• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
seekingalpha.com

Warner Bros. Discovery, Inc. (WBD) Q3 2023 Earnings Call Transcript

Warner Bros. Discovery, Inc.

Here's some quick recaps from the earnings call:

Looking across our full portfolio, another area where we see particular opportunity is in gaming where we have 11 world class studios and are unique amongst our media peers as both a developer and publisher of games. Research has shown that Gen Z and Gen Alpha prefer gaming to any other form of entertainment, more than social media, more than watching television or listening to music, more than going to the movie theater. Games will be even more important to our fans in the future, and so having this asset in our arsenal is a critical differentiator and a real growth opportunity.

As a developer and publisher, we control quality and enjoy the full economic benefits of the games we produce as well as capturing the broader franchise benefits across the company. In 2023 we've released two of the industry's top 10 console games, including the number one game released this year, Hogwarts Legacy and we still have the Switch version to come, launching next week. Our Harry Potter fans have immersed themselves in Hogwarts legacy, playing more than 700 million hours to date. That engagement helps not only our games business, but also helps build and revitalize the entire Harry Potter franchise and we know our fans want even more.

We've worked really hard on our games business for the last year and a half. And it's also a business where we have had a strong track record. Games have been a very successful and steady segment for Warner Bros. for over a decade. We've been profitable in each of the last 15 years averaging more than $400 million in EBITDA the last three years alone. We believe games is a critical and very valuable asset for the company with a great deal of potential for growth. Games has consistently enjoyed among the highest ROIs of any of our businesses. And while we're smaller than some of the leading pureplay gaming companies, our operating margins are comparable to the best of the public companies. We're clearly punching above our weight and we're just getting started.

And similar to the leaders in the industry, we've led with multiple key franchises, each of which is $1 billion gaming property. Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, DC, which is mainly Batman today, and Mortal Kombat, whose most recent release, Mortal Kombat 1 has sold nearly 3 million copies since its launch in mid-September. So we've got the proven IP and franchises, the world class studios and publishing talent and we intend to continue to invest more capital and more resources into the business.

Our focus is on transforming our biggest franchises from largely console and PC based with three-four year release schedules to include more always on gameplay through live services, multiplatform and free-to-play extensions with the goal to have more players spending more time on more platforms. Ultimately we want to drive engagement and monetization of longer cycles and at higher levels. We have put specific capabilities. We are currently under scale and see significant opportunity to generate greater post purchase revenue.

Bottom line, we've come a long way in 19 months and have built a very solid foundation for growth. I'm energized by what we've done in such a short period of time and even more so than where we are headed as a company. As I said at the outset, our industry is undergoing great disruption and while there are some key factors that are out of our control, like the economy and the impacts of the strike, we do have a very strong handle on those areas of our businesses that we can directly influence.

But starting with the games business, we've spent a lot of time over the past year going into a lot of granular detail across all of the areas of our capital allocation. And the games business has shown tremendous success, not only from a P&L perspective, really, as David said, contributing hundreds of millions of dollars to our consolidated profits, but also from a return on investment perspective. I've double and triple checked some of the metrics here because it's such a great investment opportunity. I'm stunned that we haven't been investing more into this opportunity under JB's and David Haddad's leadership here, and I think we have to do more. There's a lot more opportunity there and we're going to start tackling that.

Overall, the wizard game was a big success, same with MK1 selling 3 million copies. But, it sounds like they're going to lean more into games as a service and monetization. So for those who were hoping for more Batman: Arkham style DC games, I think we're out of luck lol.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can only imagine how greedy Multiversus Version 2 is gonna be

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Seeing as how the player base for MK1 has dropped off of a cliff because of a lack of content and the egregious monetization, sounds like a surefire strategy! Best of luck, y'all!

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
I'm so torn on WBD's gaming side. On the one hand they're one of the few that own big media IP that are happy to put some effort into making good games in those franchises rather than cheap cash grabs (they still make cash grabs, but they're expensive cash grabs).

On the other, they're utter shite in how they monetise things.

I don't know how it compares to other MK games, but that's huge for a fighter. 500k higher than we know Street Fighter 6 sold.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, they want to monetize their already overly monetized shit even more?! Why am I not surprised...

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Well I hope SS is just fun to play with a good plot. Best we can hope for.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's good that their division has been profitable every year given how sparse their releases have been out of Rocksteady and co.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
A game is simply a product where you use the power of IP and/or marketing to get some sucker to buy it and psychological manipulation to get them to spend even more via MTX.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Come back to us once Suicide Squad flops about your monetization plans.😆

Though franchises like mk and terflings world will continue to sell crazy and there they can monetize shit to kingdom come probably and people will pay.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Well, MK1 monetizarion is already terrible. I'm kinda glad I didn't like the game so I won't be there day 1 for MK 12(or 2?) to see how much worse it got.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that they do all this user research to determine that people love the wizard world and video games, but their research doesn't show that people hate GaaS and want more diverse DC games? lol

B-Komachi

Alt account
Banned
Sep 25, 2023
  • MK1 number seems good
  • Not a fan of their comment about monetization especially given they are the worst and most aggressive publisher on that front to begin with
  • Hope the wizard game flops on Switch

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised to see that MK1 is selling well. It will be interesting to see if it continues to sell over the coming months though.

As enjoyable as I find the game, purely from a gameplay perspective, it's tough to ignore how light on content it is.

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
$400M operating income when they haven't really had big releases the last few years is super impressive. Very profitable.

Edit: Obviously not talking about 2023. 2021 and 2022

Last edited:

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Surprisingly since the wizard game has absolutely no monetization other than a deluxe edition. It even has a framing type mechanic which seemed ripe for microtransactions.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
$400M operating income when they haven't really had big releases the last few years is super impressive. Very profitable.
I mean they sold the top selling game of the year with a Switch port on the way also likely to sell a ton, and Mortal Kombat 1 just released, and Lego Skywalker Saga likely still sells decently, and Skywalker Saga + Gotham Knights hitting sub services probably provided a decent chunk after the year point.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
What's interesting is that they do all this user research to determine that people love the wizard world and video games, but their research doesn't show that people hate GaaS and want more diverse DC games? lol
The people they care about are not those who whine on forums but those who spend money on mtx for better or worse

Although it has gotten insanely hard to launch successful gaas games of late so we'll see what they do when SS disappoints completely

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
I mean they sold the top selling game of the year with a Switch port on the way also likely to sell a ton, and Mortal Kombat 1 just released, and Skywalker Saga likely still sells decently + Skywalker Saga + Gotham Knights hitting sub services probably provided a decent chunk after the year point.
Yeah I should mention that I'm not talking about this year, rather the other two as they mention the last three years. Last year they had Gotham and two years ago Back for Blood I think.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah I should mention that I'm not talking about this year, rather the other two as they mention the last three years. Last year they had Gotham and two years ago Back for Blood I think.
yeah it was more the "we have been profitable every year" that surprised me a bit given that lineup from idk 2017-2021

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The people they care about are not those who whine on forums but those who spend money on mtx for better or worse

Although it has gotten insanely hard to launch successful gaas games of late so we'll see what they do when SS disappoints completely
The backlash to Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad was a lot more than just people whining on forums lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I play MK for its story but that being said, Warner Bros and more monitisation sends shivers down my spine.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Why the hell is Game of Thrones mentioned in their key gaming franchises!? Makes no sense

The backlash to Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad was a lot more than just people whining on forums lol
Suicide Squad hasn't even come out, let it financially fail before we see it's impact. And GK was in no way the MTX galore, GAAS game they are talking about...

Edit: Also the financial failure of GK, also points to people not wanting a DC without Batman like your original post implied...so it all adds up to what they are saying.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Sigh, of course, more monetization...
I actually regret buying MK 1. It just feels crappy the way that series has moved more and more in the monetization direction.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
i legit only bought mk because ive always bought mk but ive barely even played it and i dont do monetizations so idk where they are getting at we need more. fortnite was a mistake for normalizing this.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This was by the end of September, so Mortal Kombat 1 selling just under 3 million in less than a month is still impressive (especially for a fighting game). For context, Street Fighter 6 took just over a month to hit 2 million & a little over 4 months to hit 2.5 million.

Last edited: