• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have noticed a very consistent pattern in nearly every topic about The Last Jedi and previously Captain Marvel here (and no this is not a topic to discuss The Last Jedi as this will apply to any piece of geek media the alt-right latches onto) that is very concerning.

In pretty much any given topic on TLJ (or Captain Marvel when that was coming out) someone will come along and post a link to a YouTube video that will contain typical standard alt-right talking points such as "SJW", "shoehorned PC politics", "forced diversity", and general disparagement of feminism. Things that I would think should and would stand out rather blatantly to anyone who was even half-paying attention a given video.

In nearly all of these instances when this is pointed out the person who posted the video quickly apologizes and deletes the video so it isn't that people with alt-right views themselves are sharing them here. I have seen this full situation play out at least a dozen times if not more.

So my question is why are so many people who are seemingly progressive not being phased by alt-right terminology until it is directly pointed out? We need to be better about noticing it and steering clear of it.

How can we end the cycle of having to point out when a video is alt-right, as it should be rather apparent that terms like "SJW" and "forced diversity" mean the video at hand is coming from an alt-right ideology.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They know who made the videos. They just don't care. Their hatred of a movie is more important than giving clicks to the worst dredges of humanity.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the content of the post, although it feels a bit sanctimonious to have these threads attempting to correct behavior en masse, instead of addressing the behavior when it comes up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the content of the post, although it feels a bit sanctimonious to have these threads attempting to correct behavior en masse, instead of addressing the behavior when it comes up.
It is more that it doesn't matter how many times the behavior is addressed it continues to happen. As a community that embraces progressive ideals I would think we could be able to overcome this problem.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
People are not going to pour through the history of every link they share
Maybe just ban youtube? Shit doesn't work right 99% of the time anyway

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm glad I don't watch Youtube videos about Star Wars or Marvel movies - I never get that shit recommended to me and I'm on Youtube a LOT.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes it is obvious when they use alt-right language. other times its not as easy to know. For example on gaming side there is a youtuber who makes, imo, reviews that are pretty thoughtful and well written. But they are also banned to be discussed here because... well I still don't fully know. I think supporting PewDiePie or something alt-right on twitter. Literally would have no idea about it if I was only watching their youtube stuff.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people don't keep up with who is and isn't a shitty YouTuber.
People are not going to pour through the history of every link they share
Maybe just ban youtube? Shit doesn't work right 99% of the time anyway

That isnt the only issue though, the videos that often get posted on their own should be warning flags as the typical alt-right terminology gets thrown out. No research is needed as the video itself has these issues.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
They know who made the videos. They just don't care. Their hatred of a movie is more important than giving clicks to the worst dredges of humanity.

Yeah, they are just looking for validation wherever they can find it. (Tough I'm sure some videos may be a bit more subtle about hiding their true nature than others)

I would seriously re-examine my views and opinions if the people that consistenly validate them are conspiracy theory nuts or alt-right types.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's probably more (unfortunately) a case of looking for some quick opinion backup and pulling a link that seem to agree than actual disrespect or even sharing the views.

Sometimes, one just needs to pause and check sources before posting, because while you may agree on the surface (like hating TLJ), your reasons may be entirely different and relate to something you would not want to be associated with (like TLJ being ass in its humor and story treatment vs being a vehicle for strong Women that incels/ Gamergaters hate).

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's be honest, a lot of the time they know what they're doing. It's a dog whistle plain and simple. They post the video to try and get more people to their side and when they're called out on it can simply say they had no idea the video was alt-right.

As for the people who accidentally link those videos, I say that people need to start looking at the channel video history before posting. The alt-right assholes who make these videos don't ever stop at one.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how this is a "community" problem because a handful of members post videos and then backtrack when called out on them. The fact that they're consistently called out to the point they delete them seems more indicative of what the "community" believes

Oct 27, 2017
This is a forum of nearly 50k people, from around the world, with people joining daily. I'm not sure what you think should be done, and can be done, aside from people pointing these videos out and the posters removing them. You're never going to get a complete consensus of opinion

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If you post a video here, you're vouching for the content of the video. It's not even the video poster having a long history of infractions, the videos posted contain all of the right wing trappings (as listed in op "sjw" "forced diversity" etc) in and of themselves.

If someone doesn't share those sentiments, but post videos that contain them it means they either didn't watch the videos which is just shitty to share something they haven't all the way watched, or they share those ideals and don't want to be called out for it.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't part of the issue letting right wingers control the discourse. They co-opt everything but we kind of just let them define words and phrases and images. As soon as they start using any terms we give in and attack anyone who also uses those terms as alt right.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Whenever I see a new channel on my recommendations, I make it a habit of going into the channel page of the user and see if they're affiliated with any alt-right channels.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It happens when you go to "I'm right dot com" and find anything that supports your views.

And for some weird reason, TLJ criticism videos lean heavily in the alt-right direction. There are legit gripes, but good luck finding a video that isn't trash.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't part of the issue letting right wingers control the discourse. They co-opt everything but we kind of just let them define words and phrases and images. As soon as they start using any terms we give in and attack anyone who also uses those terms as alt right.
Huh? Alt right didn't co-opt any of the terms I mentioned. There is no way to talk about SJW's in a non-alt right way and never was.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They start from "I hate this" then work backwards from there. To be fair it also doesn't help that Youtube is hell if you want to watch any Star Wars content. Even if you maneuver the Algorithm to avoid most of the alt-right shit, 90% of the comments on any Star Wars media will be about said alt-right shit.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same exact things happens in politics. Someone's probably going to get very famous with a book/paper linking modern political behavior to toxic internet fan behavior.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

I think it's more that people, no matter their political leanings, never bother to vet sources that present arguments they agree with. It's foolish and dangerous to presume that only republicans do this. Progressives can and do have blind spots to fake/bad/toxic sources that align with their preconceived views of the world, and if a video or article justifies those views, that's all they really care about.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That isnt the only issue though, the videos that often get posted on their own should be warning flags as the typical alt-right terminology gets thrown out. No research is needed as the video itself has these issues.

This is an interesting topic to me because of a recent discovery that a YouTube channel I enjoy is banned from posting their content on Era. All of the videos I like of theirs have absolutely NO inclinations of alt right behavior due to them being video game reviews and I had no idea the mods on Era felt this way about the guy. Sometimes people will post YouTube links and you cannot blame them for not knowing who's ok and who's not. It's not like there's a list we can check and see who's evil and why here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen SJW way before alt right became a thing tbh

The word existed before the alt right. I was making jokes about being a social justice bard in like 2011.

But it became weaponized as a conservative talking point when Gamergate happened. After that the only people using the term unironically are the people who hate diversity and anyone who stands for it.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys dont really care, just act like it when its convenient. Gaming side is even worse than off topic

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

I do, I give the alt-right tubers wide berth. If anyone I know brings them up as a point of conversation, I'm quick to follow with, "Yeah but aren't they Alt-Right sympathizers?" Normally they stop talking to me about it right there, and I'm have then begun that thought process in their head.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's generally people who drop a video, say something like "he makes some really good points about this" and more or less disappear. It's always a huge red flag that this is going to be some bullshit that you shouldn't click.
They know what they're doing, and so do we.