• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Almost heaven, West Virginia. šŸŽµ

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
in my county that is the meth capital of IL, I can confirm people have been doing this for a long time.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Lot of people in this thread making light of the situation. This is terrible and it should make you sad.

I used to travel for work, and spent a lot of time with hospital executives and government in WV. One night, a local mayor was speaking and asked if the room of about 200 people, "who here knows a family member or friend who is an addict?" And almost the entire room raised their hand. He continued, "keep your hand up if one of those people had their shit together just ten years ago." Most the room kept their hands up. "And keep your hand up if you know this family or friend now has a spouse, son, or daughter that grieves for them to break that addiction." And the vast majority kept their hand up.

There was a pause.

He continued, "now keep your hand up if you think they will break their habit or addiction in the next five years." Almost every single hand fell down.

Saddest shit, man. This shit doesn't discriminate white or black, rich or poor - everyone in WV is in a bad place, it seems.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Lot of people in this thread making light of the situation. This is terrible and it should make you sad.

I used to travel for work, and spent a lot of time with hospital executives and government in WV. One night, a local mayor was speaking and asked if the room of about 200 people, "who here knows a family member or friend who is an addict?" And almost the entire room raised their hand. He continued, "keep your hand up if one of those people had their shit together just ten years ago." Most the room kept their hands up. "And keep your hand up if you know this family or friend now has a spouse, son, or daughter that grieves for them to break that addiction." And the vast majority kept their hand up.

There was a pause.

He continued, "now keep your hand up if you think they will break their habit or addiction in the next five years." Almost every single hand fell down.

Saddest shit, man. This shit doesn't discriminate white or black, rich or poor - everyone in WV is in a bad place, it seems.
Ask those same people how they felt when black communities were getting ripped apart because of the war on drugs.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Ask those same people how they felt when black communities were getting ripped apart because of the war on drugs.

Not to belittle that - it's also awful for its own set of reasons - but it doesn't take away from this. Also, 20% ish of those in the room were black so I mean, as doctors and mental health providers I think they still cared.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

There was a pause.

yeah and the people that do get black lung are basically exploited labor too. i'm sure you've heard stories of how people were treated by the mining companies they work(ed) for. lots of them are addicts because of their labor circumstances.

but black lung lol.

how is that fucking funny?

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Hot takes and quips aside, it is not about how depraved a person can be when they are looking for the bottom, but how many people are looking in that direction.

This type of abuse is horrible and we should only feel empathy and a desire to course correct. But as with Aboriginal alcohol abuse, it is easier to pin destructive addictions on those abused and lament their stupidity. Then finger wag as more and more people seek out these destructive acts.

There is something wrong with the fabric of society that these people are exposed to and they obviously feel powerless to actually improve their lot.

Oct 27, 2017
"We have great grand babies, and to think what they're going to grow up in, and what's going to be available to them, and what people are going to get them to tryā€¦ It's really scary," she added.

don't worry lady, they'll be too busy working the caravan between the Bullet Farm and Gas Town to huff any Raid, might want to watch out for chrome spray paint though

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't know what hope there is for rural WV/KY. Coal is going to be obsolete soon, if it isn't practically obsolete already. And drug addition is at an all-time high. What's worse, progressives act like they deserve it for daring to vote for Trump. It's like when Republicans laugh at Detroit for being poor because 'they deserve it for voting Democrat.' Threads like this keep me humble.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

There was a pause.

Drugs have destroyed my own family at times and have had my own problems; I certainly don't want to make fun of any individual but there's some catharsis at times involved in joking about serious issues.

It's all a tragedy either way.