Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
It's not that we're eating more, that we exercise less, or that we lack willpower. The shaming of overweight people has to stop

The shift has not happened by accident. As Jacques Peretti argued in his film The Men Who Made Us Fat, food companies have invested heavily in designing products that use sugar to bypass our natural appetite control mechanisms, and in packaging and promoting these products to break down what remains of our defences, including through the use of subliminal scents. They employ an army of food scientists and psychologists to trick us into eating more than we need, while their advertisers use the latest findings in neuroscience to overcome our resistance.

They hire biddable scientists and thinktanks to confuse us about the causes of obesity. Above all, just as the tobacco companies did with smoking, they promote the idea that weight is a question of "personal responsibility". After spending billions on overriding our willpower, they blame us for failing to exercise it.

Using personal responsibility is clearly not working, IMHO.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm inclined to believe it. We all like to believe willpower is some sort of easily-manifestable thing because it feeds into the sexy idea of mind-over-matter free will and self-determination. I like to think that no person is an island, and that we are spared the worst of our impulses by the company we keep. Social ostracization, then, is counterproductive: shaming serves to do nothing but send the shamed into a feedback loop of negative habits for the sake of socially elevating the shamer.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This has been reported for ages now.

www.nytimes.com

You Really Can’t Eat Just One, and Here’s the Reason (Published 2013)

Michael Moss’s “Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us” looks at food manufacturers’ distortion of the American diet in favor of calorie-dense products that maximize “bliss.”

Best way to mitigate this is to avoid processed foods as much as possible and eat more home cooked meals.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There's plenty of blame to go around. Modern American work ethic leaves fuck-all time for cooking at home and meals at a dinner table.

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely still believe that personal responsibility is a huge part of getting on track. Yes, bad food is addictive. It's always been. Is it within your power to make better choices and stay disciplined. There are more healthy food choices available in a pinch than EVER before.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
But yes, willpower needs to be exercised – by governments. Yes, we need personal responsibility – on the part of policymakers. And yes, control needs to be exerted – over those who have discovered our weaknesses and ruthlessly exploit them.

I'm sorry but this is pathetic. There is so much information and so ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle that no one should have to rely on the government to protect them from unhealthy food.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely still believe that personal responsibility is a huge part of getting on track. Yes, bad food is addictive. It's always been. Is it within your power to make better choices and stay disciplined. There are more healthy food choices available in a pinch than EVER before.

Addiction overrides a lot in our brains. And when scientists and psychologists have been paid to prey on people since the day a person is born to trap them in an addictive food cycle, getting out is a mountain.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally at the point in my life where I have relatively full control of my diet habits (32yo). It now feels as if I have levers I can pull to gain and lose weight in a controlled fashion. It was very hard and required a lot of dedication to get to this point, and a lot of personal education.

That said, any time I have truly garbage food (I.e. McDonald's, Taco Bell) it just makes me hungry and want to binge.

It's crazy the effects these things have on us. I can eat a skinless rotisserie chicken breast and some roasted carrots (my lunch most days) with a side of watermelon and I'll be satisfied. Give me a quarter pounder, 6 piece nuggets, and a small fries, and I'm hungry in an hour.

Oct 28, 2017
Addiction overrides a lot in our brains. And when scientists and psychologists have been paid to prey on people since the day a person is born to trap them in an addictive food cycle, getting out is a mountain.

Who cares? A lot of things are addictive. It's up to you to decide what food comes into your home. We know more now than ever about what foods promote weight loss and which don't. My parents raised me and we're responsible for the foods that landed on our table. Not the so-called armies of scientists and psychologists paid to make food more addictive (which foods exactly?)

Take some responsibility for choices. Everyone knows what needs to be done to lose weight. Like who doesn't know this these days? But shit is hard and a lot of people don't want to sacrifice. Blaming government isn't gonna help anyone.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of blame to go around. Modern American work ethic leaves fuck-all time for cooking at home and meals at a dinner table.

I had the ingredients to make dinner in my cart last night before I realized I had absolutely no energy to put it together before ordering a pizza while still inside the grocery store.

An awful feeling.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Portion sizes are out of control in the U.S. One I realized that after visiting a few countries, and started eating sensible portions, I've been able to keep from gaining anymore weight.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm sorry but this is pathetic. There is so much information and so ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle that no one should have to rely on the government to protect them from unhealthy food.

When you got two kids and 12 hour work days that willpower gets zapped real quick. Hell take away the kids and it's still the same.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares? A lot of things are addictive. It's up to you to decide what food comes into your home. We know more now than ever about what foods promote weight loss and which don't. My parents raised me and we're responsible for the foods that landed on our table. Not the so-called armies of scientists and psychologists paid to make food more addictive (which foods exactly?)

Take some responsibility for choices. Everyone knows what needs to be done to lose weight. Like who doesn't know this these days? But shit is hard and a lot of people don't want to sacrifice. Blaming government isn't gonna help anyone.
"Corporations are spending billions to have their food be as addicting as possible and billions more on it being marketed to you"

"Yeah but who cares!? Willpower bro!"

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Fair enough, keep blaming the government.
Would you also say poor people just need to get a couple extra jobs so they can afford health care (for example)? Sure, it may be physically possible, but it's not ideal, and the better overall fix would be working to eliminate income inequality.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
The government didn't use personal responsibility to tackle tobacco.

Also, you personal responsibility folks know that Twinkies are cheaper than spinach. A lot of that is because we subsidized the foods that make the majority of processed foods--corn, wheat, and soy.

Oct 25, 2017

But a lot of people got addicted because they were fed false or no information in the past. There's also a lot of misinformation about nutrition in circulation. It's not so simple.

Oct 28, 2017
"Corporations are spending billions to have their food be as addicting as possible and billions more on it being marketed to you"

"Yeah but who cares!? Willpower bro!"

Like I said, which foods. Someone forcing you to buy these so-called foods?

You telling me this shit's in the fruit and vegetable aisles? How bout the lean proteins? They more addictive than ever too?

I guess I just can't stand this defeatist mentality that everyone else is to blame for our choices. It's an easy excuse to justify patterns of behavior. You have the ability to make different choices.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017

You telling me this shit's in the fruit and vegetable aisles? How bout the lean proteins? They more addictive than ever too?
They are at the checkout at the very least. So, what you propose that wee should do as a society, keep the current path?

El Bombastico

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sugar is just as addicting as tobacco or alcohol. It needs to be regulated accordingly.

This sounds an awful lot like the usual "BOOTSTRAPS!" bullshit you hear conservatives say when talking about helping the poor...

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
The government didn't use personal responsibility to tackle tobacco.

Also, you personal responsibility folks know that Twinkies are cheaper than spinach. A lot of that is because we subsidized the foods that make the majority of processed foods--corn, wheat, and soy.

I'm pretty sure you can find healthier food containing those ingredients than Twinkies.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is giving me flashbacks to my Rush Limbaugh listening days.

He'd usually be talking about, say, poor people or immigrants rather than obesity, but darn if some of the arguments aren't familiar.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
plenty of blame to go around but the solution isn't to wait for governmemt intervention as that will most likely never happen. if you want to lose weight then you gotta take charge.

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Goes hand-in-hand with sedentary lifestyles, relying on cheap/easy processed foods, an epidemic of sugar addiction, and a lack of calorie counting (you can eat like complete shit and still shed weight with calorie counting).

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can find healthier food containing those ingredients than Twinkies.
I think you misunderstand. Most Americans aren't eating Twinkies as full meals. These are additions. They are everywhere. In workplaces, kitchens, and so on.

And while Twinkies are an example. Things are more disguised as well--granola bars and so on. All those are just extra calories.

Moreover, don't forget about eating out as well. More Americans eat out these days and tracking calories for eating out is notoriously difficult.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I would be alright if companies had to issue a warning label for ingredients containing x amounts of sugar per oz. Beyond that, it really is about choices. Some of these foods are vital to low income individuals, so taxes or making the process prohibitive to purchase probably will do more harm than good.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

And if you grow up with obese parents giving you only processed foods and candy without encouraging you to build proper exercise and nutrition habits... well guess youre gonna die little jimmy.

plenty of blame to go around but the solution isn't to wait for governmemt intervention as that will most likely never happen. if you want to lose weight then you gotta take charge.

edit: nevermind I misread the tone of your post. There is certainly a personal responsibility aspect but some people are essentially fucked over from birth by their parents when it comes to diet and exercise.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, there are two issues at play:
  • What you can do as an individual.
  • What you should advocate for as a citizen.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

I guess I just can't stand this defeatist mentality that everyone else is to blame for our choices. It's an easy excuse to justify patterns of behavior. You have the ability to make different choices.
I live 25 minutes away from the nearest grocery store, by public transit. This means that I can't really grab much in the way of groceries unless I go every 2 days or so, which I simply don't have the time to do. Where I live, owning a car is a non-option. Conversely, the nearest pizza place is a 5 minute walk and a McDonalds is right around the corner.

We live in an era where just getting to a grocery store is difficult for many people. Who the fuck cares if I know how to eat healthy if I can't get to a store to buy healthy food?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anyways, relying on individuals to eventually start making good decisions to course correct on systemic outcomes is folly. If you want more people to make better decisions we as a society as a government have to create better material conditions for them to operate in.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
When you got two kids and 12 hour work days that willpower gets zapped real quick. Hell take away the kids and it's still the same.

We aren't talking about dedicating hours to going to the gym or cooking extravagant meals. You can do stove-top chicken breast in 20 minutes, and you only have to pay attention for like 3 of those 20. throw some veggies in another pan for 5 minutes and you've got a healthy and colorful meal.

If you are working 12 hours and taking care of kids I would actually suggest not worrying about exercise and focus as much energy as you can on fixing your diet first.