use food delivery but if I did what I have learned so far is expect cold food.
Apparently that's expected otherwise I don't know what else you expected op. Should never be yelled at but if you have 90 dollars in cold food it's gonna be a 1 star rating.
Or I guess food deliveries are cold ? That's what I learned on era

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Read my first response which you left out in your quote?

So you expect the driver, in the middle of traffic, to see that a new order has come in, and before accepting it (which is time limited because others may accept it) find the restaurants number and call them and ask them how long this order, which they may not have enough information to identify because they haven't accepted the delivery yet, will take, so they can figure out if they can accept the order? "Just never take a second order and be hungry because you're not making any money" is a lot more defensible than that.

Not to mention that, as the OP says, the restaurant simply lied or did not know themselves how long the food would take. Usually when an order is extremely late it's not because that's standard operating procedure, it's because something went unexpectedly wrong!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you take the standard mile deduction everything is built into that like deprecation and stuff, or you can itemize.
I imagine itemization is the way to go for a job like this. A delivery person's mileage should crush the standard deduction. OP should be using a mileage tracking app if he isn't already.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Couple more minutes does not mean 45 minutes. Did you tell them you are in the middle of an order and can come back to pick up if it takes longer than say 10 minutes? If so, why didn't you leave instead of waiting?

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. But I have to swipe that I have arrived at the restaurant. This is supposed to give them a heads up to get the food together ASAP on their end of the service. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe you can leave once you swipe that you have arrived at the restaurant. You can completely abandon an order, but this also impacts a stat that can get you fired for not completing orders.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
I wouldn't have sworn at you but it's 100% your fault. She ordered $90 worth of food and you pick up another optional order and then let the first food get cold. Sure it wasn't your fault you had to wait but at least at that point go and come back. You deserve the rating but of course not the way she spoke to you.
I'd never use a third party delivery service honestly.

elektrocats

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
As a customer I can tell you that there's nothing more frustrating than paying for Food + Delivery + Tip only to get cold food and 45minutes later than you were expecting.

It's like what's the point in even ordering out if the food is just gonna be cold? That is more important to me than getting it late

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
i got cursed out over the phone while working at Domino's. lady called me a dumb-ass because i told her i don't have the ability to track our divers in real time. i just put her on hold and walked away.

Oct 28, 2018
It's ridiculous that people are expecting OP to do the job of doordash for them. They literally have thousands of engineers and data scientists working on these problems. If they recommend to OP something that turns out to be longer than expected that is on them. They took that risk, not OP. If they want to avoid these potential scenarios from happening they should not be recommending to OP to take on a 2nd order. It's that simple.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So you expect the driver, in the middle of traffic, to see that a new order has come in, and before accepting it (which is time limited because others may accept it) find the restaurants number and call them and ask them how long this order, which they may not have enough information to identify because they haven't accepted the delivery yet, will take, so they can figure out if they can accept the order?

Not to mention that, as the OP says, the restaurant simply lied or did not know themselves how long the food would take. Usually when an order is extremely late it's not because that's standard operating procedure, it's because something went unexpectedly wrong!
Why not? I would call and ask if it's ready. And if you don't want to call, then just ask at the counter. When arriving at the second restaurant, seeing as the order was not ready, give them 10 minutes to get it ready or come back to pick it up.

I understand these mega silicon valley gig economy corporations are trying to make us into robots with minimal service. They are also at fault for their shitty algorithms and value of buck making over service. Yet if you are employed by these faceless corporations, at least be resourceful enough to survive.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. But I have to swipe that I have arrived at the restaurant. This is supposed to give them a heads up to get the food together ASAP on their end of the service. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe you can leave once you swipe that you have arrived at the restaurant. You can completely abandon an order, but this also impacts a stat that can get you fired for not completing orders.
This is a human interaction scenario. You tell the person at the front "I have warm food in the car for (street name) down the road, I'm going to drop that off and be right back." Write your cell number on a napkin or something if that sets them at ease. Turn on the charm, whatever you gotta do to get out of there to finish the first order.

Or if you suspect there might be an issue (and you should in the future, at least at this restaurant) ask about the wait time before you swipe.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what you were expecting when you made this thread.

Also I'd invest in one of those bags that keep food warm that I saw drivers use to keep food warm for at least 30 minutes. Driver would be half an hour away and food would still be hot when he got to me. Also I have always had a poor experience with door dash but they have betrer options than both postmates and uber eats. It sucks.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You deserve the bad rating but the customer cursing you out is always unacceptable no matter how angry they may be. Some people have absolutely no empathy at all which reveals a lot about their character.

Fuck asshole and entitled customers. Customer service people don't owe them shit if they're gonna be assholes about it.

elektrocats

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Thinking about it now, OP should've just accepted the second order but picked it up after delivery of the first order instead of before. The food will stay hotter longer sitting in the restauraunt rather than in his/her car

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if any of these options are available to you, but there's a couple of things you could have tried to at least salvage the situation a little.

- If the food wasn't ready at the second pickup when I arrived I would have asked if I had enough time to run out and deliver the first order while they get the second ready.
- Phone the first customer, explaining that you're going to be late if I was waiting more than 5 or 10 minutes.
- Checked with DoorDash to see if they would discount the first customers order, since it was the second restaurants fault that the first order is now late.

I'll assume you did but you didn't even mention in you post that you apologised. I dunno, I've worked in customer service for well over a decade now. Sometimes a shitty rating is unavoidable and out of your hands but I also don't think you did enough to try and fix it. 25 minutes at the second restaurant is far too long to be sitting waiting and not at least trying to be proactive.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
And what's the problem with swiping you've arrived, then leaving to drop off the first order and coming back for it? Even if the second customer called the second restaurant to see where you were, they'd have found out that their food wasn't ready, so it wasn't your fault.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
OP should definitely take the second delivery, make more money, be more environmentally friendly. Sometimes shit happens. So she had to wait for her food longer than expected. If you can't handle that you shouldn't order food. In this case, it is not on the the OP this happened.
Wasting food is not environmentally friendly either. And it is literally on the OP that this happened. The only reason the food was late is his decision. We would all be a lot more understanding if there was a car accident, a traffic jam, or anything. But that is not the case here. He waited over half an hour at another place.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I ordered $90 worth of food, received a notification saying my order was picked up by the deliverer and then had to wait 45 minutes to get cold food I would give a 1 star review. I would not lash out at the rider when receiving the order, but I would definitely leave a 1 star review.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Might've not been your fault, but it's hard to blame her for being upset. $90 worth of food arrives 45 minutes late and cold?

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
My frst Postmates delivery this guy ordered a salad, picked it up, got it to him fast and the restaurant messed up and put something on it he requested not be, so he screamed at me telling me how dumb I am and that a trained monkey could do this job and how I still messed up. He was mad that I didn't open his salad and inspect it before I took it to him. Karma got him quick and he locked himself out of his house during his tirade. That was my last Postmates delivery. I hope he was locked out for awhile.

This is more along the lines of what I was expecting to be honest. The guy was an unreasonable angry prick to someone who wasn't even responsible for preparing their food.

I just used my first delivery app the other day. a quick lunch from Chipotle when I couldn't get out of the office. The delivery and food went fine but unfortunately the app didn't let me specify 'extra hot salsa on the side', so I had to order chips on the side, which I don't even like, so left those in the break room and took the salsa. 1st world problems, do we have a thread for them

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
- If the food wasn't ready at the second pickup when I arrived I would have asked if I had enough time to run out and deliver the first order while they get the second ready.
If this happens again I def recommend this. At the end of the day it's your rating on the line so it wouldn't hurt to be proactive.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The error occurred when he arrived at the second restaurant and the food wasn't ready. They likely gave him an ETA at that point, but even if they didn't, he had warm food in the car that needed to be delivered. He should have left the restaurant immediately, completed the first delivery, then circled back to the restaurant to pick up the second delivery.

Yes, lots of extra driving that could have been prevented if the restaurant had provided an accurate estimate to DoorDash. It sucks that OP has to manage scenarios like this. That's the job, though. That's why some drivers have perfect 5-star averages. They know how to handle shit.

A lot of extra driving, and without the foresight that the second stop was going to take ~45 minutes, would have had to just accept that the order was going to be late and food cold for that second customer, anyway.

To me, it seems like a situation where the OP admittedly failed to maximize their time (should probably have prioritized the $90 order and bounced after sitting around in the restaurant for a bit), but 1) nothing about how DoorDash is structured incentivizes doing that outside of a potential bad review, 2) you would hope DoorDash's multitask systems are set up to minimize the potential of something like this happening, as their employees very much have to rely on them, and 3) in the end, the OP's failure is basically understandable whereas the whole DoorDash situation seems kind of fucked.

Yes, there are people who thrive in those kind of situations. That's always been the case, and the existence of those people doesn't shift the burden of improvement from employer to employee, at least from a "the world would be a better place if..." angle.

Oct 28, 2018
Scapegoating the front facing employee making minimum wage rather than the corporation putting their employees in this position is capitalism at its worst. So infuriating to see employees forced to take the brunt of abuse when it's really the higher ups and corporate decision making that's at fault.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would be frustrated in the customer's position as well, no doubt, but would the people advocating the bad review endanger the livelihood of another human being by giving them a one star rating over what is (if you believe this is all OP's fault) at most a moment of bad decision making motivated by trying to get to minimum wage? Even while knowing these companies exploit their workers and pay very little? It just seems so callous, am I completely off base?

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem was with you imo. You could have picked up the second order after you dropped off $90 worth of food.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I would be frustrated in the customer's position as well, no doubt, but would the people advocating the bad review endanger the livelihood of another human being by giving them a one star rating over what is (if you believe this is all OP's fault) at most a moment of bad decision making motivated by trying to get to minimum wage? Even while knowing these companies exploit their workers and pay very little? It just seems so callous, am I completely off base?

Capitalism teaches you to punish poor people for being poor

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Scapegoating the front facing employee making minimum wage rather than the corporation putting their employees in this position is capitalism at its worst. So infuriating to see employees forced to take the brunt of abuse when it's really the higher ups and corporate decision making that's at fault.

As the responses in this thread demonstrate, it's especially easy to do that when you can so easily empathize with the customer who's pissed that their nearly $100 order arrived cold and 45 minutes late.

The part where people are falling short is in not extending that empathy to the OP, who had to sort through a series of less than ideal options in an effort to make minimum wage.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You're lucky it didn't happen before. People treat customer service like subhuman filth. People want to punch down and customer service is a favorite target.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of extra driving, and without the foresight that the second stop was going to take ~45 minutes, would have had to just accept that the order was going to be late and food cold for that second customer, anyway.

To me, it seems like a situation where the OP admittedly failed to maximize their time (should probably have prioritized the $90 order and bounced after sitting around in the restaurant for a bit), but 1) nothing about how DoorDash is structured incentivizes doing that outside of a potential bad review, 2) you would hope DoorDash's multitask systems are set up to minimize the potential of something like this happening, as their employees very much have to rely on them, and 3) in the end, the OP's failure is basically understandable whereas the whole DoorDash situation seems kind of fucked.

Yes, there are people who thrive in those kind of situations. That's always been the case, and the existence of those people doesn't shift the burden of improvement from employer to employee, at least from a "the world would be a better place if..." angle.
If you expect for your employer to take care of you, you're gonna have a bad time. True for every job, but especially true for jobs like this one.

If my food arrives 45 minutes late and cold, I am leaving a bad review. What other response do I have as a customer?

Obviously actual emergency situations pop up. DoorDash must surely have a method for drivers to call customers and inform them of flat tires or whatever. I would hope there is an appeals process or something for drivers to get those ratings cleared if a customer actually rates them 1-star in those scenarios. At the end of the day though, the bad review is the only response I have as a customer. DoorDash already got my money. All I can do is leave a bad review for bad service.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Reading and you say it wasn't your responsibility to grab the 2nd order.

Sucks to say it but her order was 45 minutes late BECAUSE you took that 2nd order and then sat around waiting for it.

This is on you. You made your 1st customer wait on your 2nd customer. That's not cool.

Yes it's the difference between this pay or that pay but her order ended the way it did entirely due to your own choice.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
She doesn't differentiate between you and your company. Nor should she. Her order was fucked up. Take the L and move on.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I do door dash too, I have like a bunch of deliveries and usually people are really pleasant. Sometimes people act so fucking dumb, like if you don't tip and your food gets to you late, tip better I'll make your food a priority. You go to chipotle and the rack is filled with orders that don't get picked up because the wage is too low.

some dude tipped $11 yesterday for steaks and pasta and he got his stuff with the quickness.

Lol that sounds so American.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If my food arrives 45 minutes late and cold, I am leaving a bad review. What other response do I have as a customer?
You leaving a bad review does not make your food not late, and you can't even be sure it will help other customers in the future as the circumstances could very well be a one-off. You have the option of talking to the driver and asking human to human what happened, if you are then given a really shitty attitude or if the person seems like they stopped off at the bar, I think a one star would be reasonable.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That's super shitty and why the gig economy is a bunch of fucking bullshit.

She's not wrong to be pissed since that shit ain't cheap but it's also understandable why you're trying to get as much done as you can. That's the entire point of it.

Not much I can say except that you guys should get paid better so you don't have to make those kind of decisions.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

Stop using DoorDash.

Rating this one driver down might satisfy your personal frustration, but if the reason the driver failed is systemic rather than personal, which it almost certainly is (again, you never actually know what happened), your one star review literally changes nothing. DoorDash is not going to look at that and rethink their delivery algorithm, they're going to fire the driver. (Maybe. If the ratings are consistently poor. I don't want to freak out OP here.)

I would hope there is an appeals process or something for drivers to get those ratings cleared if a customer actually rates them 1-star in those scenarios.

This is an example of how people imagine ways in which the systems they interact with could be fair because they don't want to think about the reality that they aren't designed to be fair at all.

At the end of the day though, the bad review is the only response I have as a customer. DoorDash already got my money. All I can do is leave a bad review for bad service.

You're leaving the review WITH DOORDASH. What do you imagine it's going to do?

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
You already accepted it was a loss making delivery before accepting the second order, maybe you should have rejected it then.

but I can see the distance and figure out how long it will take me to do the job before i accept it. I figured I could do this job and then hopefully get another one after to hit minimum wage for the hour. When given an add on it is a guarantee you will make more for the hour. Why would I not take a guarantee at more money when everything I'm shown on the app says it'll work out?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You leaving a bad review does not make your food not late, and you can't even be sure it will help other customers in the future as the circumstances could very well be a one-off. You have the option of talking to the driver and asking human to human what happened, if you are then given a really shitty attitude or if the person seems like they stopped off at the bar, I think a one star would be reasonable.
Why should any of that be my responsibility as a customer?

I would of course ask why the food is late, because I'd be annoyed that my food was late. If I hear that the food was late because the delivery person took another order and waited at a restaurant for 45 minutes, they're still getting 1 star. They're lucky I can't give them 0.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Reading and you say it wasn't your responsibility to grab the 2nd order.

Sucks to say it but her order was 45 minutes late BECAUSE you took that 2nd order and then sat around waiting for it.

This is on you. You made your 1st customer wait on your 2nd customer. That's not cool.

Yes it's the difference between this pay or that pay but her order ended the way it did entirely due to your own choice.

You don't make a livable wage doing these jobs unless you multitask. DoorDash is specifically tailored for multitasking, including having a system that looks at your current route and pops up additional orders that should be convenient to it.

Saying "but you CHOSE to take that 2nd order" rings pretty hollow when, like, that's literally built into the job. Your criticism needs to be much more specific than that.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Why should any of that be my responsibility as a customer?

I mean, hypothetically, as a human being, you might consider having compassion for other human beings, especially those who clearly have less money than you and are just trying to get by. God's grace is all that separates the delivery customer and the delivery driver.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

If someone delivered my food 45 minutes late and they said it was because an order that came after mine caused the hold up then they are getting a poor review.

It can 100% help other customers if people are getting poor reviews because they aren't prioritizing their customer properly.

OP absolutely deserves a bad rating. They took another order AFTER they already picked up the 1st customers food and then proceeded to let it cool off in the car for over a half hour.

I wouldn't want OP picking up my order.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the woman had tipped better, would you have bypassed the second order? I am just curious. I always tip really generously on these services as I know it sucks.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You don't make a livable wage doing these jobs unless you multitask. DoorDash is specifically tailored for multitasking, including having a system that looks at your current route and pops up additional orders that should be convenient to it.

Saying "but you CHOSE to take that 2nd order" rings pretty hollow when, like, that's literally built into the job. Your criticism needs to be much more specific than that.

Isnt hollow at all if I spent $90 on food and it showed up cold because someone AFTER me took priority.

Sorry if you don't like it.

You say my words are hollow but your words don't seem to care at all for the person making the order. That's the entire point of customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.