• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/02/children-flu-deaths/
AvhxoCIl.jpg
In the shadow of the past year's coronavirus surge came a less noticeable, but more positive infectious-disease trend: Influenza and other common viruses have nearly disappeared.
The flu is circulating at such low levels that officials know of only one child in the United States who has died of it this flu season, a striking deviation from the dozens of pediatric deaths in other recent years.
"I think that that obliteration of the flu epidemic, which was seen globally, tells us that the way that influenza is transmitted from one person to another might really have been impacted by the use of masks, more than anything else," said Flor Munoz, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics' infectious-diseases committee.
Widespread mask-wearing may be particularly helpful because face coverings limit the spread of the droplets that carry influenza, Munoz said.
Adults are also experiencing a dramatic drop in influenza deaths, with about 450 so far this season, compared with roughly 22,000 last year.
But flu infections and deaths could stay low next season if mask-wearing and social distancing remain common, either because of the coronavirus or because people choose to apply the same measures to influenza prevention.
"I think this has clearly shown that masking, distancing, hand-washing — all these things clearly work," said Aaron Milstone, an epidemiologist and professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University. "So I think the question will be, how much appetite do people have for all that to prevent influenza, instead of just covid."

So many needless flu deaths prevented.

Post this COVID-19 pandemic. I do wonder how much public mask wearing will be apart of the new normal, or if everyone will just go back to 2019 behaviors.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish that after the pandemic masks will still be used in public transportation and that people sanitise their hands.
But who am I kidding, here in Europe people will directly stop it when it is over.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You actually think people will keep wearing masks? Zero chance.
I do hope vaccinations will become more of a standard thing for most people.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I feel like most people, even those who recognize its importance, probably don't want to spend the rest of their lives wearing masks. Maybe bust them out during flu season? Either way, some really truly incredible and undisputed data about how much they can protect us.

Dec 2, 2017
I'd have no objections to wearing masks long term when this is over, at least on public transport and in crowded shops and what not, but I think most people will stop as soon as they're permitted.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
In Australia we have mostly eradicated coronavirus, at least from local transmission. Unfortunately the masks are coming off. But there are still some people who wear masks and it's less of an oddity than it used to be

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish that after the pandemic masks will still be used in public transportation and that people sanitise their hands.
But who am I kidding, here in Europe people will directly stop it when it is over.

Maybe not, but I do think it's reasonable to expect that more people will get the flu vaccine for the next few years.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely considering continuing to wear a mask at certain public locations (like the grocery store) indefinitely after I receive my vaccination.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the low spread of flu worldwide shows that most countries do a pretty good job with their counter measures towards covid. I don't even think masks is a big deal here, even if I obviously don't think it's bad. But in Sweden for example barely anybody wears masks and our flu season hasn't happened either. (I wish we had a different policy in regards to masks, would hate to derails the thread with a discussion about that.)

Hopefully worldwide we can move towards actually staying home when we are sick, wash hands regularly and just be more health conscious in general.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Masks aren't going to stay. But I hope that at least people with a cold or flu like symptoms will avoid wear them (or just stay home in stead of going to work anyway because 'it's just a cold')

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Masks probably need to be standard wear for densely populated areas. Or everywhere

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I'd love for this to become normal, but I'm already self conscious about mask use - in a fuckin pandemic.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing stops people who want to wear masks from wearing masks.
That's not how it works. Wearing a mask doesn't single handedly prevent transmission. It's collective action which together brings the reproductive factor low enough so that there is no large flu outbreak affecting children. You are not going to get very small children wearing masks in nurseries.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Masks aren't going to stay. But I hope that at least people with a cold or flu like symptoms will avoid wear them (or just stay home in stead of going to work anyway because 'it's just a cold')

It took a few pandemics to get mask usage to become normal in a lot of Asia, I wonder how many more we're going to have to suffer through in Europe for people to realise why it's so important to mask up if you're ill.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Far too many people are despicable cunts to take incredibly minor actions that would prevent these tragedies from happening though.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
That's not how it works. Wearing a mask doesn't single handedly prevent transmission. It's collective action which together brings the reproductive factor low enough so that there is no large flu outbreak affecting children. You are not going to get very small children wearing masks in nurseries.

Noted. But my point stands. If you're worried about possibly infecting someone with something, wear a mask everytime you're outdoors. No one is stopping you from doing that.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Just basic hygiene would do wonders against the spread of infectious diseases. Some people would rather pretend to wash their hands (literally turning on the tap for a few seconds in public) than do the absolute bare minimum.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I would be more than willing to wear a mask a few months out of the year to help prevent flu deaths. Hopefully it becomes a thing.

I also haven't had any allergies this year. I haven't even had a clogged nostril in weeks, if not months.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm wondering if some businesses will allow people to use masks once this does down.
I think here in the UK the stigma around masks has been worn away, so I don't expect anyone who wants to wear one to receive any critical glances or complaints any time in the near future. Or at least I hope not, because I intend to keep wearing a mask on public transport and in shops for a while. It's been great not getting ill once in the last twelve months.

That's not going to translate into universal or even majority longterm uptake of face coverings, though. Most people (including several that I know) consider them uncomfortable and intrusive, and they're waiting for the day they're no longer forced to wear one. And to be fair I kind of understand that for anyone who wears makeup, because masks really can wreak havoc with that.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I will definitely wear a mask in any place that has a crowd. Specifically when traveling. Airports, airplanes, and probably downtown cities. In asia, its pretty normal anyways.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice at the very least if people who have a whiff of the cold wear masks, that would go a long way.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'll keep wearing masks during flu season.
It just makes sense
Same here, I had actually wanted to do this for a few years now but I was afraid, since it wasn't culturally "normal" (in Europe) but now I won't be ashamed anymore, even after Covid gets under control eventually.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It shows how infectious Covid is compared to the common cold. Despite all the mask wearing, and social distancing (to some extent), it's still passing around all over the world.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
How much does this have to do with mask wearing and how much with social distancing, less social contacts, less mass gatherings and better personal hygiene?

Not doubting mask usage at all, just as a disclaimer before I get bombarded, just curious due to this statement: 'Widespread mask-wearing may be particularly helpful because face coverings limit the spread of the droplets that carry influenza, Munoz said.'

Must be some science that shows mask usage was a bigger factor than the others.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I think that I'll be wearing a mask in crowded public areas and at work moving forward. Not having the sniffles, a cold or the flu this last year has been amazing.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I haven't caught a cold or flu in a year, it's been great. I'm always at risk of getting sick due to using public transit. I would love to see masks and other considerate behavior normalized in the west during cold and flu season going forward.

The way people acted before covid, going about their life when sick and getting everyone around them sick like it's not their problem, can not continue. We must shame these people from now on.

FossilMoth

May 2, 2020
I hope this pandemic helps normalize masks in public going forward, even if most people stop wearing them regularly.

Aug 27, 2018
I was just talking with a few friends about this, I plan on continuing to wear a mask even if the pandemic ends. Though considering states that are far right leaning are already removing their mask mandates I dunno if we're anywhere close to ending the pandemic.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I normally catch at least one bad cold a year. Normally not the flu, I think last time was in 2019.
And last year I didn't catch anything.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going forward I'm always going to wear a mask at work. I work in a non patient facing part of a hospital so it won't really feel awkward doing it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is the first year that I haven't caught a cold or gotten sick. *knock on wood*

So yeah, I'm going to wear a mask from now on.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have a cold, I'll wear a mask if I need to go out. Hopefully more employers will recognise how much better it will be in general if people don't come into work with cold and flu symptoms so there's less need to be in public at that time.

Absolutely fuck wearing them past this year in other circumstances though if COVID can be contained.

How many people saying they haven't had colds have been out in the world much this past year?I've been a key worker in person for a lot of that time, as is my girlfriend, and ive had my usual October and December cold and chest infection🤧

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about masks.
People also complain about overcrowded hospital during flu season.

I think people will be more willing to wear a mask for a limited time like October to March on public transport if they see the benefits.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shows that it works but good luck telling westerners what to do. that's protective attitude is not going to last the second you tell people they dont need masks.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
We saw similar results in Australia last year
responsive_large_webp__K33slCjRtKcGYd8btJX7nFTJdfGD2qM3xXdH4eYIu4.webp

2018 was also the height of dropbear el niño where dropbears were at maximum in the last generation, so most people also stayed home in fear of getting "the drop". Hence the low flu number that year, incidentally it was also followed by the spider storm just before winter where spiders would literally fly using their webs. Really took the fun out of watching kangaroos boxing each other in the streets during autumn.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Zero chance the majority of people continue wearing masks without a mandate and as we we have learned mandates aren't particularly popular.

Edit: This is the equivalent of showing the benefits of a heart healthy diet. Yet few people follow it.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get sick ONCE this winter. Not even a cold. Nor the people who I take care of.

masks are good.

Oct 25, 2017
I still see dumbasses with masks below their noses everywhere so I'm guessing it will mostly be dropped as soon as they're able to, sadly.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Like many others, I didn't catch a cold nor the flu last year. Masks are good.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is ironic that in 2020 since lockdown, I nor my daughter have gotten sick besides allergies. Personally it's been such a relief to have a year without my annual getting super sick for 2 weeks 2-3 times a year. I do worry a bit for my daughters immune system development, but it was nice to not had her be sick every other week when she was going to daycare.