Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
They wanted to hit home that "Nostalgia is toxic". And how it's easy for a White person in America, in particular a White man, can long for the past but hey never think about how it was for Black person, or person of color, or a woman back then or delude themselves in thinking it was better for them.

I don't see why having it come out slowly would preclude that. Have Angela have random flashbacks that incapacitate her at key moments showing nostalgia's detrimental effects (like have one slow her down as she's chasing Lube Man for example), and further have memories pop-up to highlight that disparity you're talking about (some modern day white privilege contrasted with something happening to Will in the past as Angela looks on at both).

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
People also screaming miss something important about Watchmen oG series
It was never simple Cape stuff , on surface level the heroes we first met were but it turns out it was dark and grey as hell
Same should be applied to the old minutemen , past is easily distorted and alot of things happened

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, reading Peteypedia and realized I hadn't read last weeks. This stood out:

Peteypedia said:
The violence is extreme and fetishistic. The filmmaking toggles between frenetic cuts, widescreen framing and zooming close-ups on blood gushes and ripped clothing. At various moments, the sexual assault is shown upside-down and distorted in the lens of "Moloch's Solar Weapon," one of the Minutemen's many trophies. The ironic funhouse mirror presentation speaks to March's larger project of turning "hero" archetypes on their heads and deconstructing them as warped personalities. But by prioritizing his flourishes and metaphors over Jupiter's experience, March diminishes her even more.

That's basically a critique of the original comic scene, which is shown the same way.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I got some Inglorious Basterds vibe. I loved all these personal history stories, Angela on the other hand, I feel I know less well, more like a cipher or audience surrogate.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have been watching the show since it debuted but it never really "gripped" me. I was always more curious as to just wtf was going on the entire time as opposed to being caught in the narrative.

That all changed in episode 4. Holy shit I'm all in on this show. The past two episodes were some the best TV I've watched in quite sometime. Glad I stuck with this.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting the vibe that American Hero Story besides being a little bit of a jab at the Zach Snyder movie, is also kind of a jab at Ryan Murphy's American Crime Story? The actor they had for Hooded Justice is even frequently in his shows.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else getting the vibe that American Hero Story besides being a little bit of a jab at the Zach Snyder movie, is also kind of a jab at Ryan Murphy's American Crime Story? The actor they had for Hooded Justice is even frequently in his shows.

I get people don't like Snyder but not everything is some jab at him. Lindelof has basically stated many times he loves Snyder's Watchmen and part of the reason he didn't want to do the story again is because it's basically already all there. Perhaps another writer is jabbing at Snyder, but I think it's just a sort of riff on how we overdramatize events for movies and such anyway. Details get changed, things maybe get more violent, etc.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

They actually tried to get Murphy on the show but it didn't work out due to schedules. The AHS parallels are intentional.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I get people don't like Snyder but not everything is some jab at him. Lindelof has basically stated many times he loves Snyder's Watchmen and part of the reason he didn't want to do the story again is because it's basically already all there. Perhaps another writer is jabbing at Snyder, but I think it's just a sort of riff on how we overdramatize events for movies and such anyway. Details get changed, things maybe get more violent, etc.
I think it's only a jab in that the violence is gratuitous and played up to be more stylized and badass looking. Like the difference between that and the fight scenes with actual Hooded Justice purposefully feel different. I also think if it is a jab (and I understand it might not be), it's a friendly jab. But maybe we're reading too much in to it and they're just commenting on entertainment's glorification of violence.

Regardless, I'm more interested in the possible jab* at ACS.

* maybe "jab" is the wrong word because I don't think it's mean spirited. Not sure what a better word is though.

EDIT:
They actually tried to get Murphy on the show but it didn't work out due to schedules. The AHS parallels are intentional.
Ah! Cool so I wasn't totally imagining that.

Last edited:

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if the dead hooded justice is somehow captain metropolis dressed up as him. Hope we get some kind of answer to who that was.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
That episode is now my favorite thing attached to the Watchmen franchise. Also a fantastic origin story.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there's any connection to Veidt stealing the psychic's head for the squid in the comic with Metropolis' head never being found. Making Nostalgia from it or something?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's any connection to Veidt stealing the psychic's head for the squid in the comic with Metropolis' head never being found. Making Nostalgia from it or something?
Huh. That is an interesting connection. Perhaps a coincidence?

I hadn't even thought of that, maybe metropolis was a psychic but didn't realize it? And Veidt did and took his head to study it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite moments in this episode is how well the memories of Will's childhood and then-present are blended together in how the cop car passing him is also dragging two bodies from the Tulsa massacre behind it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Love this. Makes them look abit unprofessional as there were

5vhmbhebcu041.jpg

The movie one

Minutemen-watchmen-21034428-2000-1339.jpg

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Love the Superman reference also with the the guy at the paper stand and was talking about how he was saved by his parents just before the planet exploded.
Wich also happened in a similar way with HJ in Tulsa.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why having it come out slowly would preclude that. Have Angela have random flashbacks that incapacitate her at key moments showing nostalgia's detrimental effects (like have one slow her down as she's chasing Lube Man for example), and further have memories pop-up to highlight that disparity you're talking about (some modern day white privilege contrasted with something happening to Will in the past as Angela looks on at both).
I think they felt doing it in one episode was more impactful like they did with Looking Glass's story.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thing I noticed in Peteypedia... Captain Metropolis is said to be American, but in the book he was Canadian. Odd detail to get wrong.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
That and it's following the structure of the watchman comic. Each issue/episode focuses primarily on one character, their backgrounds and yet it still moves the plot along in the process.
For sure; this episode subtly moved the plot forward quite a bit. By explaining HJ's character, that probably gives Angela some clarity on what to do next; plus the mind control devices seem like they'll be relevant in the next episodes

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
That was a very intense hr of TV.

Just give it all the awards. I have no issue with a ret con done that well and that makes so much sense to the story being told.

It didn't contradict a thing in the comic. It used all the world building we had witnessed so far and it added a shit ton to Watchmen as a whole.

Just fantastic.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also loved in the TV show American Hero Story they had the mafia try to blackmail Hooded Justice with pictures of him being gay to do what they want in the same fashion the mafia actually blackmailed J.Edgar Hoover with pictures they had of him in Gay bars with men and why Hoover ignored them and famously said "There is no mafia" while focusing on Black civil rights groups. He denied the mafia and later claimed the Black Panthers were the greatest threat to US Security. They even connected Hooded Justice's lover to cheating on him with Hoover.
That was a very intense hr of TV.

Just give it all the awards. I have no issue with a ret con done that well and that makes so much sense to the story being told.

It didn't contradict a thing in the comic. It used all the world building we had witnessed so far and it added a shit ton to Watchmen as a whole.

Just fantastic.
Agreed.