• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I am high right now.

Serious question though, was Cannabis used during Biblical times? Was it mentioned in the Christian Bible? (Protestant or even Catholic Bibles).

If yes to either of these, what view of Cannabis by the people of the times from different cultures and important individuals in the Holy Land, and other places like Egypt. The Roman Empire, the Jews, the follower of Jesus. Perhaps Jesus himself hinted at it specifically in his travels or in a parable he told.

What is Cannabis's role in the world, good or bad, from various modern Christian perspectives?

These are NOT the questions I should be asking myself now, or posting on ERA, while consuming weed.

But, I'm high so I am.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was used during biblical times, yeah. It's not mentioned directly though, no

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ft5CFVE.gif

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
It was absolutely in use in that area of the world during biblical times. I have no idea if it is ever mentioned in the bible.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Of course OP, we even got photographic evidence of Jesus hiting a bong.
Pot-Smoking-Jesus.png

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Baby girl, this is a Google away...

But Cannabis, a plant native to Central Asia and the Indian Subcontinent, is believed to have been used for millennia for all kinds of uses and reasons.

Suffice it to say, the only recreational substance ever explicitly mentioned is alcohol in the Bible. No parables about weed.

But they would have used hemp commonly in those days. And they, apparently, would have use marijuana oils commonly in those days for religious purposes.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Usually the annointing oils had large amounts of cannabis. Some theorize that it was high enough concentrate to be absorbed through the skin, as it was commonly applied to the forehead.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They don't call it the devil's lettuce for nothin'.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Pretty sure it was used by the Scythians or some sort of horse archer people that are mentioned in the Bible.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting is khat, a more regional substance which was cultivated in the Horn of Africa - known to the ancient Egyptians - and remains a traditional item of choice around the region

So if not kush, khat at least

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Pretty sure it was used by the Scythians or some sort of horse archer people that are mentioned in the Bible.
I am like 99.99% sure that Herodotus mentions them in his Histories. Burning plants inside closed tents and getting all high and talking to their gods.

I only remember this passage vividly because my Ancient Greek teacher talked about it in class back in the day.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Hear me out

Maybe, just maybe...because they enjoyed weed more? You know getting just a tad high but still functional while watching them sheep graze..as opposed to becoming one with the universe and talk to burning bushes all day long. Maybe who knows? Maybe that's why

I smoked weed in the 90s and it just gave me a headache...I can't even imagine 2000 years ago. You can eat a small dose of shrooms and get a very similar effect to weed we have now.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I am high right now.

Serious question though, was Cannabis used during Biblical times? Was it mentioned in the Christian Bible? (Protestant or even Catholic Bibles).

If yes to either of these, what view of Cannabis by the people of the times from different cultures and important individuals in the Holy Land, and other places like Egypt. The Roman Empire, the Jews, the follower of Jesus. Perhaps Jesus himself hinted at it specifically in his travels or in a parable he told.

What is Cannabis's role in the world, good or bad, from various modern Christian perspectives?

These are NOT the questions I should be asking myself now, or posting on ERA, while consuming weed.

But, I'm high so I am.

Isn't that why there's Rastafarianism as a religion?

Aya

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that why there's Rastafarianism as a religion?

No, but that off-shoot of Christianity blends a lot of other religious practices, cultures, and shared histories together. Some Rastas hold the belief that smoking weed is a sacrament.

*Checks Wikipedia*

According to that source, they cite Genesis 1:29, Psalms 18:8, and Revelations 22:2.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Ever heard of the burning bush? Pretty sure that was some strong enough weed to make one imagine talking to God.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It was used in ancient Egyptian times. Referenced in some Egyptian text so there's little doubt it was used in biblical times as well.