Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because to be fair, her assessment of skating as more of a hobby than a realistic career technically seems to have been right on the money.

As the song exclaims, he eventually found fame, but through shredding his guitar rather than shredding some concrete. So, really, it's kind of unfair to criticize her for being picky in her marriage prospects when the Sk8er Boi ended up becoming a Gu3ar Boi.

Also this song still SLAPS.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think she wasn't wrong. She did what she had to do back then. I fucking love that song. Its deep you know.

"Sorry girl but you missed out
well tough love that boys mine now
we are more than just good friends,
this is how the story ends.
To bad that she couldn't see
see the man that boy could be
there is more than meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside"

I have never forgotten those lyrics.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Because to be fair, her assessment of skating as more of a hobby than a realistic career technically seems to have been right on the money.

As the song exclaims, he eventually found fame, but through shredding his guitar rather than shredding some concrete. So, really, it's kind of unfair to criticize her for being picky in her marriage prospects when the Sk8er Boi ended up becoming a Gu3ar Boi.

Also this song still SLAPS.

Isn't the problem though that "he wasn't good enough for her" and the skating was just a way to come to that conclusion?

An analysis that was wrong because just because he liked skating doesn't mean he wasn't good at other things, which made him rich and famous.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think she wasn't wrong. She did what she had to do back then. I fucking love that song. Its deep you know.

I instinctually started tapping my screen, hoping beyond hope that I wouldn't damage my touchscreen with the crummy stilts Nintendo supplied....

*Rocks back and forth humming "ready steady go"*

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure the OP understood the song?

I mean, it wasn't like she turned him down because she thought skating was a poor career choice...hell, it wasn't even his career choice. Ballet girl blew him off because she thought she was better than him, because, to her, skaters were just losers.

Skater boi was a cool dude, but she was all 'get lost' and now her friends are all 'hey, he's such a cool dude' and she's all 'I fucked up'.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Ballet Girl ended up being a lesbian and Sk8er Boy ended up being Chad Kroeger. Ballet Girl won.
No I will not be taking any questions.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but she was judgmental. She told him that she doesn't like his girlfriend, and that she think he needs a new one, suggesting that she could be it.

On top of that, she was suggesting that he already liked her, and tbh it's a bit presumptuous, even if it wasn't a secret.

It's nice that she really likes him, and thinks that he's delicious and addictive, and it's good she's confident, knows how she's precious and knows she's a princess, but I feel like that labels her as the problem.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, she allowed her friends' superficial judgements to dictate her life. Turns out they were fickle and changed their tune down the line once he got to where he wanted to be, effectively screwing her over for no reason

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

hdzOWK.gif

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Also Sk8er Boy is a weird obsessive creep who performs songs about a girl who turned him down in high school and it's like... sis you're a grown man, not only are"Look at me I'm famous now" songs super lame and embarrassing for everyone involved (cc Panic! at the Disco and Imagine Dragons), but it's super weird to be hung up on someone from high school.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Not sure the OP understood the song?

I mean, it wasn't like she turned him down because she thought skating was a poor career choice...hell, it wasn't even his career choice. Ballet girl blew him off because she thought she was better than him, because, to her, skaters were just losers.

Skater boi was a cool dude, but she was all 'get lost' and now her friends are all 'hey, he's such a cool dude' and she's all 'I fucked up'.

It also implies she had a bad taste in men because she ended up with a kid all alone, which IMO is a bit cruel to single parents but it's whats in the song.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That song is those incels cómics about a nerd being rejected by a girl in the past and in the preset he is tall, wearing a suit and rejecting the same woman who now has a kid.

Actually, I think the woman from sk8ter boi is a single mom too.

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Also Sk8er Boy is a weird obsessive creep who performs songs about a girl who turned him down in high school and it's like... sis you're a grown man, not only are"Look at me I'm famous now" songs super lame and embarrassing for everyone involved (cc Panic! at the Disco and Imagine Dragons), but it's super weird to be hung up on someone from high school.
Is it though? From what I've seen, it's very common for people to be hung up on first loves.

In fact, I'll say it makes sense. The first person you had a relationship with / crushed on really hard is a formative experience that shapes the trajectory of all your future relationships. Right or wrong, good or bad, it does affect people down the track, especially people in their late teens to early twenties who haven't lived long as grown-ass adults and aren't far enough removed from high school that these experiences don't feel fresh.

Now, if Sk8r Boi was in his thirties, balding and holding down a steady job while still obsessing over a high school crush, that'd be sad.

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, Ballet Girl did what she had to do at the time.

Not only does she have the right to reject a suitor for any reason at all, she was a teenager looking for a HS BF, not a grown woman searching for a husband. Realistically any relationship she got into would fizzle out when HS finished, so even if they had gotten together at 18, there's very little chance that they'd still be together at 23, especially at the beginning of his music career when he was on the road a lot and not making a lot of money.

It's messed up that she let her friends dictate her dating choices based on his dire fashion choices, of course. Mind you if he was running around in JNCO jeans or something, that was his own damn fault.

Last edited:

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018

Bold for emphasis, as it's the perfect argument for why ballet girl was wrong.

If you approach it relationships from her perspective, you are doing it wrong.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Bold for emphasis, as it's the perfect argument for why ballet girl was wrong.

If you approach it relationships from her perspective, you are doing it wrong.

a counterpoint: the narrator doesn't ever talk about sk8er boy's actual soul or personality or anything that makes him desirable beyond the fact that he becomes a rich and famous rockstar. that bridge even seems to indicate the narrator herself considers him being a punk and having baggy clothes less desirable qualities that she sees beyond to see his true value (his net worth).

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading, years ago, that this was going to be adapted into a movie. I'm pissed it never happened.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Even if he hadn't found fame she made the wrong choice. She ended up with a kid and fickle friends. He built resilience, and the sort that would lead to a great career eventually anyway. As evidenced as no other than Rodney Mullen, below.

Rodney Mullen - Pop an Ollie and Innovate (TED Talk)

Still dig that song. Avril has some legit bangers that I still listen to quite a bit.
Who's to say that Sk8r Boi wouldn't have knocked up Ballet Girl and ended up working at his uncle's used car yard? I feel
a counterpoint: the narrator doesn't ever talk about sk8er boy's actual soul or personality or anything that makes him desirable beyond the fact that he becomes a rich and famous rockstar. that bridge even seems to indicate the narrator herself considers him being a punk and having baggy clothes less desirable qualities that she sees beyond to see his true value (his net worth).
Not to mention the fact that people get into relationships based on who someone is at the moment - not their potential. What sort of nonsense is that?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Not only does she have the right to reject a suitor for any reason at all
Of course she has the right to reject him. That doesn't mean her decision couldn't have been a mistake. Goodness knows I've made plenty of mistakes that were well within my rights to make.

Ultimately, according to the song she made her decision based on her friends' opinions and prejudice, not her own judgment. She secretly wanted the sk8er boi, but chickened out. Obviously we're working off incomplete information, and one could contrive a situation where high school popularity and reputation were more important than self-discovery and actualization at that age, but in general I feel like it's a prime time to take chances and meet interesting people, rather than keep your head down for fear of becoming unpopular.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Sk8er Bois seem cool and sexy in high school but then they turn into trashy adults who smoke and drink too much so... she dodged a bullet there, even if he had a one hit wonder.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, she seems just as superficial. The other girl was snobby and superficial as a teenager. The narrator is an adult writing a song with her boyfriend that's dunking on a girl who isn't famous like them just because she was a snob as a teenager. Meanwhile the other girl seems to be over it and supportive enough to buy tickets to support this guy she used to know, which might not be easy to arrange if she has a young child that's she's constantly alone with.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Of course she has the right to reject him. That doesn't mean her decision couldn't have been a mistake. Goodness knows I've made plenty of mistakes that were well within my rights to make.

Ultimately, according to the song she made her decision based on her friends' opinions and prejudice, not her own judgment. She secretly wanted the sk8er boi, but chickened out. Obviously we're working off incomplete information, and one could contrive a situation where high school popularity and reputation were more important than self-discovery and actualization at that age, but in general I feel like it's a prime time to take chances and meet interesting people, rather than keep your head down for fear of becoming unpopular.
You're right and I agree with you that it might have been a mistake to judge him so quickly, but realistically, what information did she have to go on? His primary identity was as a skater, not a musician and it wasn't skating that he eventually made his living from.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
She fell for peer pressure and turned down someone that loved her because of it. And then her peers turned out to like him when he became rich.

Sep 14, 2019
Is it though? From what I've seen, it's very common for people to be hung up on first loves.

In fact, I'll say it makes sense. The first person you had a relationship with / crushed on really hard is a formative experience that shapes the trajectory of all your future relationships. Right or wrong, good or bad, it does affect people down the track, especially people in their late teens to early twenties who haven't lived long as grown-ass adults and aren't far enough removed from high school that these experiences don't feel fresh.

Hmm... I guess that explains my shitty love live and cynical views on romance.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Tbf the boys that do balet have amazing bodies not hidden by baggy clothes. I think that's a metaphor for the skater and most teenage boys actually hiding the soul inside, she never saw his musical poetical side. It was only five years later he learned his lesson and opened up to the new girl.

Plus she could have toured the world with a more compatible balet boy if getting pregnant didn't end her career.

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, dude dodged a bullet. Can't choose who you fall in love with. And it seems like his new gold digging girlfriend is more hung up with this old crush than skater boy himself...so who knows,
Then again, this is a song for US High school kids... It's really not that deep.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I never really liked the lyrics to this one, and being prompted to think about it, I know why.

It's a song from the perspective of an insecure, jealous girl, whose reliability as a narrator is unknown. She saw this guy wanting another girl in high school and him being rejected by her for whatever reason, while narrator girl was passed over. Any motivations she assigns are pure projection, or possibly, his opinions, because we don't know if she ever knew ballet girl and may be basing everything on her boyfriend's opinion. Oh yeah, he says, she totally rejected me because she's a bitch, not because of anything wrong with me! Considering they are both creepy and petty enough to be writing a song about someone in high school, I give them no benefit of doubt.

Then there's the real nasty part. Five years later--so, what, they are at most 23 now?--ballet girl is a mother. So there was someone else she liked and clearly got involved with besides skater boy. This is used dismissively as some kind of contemptible fate; also "she's alone" because she's the stay at home taking care of a child, or she was abandoned, possibly (shit, maybe the father died). By comparison, because they are rich and famous, they "win". That's quite a horrid judgement, displaying an awful mentality. Again, they assume they know everything ballet girl wants and thinks.

That's the final point. Narrator girl claims she's better because she could see the "soul inside" beneath the rough exterior. OK, nice message, and assuming the narrator is right about ballet girl's inner feelings and her friends, which we don't know, maybe don't let your bitchy friends dissuade you from following your heart. But what's the sole criterion showing he is a good soul? That he's rich and famous now. In reality, that means nothing about how good or bad you are; it's basically irrelevant. But if you are going to generalise on that quality, it would far more likely mean you're a piece of shit.

So the end message is the old nasty, ubiquitous one that being rich and famous is all that matters, makes you a good person, and means you win, so you can rub it in the faces of anyone who didn't do what you wanted. You'll regret not dating someone who later becomes rich and famous because you missed out on the wealth and fame!

Fuck off.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't she turn him down because her friends didn't like him?

You shouldn't give in to peer pressure.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Also, given that the song is probably about the dude from Sum 41 things didn't work out for them either