Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
we all know the famous song from avril. she was cute, she wore that tie which was cool as fuck and you just wish your slightly older and more developed cousin would rock as well. but there is a lot of inconsistencies within the song. the lyrics "he was a boi .... he was a punk". so was he a punk? but she goes further: "all of her friends stuck up their nose, because they had a problem with his baggy clothes".

this is just not how reality worked, punk kids were not about baggy pants. the common attire has and will be tight clothes. now for the real dilemma of the song, the song title presents an even bigger, maybe even a puzzle. was he a skater boi? Or was he a punk? the information is given "she turns on TV, guess who she sees: sk8er boy rockin' up mtv" so we know he already got a music career going (the only sense of time, sort of chronological timeline we get is that it's explained she five years from now watched; explaining the time she witnessed his mtv appearance) do despite this he already has a career going, that leads him to have a spot on national and international tv.

i've come to the conclussion that he was a musican and not a sk8er. never is it mentioned how good he can do a kickflip or anything else related to sk8ing. actually, we don't even know if he was skateboarding. he could easily have been rollerskater or even an ice skater. this is just unexplained. this leaves us wit a lot of questions and none conclusive lyrics. some would find this frustrating but i have found it quite pleasurable to find the true meaning behind the song. in the end of the song she says "now i am with the sk8er boy" but it's very hard not to assume that would be after his mtv career, so why does she refer to him as the sk8er boy? should she not instead be focusing on his clear musical talent, and the career he has made for himself?

despite all of this, i do love the song. there is so many questions and hidden subliminal messages hidden. 10/10 would listen to again. embedded for easy listen:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was an era where so-called 'punks' did wear baggy clothes in the so-cal scene and all that in the late nineties/early 2000s

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Skaters didnt actually skateboard when I went to school. They had baggy jeans with oversized keychains. They were the opposite of preps.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He was Skate Punk. Tight clothes aren't a prerequisite.

Look OP, all that matters is that the taxi driver got the pregnant woman to the hospital in time.

Last edited:

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Basically she was into this "alternative" dude who liked skating, Nirvana, checked shirts, Metallica, Offspring and maybe The Clash, Vans shoes and curtain hairstyles. Its all the same anti establishment, anti conformist highschool bullshit that was popular in the late 90s.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
OP, popular style for the skater punk aesthetic hasn't always been tight fitting clothes. So that's basically your whole argument out the window.

edit - insert Splatoon Squid/Kid joke here

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
He was a Boi... worn baggy cloths... She looked and thought "He looks like a punk"
He had a board... he used it to skate... what more can I say.
He played guitar... played it quite well... and secretly he was dreaming as well..

Or something like that

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
OP, popular style for the skater punk aesthetic hasn't always been tight fitting clothes. So that's basically your whole argument out the window.

edit - insert Splatoon Squid/Kid joke here
I'd have to agree with OP here. As a former sk8er boy, baggy clothes would have been too cumbersome to do sick kick flips.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of the lyrical consistency, it's a pretty elite beat.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
"or even an ice skater."

C'mon OP, you forgetting she's Canadian? They're called hockey players, nothing else.

Do some damn research before you present your thesis.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

9c26bf8747f32459240865804bc91959.jpg

Also, with regards to "rockin up MTV"

Maybe he gained fame on MTV in a non-music format, you know ... like Ryan. Or Bam.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell me more about your slightly older more developed cousin.

OP
OP
Milk Lizard

Milk Lizard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TOBYHANNA, Pa
9c26bf8747f32459240865804bc91959.jpg

Also, with regards to "rockin up MTV"

Maybe he gained fame on MTV in a non-music format, you know ... like Ryan. Or Bam.

i know sk8er bois wore baggy pants. but not punk kids. they did not wear baggy pants. this is why it is very confusing when she states he was a punk. there is a clear underlying theme of confusion in the song, as to if he was a punk or sk8er. it's meant to cause somewhat of a small distress to the listener, never being sure what is real and not. not much unlike the off beat drums in that scene in the new annihilation movie with natalie portman. just those drums being off beat, makes you feel uncomfortable in the scene and it's meant for that. i believe the lyrics of sk8er vs punk is doing the same in this song, at least for me.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
All the skaters I grew up with wore loose fitting t-shirts and Dickies, and a lot of them were into punk and pop-punk. I think this is the popular conception of "skate punk".

Actual punks were way more into the crust punk/street punk aesthetic and wore super tight jeans and bullet belts.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i know sk8er bois wore baggy pants. but not punk kids. they did not wear baggy pants. this is why it is very confusing when she states he was a punk. there is a clear underlying theme of confusion in the song, as to if he was a punk or sk8er. it's meant to cause somewhat of a small distress to the listener, never being sure what is real and not. not much unlike the off beat drums in that scene in the new annihilation movie with natalie portman. just those drums being off beat, makes you feel uncomfortable in the scene and it's meant for that. i believe the lyrics of sk8er vs punk is doing the same in this song, at least for me.
unlike being a skater, which i would strongly assume refers to his style, him being a "punk" might just be her implying he had some kind of bad-boy charm about him. People call others 'punk' without necessarily implying that they're part of the actual "punk" scene / subculture. I don't think the same applies to calling someone a "Sk8er".

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Avril Lavigne scholar here: Avril Lavigne is the Sk8er Boi. The song is about popular punk archetypes who are undervalued by their mainstream peers only to find fame and success by embracing their counter-culture personalities. Sk8er Boi is meant to demonstrate the way young punks are treated by others and inspire them to rise above the criticism and misanthropy of their critics.

Sk8er Boi is Avril Lavign's love letter to wayward teens navigating the narrow scope of early-millennium popularity standards and, also, herself.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Punk can be a noun or an adjective, and adjectives can be used as adnouns.

Maybe he was an adnoun punk instead of a noun Punk.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Did OP seriously consider the phrase "look at the other comments in this thread" as a personal insult? Dude is unhinged. I'm out of here.