• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not having provided him the weapons would have prevented him from invading.
Saying that an invasion would be tantamount to a war with the US would have prevented him from invading.
Telling to fucking leave would have forced him to leave, especially if there's a way for him to save face.
Yeah, but the cat was outta bag with the weapons. You can't Monday morning quarterback everything. But working with the event as is, the invasion, how would death with that?

Also, didn't the US tell Saddam to leave? Why do you think the UN was in such lockstep?

That said I'm anti sanctions—they only hurt civilians. And I do think the response was excessive.

May 26, 2018
AFAIK the US hasn't had a war it actually belonged in since World War 2. Someone can enlighten me on something else, but that feels like the last time. Since then it's been nonstop domination from the war economy.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but the cat was outta bag with the weapons. You can't Monday morning quarterback everything. But working with the event as is, the invasion, how would death with that?

Also, didn't the US tell Saddam to leave? Why do you think the UN was in such lockstep?

That said I'm anti sanctions—they only hurt civilians. And I do think the response was excessive.
The US told Saddam to leave and he was pretty much ready to leave, but the problem is that at the same time Republicans were running bullshit propaganda campaign telling that Iraqi soldiers are murdering babies in hospitals and we just can't wait we need to bomb them now, can't do diplomacy.

But even if you think we couldn't wait, once the US started bombing them the Iraqi military just hightailed the fuck out of Kuwait, we could have stopped the war then and there, most of the soldiers we killed were retreating.

And there was absolutely no justification for bombing their civilian infrastructure, that was just a series of war crimes Bush did for bad reasons.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A number of people here have said they think the war was justified but our actions ended up going too far.

At what point do you stop thinking there is a "right" way to justifiably go to war without the immense negative after effects? Do we have any evidence that the United States is capable of this?

A similar narrative appears with Afghanistan. "It should have been only special ops, in and out--our problem is all the stuff we did AFTER the invasion". Like do we have any evidence that the US fast tracking an invasion and exit A) is possible and B) is possible without immense negative repercussions to civilians and the country infrastructure?

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Not having provided him the weapons would have prevented him from invading.
Saying that an invasion would be tantamount to a war with the US would have prevented him from invading.
Telling to fucking leave would have forced him to leave, especially if there's a way for him to save face.

The vast majority of the Iraqi military was equipped with weapons from the USSR, China, and France with most of those delivered during the Iraq-Iran conflict.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it's not the "defending kuwaits sovereignty" angle that is problematic to me. it's stuff like the highway of death and destruction of the state's infrastructure

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The US was scared shitless of Iran rolling over Iraq. We/Reagan straight up didn't care if Iraq was using chemical weapons (it was) against Iran, so long as Iran was losing.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Kuwait was engaging in slant oil drilling. Still, doesn't justify an all out invasion.

So, I'll say that the U.S. was justified in defending Kuwait who asked for assistance. As for the conduct during the war and sanctions after, that's a different story.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Kuwait was engaging in slant oil drilling. Still, doesn't justify an all out invasion.
I think this is the part that everybody forget about.
And my point not that Iraq was justified in reacting to that with an act of war, they obviously weren't, but that this is not conflict that sprung out of thin air, it was going on for a while and if America showed interest in solving it before bullets started flying I think there is a very good chance this whole thing could have been avoided.

But instead -

Stn5lf9.png

I think there is a fairly convincing evidence that Saddam thought America would be mostly okay with invading Kuwait, I don't want to speculate too much on what would have happened if America made if crystal clear to him that war would be unacceptable, I just wish to see the US pursue diplomacy as hard as we pursue war. You can always do the war thing if diplomacy doesn't work anyway.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
To this day I still believe the first invasion of Iraq had been not only hotly anticipated by Pentagon goons but was very much anticipated to see if Saddam would do something stupid. They may not have expected him to have done what he did, but it was enough. The U.S. is largely responsible for coddling and winking as Saddam became more of a monster, they let him attack Iran after all.

The goal was to establish a military foothold in the Middle East for the U.S. At that time there were also major military expenditure cut backs and their 'foe' the Soviet Union was going kaput. An Empire needs enemies to keep the facade going.

Bush Sr. and his evil cohort also pushed the fake incubator bit, which people cried "conspiracy theory" until it was actually found out to be a big fabrication. And that's all I have to say on the matter.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think the central problem is that the United Nations as a protective force is entirely unfit for the job. Dictators and autocrats with ambition seldom listen to sanctions and strongly-voiced protest votes in the UN chambers, and even worse these countries are often in positions within the UN to block votes. It is a weak organization, often purposefully so.

I often agree with the criticisms of American foreign policy, and yet I also see the need for coalitions to protect countries or citizens that can't defend themselves from slaughter. I would rather that not be a country or countries "going it alone", but until we can have an international organization that can truly keep the peace, I don't know what alternative there is.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least we're all in agreement that WWII was justified, right? And that we should have joined our Allies in it before Pearl Harbor, right?

Oh man.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Those games aren't literally named "Warhawk". I think you missed the joke.

I didn't miss it at all...
trying to use my video game inspired avatar as a critique against my argument is ridiculous regardless of the game or title. You think it was a joke, I'm quite sure the poster didn't. Notice a few others calling him out for it?

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
At least we're all in agreement that WWII was justified, right? And that we should have joined our Allies in it before Pearl Harbor, right?

Oh man.

Most of us...

Apparently for some posters even those wars were immoral for nations to join to fight against the Axis. Should've just allowed Germany, Italy, and Japan to do their thing.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
was Saddam Hussein an awful human being and his regime brutal? yes, was the war anything to do with those reasons? No.
I would say the actual reasoning for the war and loss of life was not justified

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the part that everybody forget about.
And my point not that Iraq was justified in reacting to that with an act of war, they obviously weren't, but that this is not conflict that sprung out of thin air, it was going on for a while and if America showed interest in solving it before bullets started flying I think there is a very good chance this whole thing could have been avoided.

But instead -

Stn5lf9.png

I think there is a fairly convincing evidence that Saddam thought America would be mostly okay with invading Kuwait, I don't want to speculate too much on what would have happened if America made if crystal clear to him that war would be unacceptable, I just wish to see the US pursue diplomacy as hard as we pursue war. You can always do the war thing if diplomacy doesn't work anyway.

Geez, didn't even know about those cables. You could see how Saddam thought invading Kuwait was a-okay with the U.S.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Because America didn't defend Crimea in 2014, that makes the Gulf War in 1990 unjustifiable? Does it not make sense that since different countries were involved and different people that the responses would also be completely different?

Neither would Iraq or anyone else in the region to be fair. Iraq wouldn't have invaded Kuwait if it wasn't a rich oil nation.
My point is that USA is not world police who gets to decide which country it wants to make follow international laws and which it doesn't. If you're going to apply an action to Iraq, go apply it to other countries. Otherwise the resentment in the region keeps growing and rightly so.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
My point is that USA is not world police who gets to decide which country it wants to make follow international laws and which it doesn't. If you're going to apply an action to Iraq, go apply it to other countries. Otherwise the resentment in the region keeps growing and rightly so.
If the United States could have stopped Russia from taking Ukraine without risking nuclear war they would have. The possible death of everyone on the planet is a large factor in determing the use of force.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If the United States could have stopped Russia from taking Ukraine without risking nuclear war they would have. The possible death of everyone on the planet is a large factor in determing the use of force.
This just makes the case for Saddam to pursue nukes then, so everyone would triple think of butting heads. I understand though. Saddam was completely wrong to invade Kuwait even if he had reasons related to Kuwait stealing his oil or otherwise. I just feel disgusted supporting the military industrial complex' adventures in the middle east, good intentions or otherwise.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
This just makes the case for Saddam to pursue nukes then, so everyone would triple think of butting heads. I understand though. Saddam was completely wrong to invade Kuwait even if he had reasons related to Kuwait stealing his oil or otherwise. I just feel disgusted supporting the military industrial complex' adventures in the middle east, good intentions or otherwise.
If you're a nation-state not aligned with either China, US, or France, the best realpolitik move is to pursue nuclear weapons. My pessimistic take is that as the technology for laser centrifuges(anyone building a traditional centrifuge will be easily observed and either invaded or Stuxnetted) becomes more attainable we'll see a dangerous increase in nuclear proliferation, leading to nuclear war in the global South in the next 30 years.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't miss it at all...
trying to use my video game inspired avatar as a critique against my argument is ridiculous regardless of the game or title. You think it was a joke, I'm quite sure the poster didn't. Notice a few others calling him out for it?

Please respect people's pronouns.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I appreciate it. It's definitely something new for me. Definitely not something i do on purpose.

Oh, you weren't upsetting me. Like I said, all I wanted to do was make sure you were aware. I can't really judge a persons character because I could not tell if it was a mistake, which you cleared up.

Now we can get back on topic. Well y'all can, I'm just lurking how people feel about this topic lol.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why the focus on cruelty towards the Iraq when it was the aggressor country in the situation. An aggressive war to seize oil and avoid repaying a loan to Kuwait from the Iran-Iraq War which it was also the aggressor in. Iraq basically played its hand to become the dominant power in the region with invasion and the war with Iran and lost. It's foolish to not expect other nations to take an interest with such a valuable resource being seized by a hostile nation.

Because the cruelty is being directed not at the aggressors, but at people who were already suffering. Their suffering is not justified.

Oct 28, 2017
Most of us...

Apparently for some posters even those wars were immoral for nations to join to fight against the Axis. Should've just allowed Germany, Italy, and Japan to do their thing.
Some posters here are Arab leftists, who have been on the receiving end of US/western powers meddling which includes using the likes of saddam against their predecessors.
Likening them to nazi appeasers is the most simplistic of takes.

Warhawk4Ever

Banned
Jun 23, 2021
Some posters here are Arab leftists, who have been on the receiving end of US/western powers meddling which includes using the likes of saddam against their predecessors.
Likening them to nazi appeasers is the most simplistic of takes.

Where did I specify the US? Where did I refer to folks commenting about Iraq and Kuwait? Please, quote me.

If you have read my posts in this thread, the vast majority were in response to the idea war is always wrong and killing is never justified.

Oct 28, 2017
Where did I specify the US? Where did I refer to folks commenting about Iraq and Kuwait? Please, quote me.

If you have read my posts in this thread, the vast majority were in response to the idea war is always wrong and killing is never justified.
And on that we agree, armed fight against fascism is justified. And guess what that's what imperialist policy is. Fascism. Be it from saddam or from Reagan or from mitterand or from brezhnev

May 21, 2018
War and killing are never justified. All of it is a pointless farce, a competition over resources or ideology that is completely unnecessary. A path to sharing, cooperation and mutual benefit always exists and it's a tragedy humans are so unwilling to take it.

Because human nature is what it is, war and killing are often necessary to prevent further suffering. At least some level of violence or threat of violence is needed to keep people in check in all levels of society. Why else would we need laws and the implicit threat of force and violence behind them?

So war, killing, all violence is unjustified, but too often necessary.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
And on that we agree, armed fight against fascism is justified. And guess what that's what imperialist policy is. Fascism. Be it from saddam or from Reagan or from mitterand or from brezhnev
I'm really not fond of Mitterrand but in this case, he was presented with some shots about the situation and didn't really have the time or the means to go any other way than be part of the coalition.
This incident is actually why the French pushed for the Arianne project to be able to send shit to space when he was more than ready to cut some fundings on his side.

It's also part of the reason why France wasn't part of the 2nd invasion.
And unlike what US propaganda would make you believe, it wasn't out of love of Hussein or anything.
When a dictator is too inconvenient, the diplomacy is more than willing to let the situation turn Lybian as they would say now.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not fond of Mitterrand but in this case, he was presented with some shots about the situation and didn't really have the time or the means to go any other way than be part of the coalition.
This incident is actually why the French pushed for the Arianne project to be able to send shit to space when he was more than ready to cut some fundings on his side.

It's also part of the reason why France wasn't part of the 2nd invasion.
And unlike what US propaganda would make you believe, it wasn't out of love of Hussein or anything.
When a dictator is too inconvenient, the diplomacy is more than willing to let the situation turn Lybian as they would say now.
Mitterand has his own crimes in Africa to answer for.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
War is a last resort. Saddam seemed to want to avoid it. He asked US for their opinion before invasion. Then kept hostages to prevent one, letting them go after talking to Muhammed Ali.

The highway of death and the false testimony are what stick with me.