• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Friday cast was mostly fine but "X character from innocuous thing is horny" is a meme/topic that really needs to go away. Luigi's dick, great. what's the joke? "Things are horny" is a bit they go back to time and again but there's nothing to be said about anything other than laughing at the notion. Not to say Waypoint is alone in this, other games media do it too. it's such a boring thing.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dug the Metro 2033 101 a lot. It's a game I keep thinking about going back to since I played it on the 360. It uses intentional obscurity the way that something like Pathologic or The Void did, but it didn't quite hit the balance between its straight ahead plot-plot-plot shooting and wanting to create some profound obscurity that might also inspire replayability.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Friday cast was mostly fine but "X character from innocuous thing is horny" is a meme/topic that really needs to go away. Luigi's dick, great. what's the joke? "Things are horny" is a bit they go back to time and again but there's nothing to be said about anything other than laughing at the notion. Not to say Waypoint is alone in this, other games media do it too. it's such a boring thing.

I haven't listened to Friday's cast yet but it is by far my least favorite part of the podcasts. It seems to be especially bad whenever Danika is on.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone is struggling with the same problem as me: it looks like episode 138 of Waypoint Radio is MIA on the main site--you can only view it via the rss link at acast.com. (Or else Waypoint's website is being extra weird today.)

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking forward to the articles about gun violence and video games from the crew.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Patrick's interview was a great listen. Anecdotally, I do get a little bit aggressive after playing violent video games so it was enlightening to hear that there's maybe a relation to playing violent games and short term aggression.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if its a cheat or not that I only enjoy violent games that are sufficiently abstracted. Like, I can enjoy something like PUBG or DOOM because "100 idiots murder each other on an island" and "space marine sends demons back to hell" are so divorced from any kind of real experience that the violence does feel like a pretty smooth enabler of power, without having to dwell on the material nature of violence itself. Because I actually can't stomach Call of Duty campaigns, and even stuff like Grand Theft Auto has never been particularly fun for me. Its too close to being real, as silly as that sounds

But is that a cheat? By ignoring the violence that feels just a shade more real, am I just convincing myself that "I only like the good stuff"?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if its a cheat or not that I only enjoy violent games that are sufficiently abstracted. Like, I can enjoy something like PUBG or DOOM because "100 idiots murder each other on an island" and "space marine sends demons back to hell" are so divorced from any kind of real experience that the violence does feel like a pretty smooth enabler of power, without having to dwell on the material nature of violence itself. Because I actually can't stomach Call of Duty campaigns, and even stuff like Grand Theft Auto has never been particularly fun for me. Its too close to being real, as silly as that sounds

But is that a cheat? By ignoring the violence that feels just a shade more real, am I just convincing myself that "I only like the good stuff"?

Meant to post this on Tuesday (I actually typed it then and forgot to post), but I've been thinking about this kind of thing as well. Personally it's not necessarily that I can't stomach more "realistic"/military violence, but it's at the very least pretty unappealing to me and not something I'm generally interested in playing compared to something more abstract or less "real"?

It's why I'm curious about the pieces that will "address the overlap between real world guns and the ones in games", since I wonder if anyone will get at something I think about a lot when violence and gaming is discussed. As someone whose parents were against guns and didn't want us playing/watching violent things besides (which loosened up when I was a teenager), I noticed around middle or high school was the familiarity classmates who played such games had with actual guns as a result. I'm sure they knew them from other media too, but the familiarity was still uncomfortable for me. I feel like games often assume that familiarity as well; when I branch out and do play games with realistic weaponry (ex: Spec-Ops) I often have trouble telling how individual weapons are supposed to differ, what ranges they're good at, etc. because I do not know what these weapons are by name and am expected to.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I feel so out of tune. Fortnite and Pubg have taken me out of gaming podcasts the last year. Tried coming back to them this week and every podcast is about celebrities playing fortnite. Lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
"Your dad wouldn't have let this happen, Shen." is the most brutal thing I've ever witnessed in XCOM 2. Every time I hear it I guffaw like a madman.

Waypoint's strategy streams are a whole lot of fun.

Oct 25, 2017
After listening to the latest podcast it sounds like Sea of Thieves just needs a different business model.
Microsoft should treat it like selling a D&D session. So maybe one person would pay 5 bucks and could invite 3 friends for a day or two. You do your pirate thing, have your adventures and then be done with it. No need for a progression system and no need to justify the 60 bucks.

Would love to hear their thoughts on this idea for games in general, but with the question bucket method of "we'll answer this in 3 months, maybe" it's kinda pointless to ask.

I feel so out of tune. Fortnite and Pubg have taken me out of gaming podcasts the last year. Tried coming back to them this week and every podcast is about celebrities playing fortnite. Lol
That stream was a thing but I didn't expect them to talk about it for 30 minutes lol.
Also, they were kinda wrong about Ninja. He was the biggest streamer on Twitch for a while before the Drake stream happened. Most viewers on regular streams and most paid subscribers, too.
Now he's way past anyone else: https://twitchstats.net/real-sub-count
And it wasn't the biggest Twitch stream ever, which I think they said. They broke 1 million before at a CSGO tournament, I believe.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
After listening to the latest podcast it sounds like Sea of Thieves just needs a different business model.
Microsoft should treat it like selling a D&D session. So maybe one person would pay 5 bucks and could invite 3 friends for a day or two. You do your pirate thing, have your adventures and then be done with it. No need for a progression system and no need to justify the 60 bucks.

Would love to hear their thoughts on this idea for games in general, but with the question bucket method of "we'll answer this in 3 months, maybe" it's kinda pointless to ask.

That stream was a thing but I didn't expect them to talk about it for 30 minutes lol.
Also, they were kinda wrong about Ninja. He was the biggest streamer on Twitch for a while before the Drake stream happened. Most viewers on regular streams and most paid subscribers, too.
And it wasn't the biggest Twitch stream ever, which I think they said. They broke 1 million before at a CSGO tournament, I believe.

The question bucket has been a joke for a while now. In general the podcasts seem to lack any sort of structure (which is fine), which results in both the advertisement break hilarity and the question bucket being completely neglected.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Ironically, someone actually asked a question like that about paying for each play of a game, as in an arcade, and it got answered in the past few episodes. So it's Sea of Thieves fault for not being out a week or so sooner, hah.

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed there's SO many podcasts trying to strike while the iron is hot, but it's clear they don't play it, but want to speak from a position of knowledge. It's unprecedented what's going on with Fortnite, and it feels like the usual gaming podcasts are just waaaaay too slow to keep up. Not singling out Waypoint - I'm referring to virtually every gamer-focused podcast out there. They're missing out.

Also play Fortnite, it's so good

Oct 25, 2017
It's not easy for the enthusiast press to grasp the mainstream aspect of the phenomenon. That's just not their thing.
It like...Bearing Magazine covering fidget spinners or something.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Any one familiar with Bullet Points & their criticism of Waypoint? - https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/video-game-guns-dont-need-to-be-fun-to-be-interesting/13595/3
(follow up reply from Austin defending them and their right to criticise, difference between abuse + criticism)
I'm not, so looking for some insight.

My googling found little bits:
https://twitter.com/hastapura/status/976938670497435648
https://twitter.com/hastapura/status/917055580220592130

Maybe partly related to vice gaming being swallowed by Waypoint and Mike being let go? (https://twitter.com/mostsincerelyed/status/889410062225113088)

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any one familiar with Bullet Points & their criticism of Waypoint? - https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/video-game-guns-dont-need-to-be-fun-to-be-interesting/13595/3
(follow up reply from Austin defending them and their right to criticise, difference between abuse + criticism)

Maybe partly related to vice gaming being swallowed by Waypoint and Mike being let go? (https://twitter.com/mostsincerelyed/status/889410062225113088)

I've seen this deference to what Diver did before, but from looking back on what Vice gaming was pre-Waypoint it was basically a few mostly cookie-cutter articles over the course of two years. Waypoint is clearly a much more focused and well-backed attempt to establish a games media brand. I didn't take any notice of it, and I'd honestly doubt if many here who take notice of Waypoint did either. Before Waypoint, Vice was just playing at being a video games outlet, to be honest.

To the issue of criticism of criticism (this is getting confusing), it smacks of fringe elitism. You see the same sort of distrust in music - if something is popular, it mustn't be good - but that is usually from the people consuming the content rather than from other content creators. When you're an aspiring writer who is taking potshots at a publication that has moved the needle on a more socially aware type of games journalism it smacks a little of jealousy. If these people were getting their pitches regularly accepted by Waypoint, would they really be so quick to criticise its overall approach?

If we can assume few are paying attention to Waypoint, the reality is absolutely no one is paying any attention to something like Bullet Points or the myriad of similar video game blogs that are really just vehicles for writers to get noticed by larger outlets and make a living. You can stake out a moral or intellectual high ground if you want, but if no one is listening what exactly have you achieved? Being accessible is a virtue rather than a black mark in my book. The more people that are exposed to new ideas or new viewpoints the better, and I can say with certainty that despite its flaws Waypoint has done that for me.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hesitant to dig in more but at a glance all I saw beyond what you linked was Astrid being critical of a few articles. I also saw Ed replying to an article of his on the site being tweeted again saying they weren't returning his emails.

So beyond that fursona joke vaaaaguely being insulting towards Danika, I guess, I don't know what was being talked about. And obviously the comment about their critique being posturing is harder to verify.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Rob talking about a photography game made me want a new Pokémon Snap.

Also as a non-American, Montana sounds like a more interesting exotic location to me compared to another Middle Eastern desert locale.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra had its first appearance on Waypoint, as a pop-up during the FC4 co-op stream.

Also, Tactical Tuesdays (XCOM 2) continues to be super tense. I really didn't think the squad would make it in the latest "save the VIP" mission, but... it kinda worked out. Between XCOM 2 and Stellaris, I'm so hooked on TacTues.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017

Every time they start joking about sexual things I become very curious about their policy vis-a-vis sexual harassment and poisoned work environment. Like...where do you draw the line?

Indirect sexual jokes and sexual conversations and sexual imagery in the workplace are clearly outlined under most sexual harassment policies, regardless of context. It's pretty clear that, as at least partly an entertainment media group, there ostensibly appears to be common acceptance that this type of material comes with the territory and that they are all cool with it. But who knows how, say, Natalie feels about it.

But numerous stories and case studies over the years have demonstrated that lots of workers will appear to be "cool" with the sexual jokes and material for fear of being ostracized from a group, being seen as a "stick in the mud", or at worst, direct repercussions for not playing along. How do we know that a member of the podcast isn't comfortable with discussing the details of a cartoon character's dick?

Furthermore, on the subject of this type of material "coming with the territory", wasn't one of the specific black marks against Vice as an establishment that they would make employees sign non-traditional agreements about the "extreme nature of the work environment"?

From the NY Times article
"Until recently, Vice also required employees to sign a nontraditional workplace agreement acknowledging that they would be exposed to explicit, potentially disturbing material but that they did not find such content or "the workplace environment" to be offensive or disturbing."

I seem to remember the crew on the podcast talking about how this, at best, is extremely unethical.

I mean, on it's face, it's pretty clear that everyone is fine with the jokes and laughs, but it's weirdly demonstrative of how an established workplace culture between those that appear to be friends can get to this point. How would a new employee feel about going along with this material? Would they feel pressured to be cool with it? Would weeding out potential employees that wouldn't be cool with it because they wouldn't be a "good fit" be propagating the common culture that we see in things like tech startups?

I'd be really curious to hear Austin's response.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Every time they start joking about sexual things I become very curious about their policy vis-a-vis sexual harassment and poisoned work environment. Like...where do you draw the line?

Indirect sexual jokes and sexual conversations and sexual imagery in the workplace are clearly outlined under most sexual harassment policies, regardless of context. It's pretty clear that, as at least partly an entertainment media group, there ostensibly appears to be common acceptance that this type of material comes with the territory and that they are all cool with it. But who knows how, say, Natalie feels about it.

But numerous stories and case studies over the years have demonstrated that lots of workers will appear to be "cool" with the sexual jokes and material for fear of being ostracized from a group, being seen as a "stick in the mud", or at worst, direct repercussions for not playing along. How do we know that a member of the podcast isn't comfortable with discussing the details of a cartoon character's dick?

Furthermore, on the subject of this type of material "coming with the territory", wasn't one of the specific black marks against Vice as an establishment that they would make employees sign non-traditional agreements about the "extreme nature of the work environment"?

From the NY Times article
"Until recently, Vice also required employees to sign a nontraditional workplace agreement acknowledging that they would be exposed to explicit, potentially disturbing material but that they did not find such content or "the workplace environment" to be offensive or disturbing."

I seem to remember the crew on the podcast talking about how this, at best, is extremely unethical.

I mean, on it's face, it's pretty clear that everyone is fine with the jokes and laughs, but it's weirdly demonstrative of how an established workplace culture between those that appear to be friends can get to this point. How would a new employee feel about going along with this material? Would they feel pressured to be cool with it? Would weeding out potential employees that wouldn't be cool with it because they wouldn't be a "good fit" be propagating the common culture that we see in things like tech startups?

I'd be really curious to hear Austin's response.

If you really want Austin's response, I would suggest posting something like this on Waypoint's forums. Maybe... carefully word it (not that I think you badly worded your post, but it has context of responding to other posts that posting there would lack) so it's clear even that you might be a new account that you're not a drive by attempt to pull some "how dare you keep operating when Vice did bad things" kind of thing, but I think you would receive a legitimate response if you did post something there.

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Burning out hard on Waypoint.

They're just getting....too exhausting for me. Everything is problematic, everything has "issues" and it's all talked about in an echo-chamber. Yes, nothing is perfect but I think (for me) I'de rather listen/read or watch something about video games at the end of my workday that is actually fun and celebratory about the medium. Waypoint works a lot better in small dosages I've found out. Because man.....its just not...a...fun place...? Patrick and Danielle in particulair are just becoming like nails on a chalkboard to me and I'm saying that as a fan of their work.

I'm having a lot of trouble connecting with these fine folks lately and it's bumming me out.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny timing with Pilgore's post and Zachny's MLB review.

The Waypoint brand:

My partner was watching me from across the room. "I can't tell if you're angry or enjoying yourself,"​

Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't take waypoint that seriously Pilgore

They're paid to write think pieces / criticism. If Rob wasn't tying the new baseball game to global warming and school shootings, he would do it to one of the other dozen plus games that released this week.

Me? I enjoy them for the well written short stories / articles they are. I do agree that 'problematic' is up there with visceral and other terms that lost most of their meaning.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They're just getting....too exhausting for me. Everything is problematic, everything has "issues" and it's all talked about in an echo-chamber. Yes, nothing is perfect but I think (for me) I'de rather listen/read or watch something about video games at the end of my workday that is actually fun and celebratory about the medium. Waypoint works a lot better in small dosages I've found out. Because man.....its just not...a...fun place...? Patrick and Danielle in particulair are just becoming like nails on a chalkboard to me and I'm saying that as a fan of their work.

I'm having a lot of trouble connecting with these fine folks lately and it's bumming me out.

Definitely feel a bit of this.

It pervades everything they cover, even the movie and game spoilercasts - Austin and Danielle really railroaded Rob on the Metro 2033 cast without meaning to, for example. He clearly liked it more than the others and I really wanted him to go to town on why that was but he only got to do that in brief flashes when the other two weren't waxing lyrical on some aspect of the story or the world. The Blade Runner 2049 cast made me a little angry for how much time was spent on the 'problematic' aspects of a film they universally really liked. They clearly have passion, but maybe it's not always guided correctly.

The worst parts tend to be when they clearly like something but fixate on a certain issue without really explaining what makes it awesome or worth talking about in the first place. I want to know what you love first and foremost and if I understand that it helps me form my own opinion. I don't want them not to bring up philosophical or narrative issues but at times the focus being on them make the games in question feel joyless and I doubt that is the intent.

And honestly I'd single out Austin and Danielle as the worst for that rather than Patrick and Rob who more than a few times have checked the run of the other two when they've went in that direction. Usually the best casts are the ones that have Danika on them because she usually gets more fun out of Danielle and Austin.

I think Austin is such a fantastic voice in the video game industry but purely comparing him on the Beastcast to him on Waypoint Radio it feels like an issue where the balance between the crew isn't right and the talk descends into industry or societal naval-gazing too often.

At times it can feel exhausting, and that's coming from someone who appreciates a good lot of what they do.

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Funny timing with Pilgore's post and Zachny's MLB review.

The Waypoint brand:

My partner was watching me from across the room. "I can't tell if you're angry or enjoying yourself,"​

I just read this article and it left me scratching my head wondering a bit. As someone unfamiliar with who George Will is, I'm not sure what's his significance or why he seemingly triggered the angle of this article. Since the article itself doesn't explain why, I'm half-temped to agree with the first half of Rob's tweet and ascribe this article as him having a moment of "How can I enjoy this game when so much shit is on the news?". I know I'm missing something, but did this article really get so dower just because the game's intro is too nostalgic?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

It doesn't help that they don't surface any of their fun stuff. Where do I even go to find their streams? Their WATCH page under the hamburger button is only showing videos from their launch week. I only ever found out about their Stellaris twitch stream because Austin posted about it on his twitter.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that they don't surface any of their fun stuff. Where do I even go to find their streams? Their WATCH page under the hamburger button is only showing videos from their launch week. I only ever found out about their Stellaris twitch stream because Austin posted about it on his twitter.

This is definitely an issue with their site. I should be able to easily see everything new from written to video on the website without discovering about it later through twitter. I think since they don't self host their video content like giant bomb does and that their CMS is clearly less advanced than the one available to GB it suffers.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This page on Twitch is the only reliable way I know of to see Waypoint's videos. You'll want an account to keep track of what's been watched. They really need a better way to surface and categorise everything, preferably on Waypoint proper. Their Youtube page is a mass of videos uploaded late, so it's not really reliable.

That said, I've really been digging the regular streams they've been doing. XCOM 2, Stellaris, and A Way Out have been 100% my jam, and I'm looking forward to digging into the Yakuza streams at some point. Their streams are rapidly becoming my favourite stuff to watch.

But, re: the pod, I've never understood the desire to listen to folks that are consistently enthusiastic. The nature of the Woopcast (which I will try to revive as a nickname for Waypoint Radio) means that they have some pretty abrupt pivots into new subjects, which necessitates prioritising a conversation around what needs to be said first, and what wants to said afterwards. Like, the Woopcast tackles subjects I don't hear elsewhere, while "fun" surfaces a lot more in the videos, and I'm totally OK with that dynamic.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This page on Twitch is the only reliable way I know of to see Waypoint's videos. You'll want an account to keep track of what's been watched. They really need a better way to surface and categorise everything, preferably on Waypoint proper. Their Youtube page is a mass of videos uploaded late, so it's not really reliable.

That said, I've really been digging the regular streams they've been doing. XCOM 2, Stellaris, and A Way Out have been 100% my jam, and I'm looking forward to digging into the Yakuza streams at some point. Their streams are rapidly becoming my favourite stuff to watch.

But, re: the pod, I've never understood the desire to listen to folks that are consistently enthusiastic. The nature of the Woopcast (which I will try to revive as a nickname for Waypoint Radio) means that they have some pretty abrupt pivots into new subjects, which necessitates prioritising a conversation around what needs to be said first, and what wants to said afterwards. Like, the Woopcast tackles subjects I don't hear elsewhere, while "fun" surfaces a lot more in the videos, and I'm totally OK with that dynamic.

I don't think anyone here has made that point so it's a bit unfair to characterise it as such.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always felt "fun" is code for "enthusiastic" (or maybe "joyful" or something along those lines) but that could totally just be me misreading things, I suppose.

It's a spectrum. I don't think anyone wants them to act like hyperactive shock jocks, but most of the people with issues today seem like they would agree they'd like the crew to at least convey their passion for a game (Into the Breach being the best example of them doing that recently) or what was good about an experience more clearly than they do in a lot of cases right now. I'd point you towards the Metro 2033 cast again, and if you think the way Rob ended up being railroaded repeatedly (despite clearly have a very different opinion of many aspects of the game to Austin and Danielle) resulted in a better listening experience we've got to agree to disagree.

To be frank, there is a tendency for Austin to overwhelm other viewpoints without meaning to by talking too much and there tends to be too few dissenting opinions in the first place so when there is one and it isn't properly explored it bums me out.

Last edited:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How you never heard of George Will?

All substance aside though, yeah their website is functionally terrible. I can't believe the Watch pad still has 72 hour stream stuff up wooooow. I didn't realize because it's been so useless for so long that I just stopped going there at all. I didn't even realize that Tactical Tuesdays is a thing since their videos don't even show up in the RSS. I filed a bug about their RSS way back at launch...

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
This page on Twitch is the only reliable way I know of to see Waypoint's videos. You'll want an account to keep track of what's been watched. They really need a better way to surface and categorise everything, preferably on Waypoint proper. Their Youtube page is a mass of videos uploaded late, so it's not really reliable
The streams usually go up on YouTube a day or two after Twitch, it's not really that late. Crazy how they don't have them as one of the main things on their home page because for me they're the best thing they do.

Did they ever say why they stopped live streaming the podcasts on Twitch?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really read articles in waypoint all the much, so my main interaction is via podcasts and video. I would love them to shift more in that direction (pivot to video if you will), but I can understand how difficult it would be giving up a core pillar of the sites founding , which was written articles from a variety of perspectives.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Their gameplay videos are usually where the fun is at.

In the Austin NYU talk they discussed how video games being an escape for most people leads to a natural conservatism in people's reactions to criticism. Rob's MLB article is an extension of that. For the most part people just want to watch people enjoy playing games. I am certainly guilty of this at times. There is so much shit going on that we need to allow ourselves a break from the real world. But having "negative" voices is important to pushing the medium forward. Maybe Waypoint needs to figure out the balance a bit better, but I'm glad they have a space to do the work they do.