eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you want to literally live in an uncanny valley, then sure.

That being said, I am a big believer in procedural generation being used to good effect, such as in games like Caves of Cud, Dwarf Fortress, and No Man's Sky. I think for world building and lore building, and maybe even quest building, there's a lot of interesting potential there for machine learning and we've already seen good results. But creating resonant narratives, meaningful emotional beats, characters with depth and agency... nah. You need a human touch for that, barring some AI breakthrough. Machine learning isn't good at that kind of thing, only creating mishmashes of prior inputs.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I think people are gonna forget that the reason they cited an MMO is that it's just one of the biggest game genres around for content. If a team of 14 people could make something the size of WoW then all bets are off. We'd see an amazing rush of creative ideas and projects come into games as teams could make the AI do the grunt work while the people figure out the creative ways of applying it.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I think people are gonna forget that the reason they cited an MMO is that it's just one of the biggest game genres around for content. If a team of 14 people could make something the size of WoW then all bets are off. We'd see an amazing rush of creative ideas and projects come into games as teams could make the AI do the grunt work while the people figure out the creative ways of applying it.

Yes, and that should be obvious to anyone that takes the time to read the articles. These tools apply for any type of game.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Sounds like they're trying to generate filler content, like repetitive mmo fetch quests. If those quests were not bad enough, done by a computer they could be even more generic.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some really awful posts in this thread god damn

What an understatement. I'm not even going to respond to the person most responsible for derailing the thread - and then moving the goal posts the distance from one procedurally generated planet in No Man's Sky to another - in hopes they don't continue.
Yes, and that should be obvious to anyone that takes the time to read the articles. These tools apply for any type of game.
Dude, your patience in this thread is unreal. The arguments against this have been reveling in ignorance to the point of hubris for how well they rebuff information.

Any tools that BENEFIT DEVELOPERS in creating simultaneously more expansive and more detailed worlds, teeming with lifelike populations - that shit can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
What an understatement. I'm not even going to respond to the person most responsible for derailing the thread and then moving the goal posts the distance from one procedurally generated planet in No Man's Shy to another in hopes they don't continue.

Dude, your patience in this thread is unreal. The arguments against this have been reveling in ignorance to the point of hubris for how they rebuff information.

Any tools that BENEFIT DEVELOPERS in creating simultaneously more expensive and more detailed worlds, teeming with lifelike populations - that shit can't come soon enough.

Let's just say that one good post is worth 10 crappy lazy ones for me and there are several good posts here. This happens every generation, tools get better and easier to use. I remember most developers had to make their own game engines from zero and now we all have tools like Unreal Engine and Unity, that you can learn to use for free. Machine learning is just the next step for the upcoming generation and I'm looking forward to see what's coming.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Let's just say that one good post is worth 10 crappy lazy ones for me and there are several good posts here. This happens every generation, tools get better and easier to use. I remember most developers had to make their own game engines from zero and now we all have tools like Unreal Engine and Unity, that you can learn to use for free. Machine learning is just the next step for the upcoming generation and I'm looking forward to see what's coming.
The articles you linked are fascinating! And the premise of bringing a world's population to life using simple, generated AI scripts that sound completely authentic... That's a level of engrossment unparalleled! Oh man, I hope at least SOME of this can come into play this generation!!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
QuestGenerator.EXE

"Please help, adventurer! The [mythical creatures] have been ravaging my crops and/or killing all my livestock. Please go out and thin their ranks! Bring me back [X=int] of their tusks/horns/bladders/snouts, and I will kindly pay you."

No charge for that one, Google.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If this collaboration can help smaller teams that would be awesome but It just seems like a weird way to launch something by putting the cart before the horse.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Some interesting things on how AI could be used to enhance game development.

@2:30:00

Last edited: