• As deep as my knowledge of game development

• I prefer oceans tbh

• Don't go chasing Waterfalls

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
20+ year old gamers still don't realize shit changes from pre-release to release

When will they actually learn about the "hobby" they love so much

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
if it wasn't downgraded at all, wouldn't that be clear just from looking at the picture

but insomniac representative had to survey the whole team?

hmmm kind of suspicious no?

bur fine. show us the receipts, post before and after pictures of the code

wait, let me guess, "we didn't archive the E3 code"

heh

#gamernationriseup
This is parody, right?

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It never ceases to me amaze me how people on the internet lust over any bit controversy. To think that this 'downgrade' issue has been blown so far out of proportion.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest different I can see from the comparison in the OP aside from the stupid puddle is the suit looks different and honestly, it makes no sense for it to be super shiny like in the older image. It's cloth. Makes it look like Batman armour or something.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
At first glance I read #puddinggate and got curious. People feel they've been taken advantage of much too quickly.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
This is really stupid.

Most games shown early are going to be dialed down by release. Fans are being stupid and Insomniac should have just said games change over development, not double down on no changes.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, then they can't promote their game until the last 6 months, because optimizing a game is a long complex process, especially with an open world game.

This isn't "we promoted a cg video as if it was gameplay teeheehee", it's the nature of development. Like people want to see what a game looks like in development? Remember how BOTW was showed for the first time after its reveal, and people lambasted Nintendo for it?

The people complaining about this shit are the precise reason developers can't be transparent about the process.

I would agree if games usually looked better than what a vertical slice showed. That's not the case and i don't see how you can argue that developers, usually, make them in good faith either and due to that deserve the benefit of the doubt. Despite what videogames show, typical software development does not progress with it gradually becoming worse over time. It's awfully convenient way of marketing a product with a superior demo version and shield yourself from critique by saying "it's a work in progress".

Didn't really look at this particular game too much but that's how i see the situation in general.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of thing makes me pretty happy I work on games which, frankly, don't receive this level of attention from so many ridiculously entitled gamers. I can't even imagine the stress of having to show a game, years early, knowing that the graphics can't appear to worsen in any way.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
For the people that have been around for a bit longer, I give you a throw back to a previous Time of Day Downgrade discussion:
0dRO7Oq.gif

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gosh.

Every time I start to feel worn down by my job, I look at threads like this and remind myself to be thankful that at least I don't have to deal with gamers

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but wonder if this nonsense is partly hardware developers fault by always pushing hotshot graphics and consumers eating it up. When you launch upgraded versions of consoles that are basically only for graphical power, people are gonna spend more and more time taking apart trivial screenshots because of how much focus is on making melt-your-brain graphics.

The game looks damn good regardless but even if this was a "downgrade" it's going to be hardly noticeable in game. This is "I don't know what to do with myself but I have the internet" levels of inane.

The fetishization of and obsession over tech specs and graphics across the board has made this a bit of a vicious cycle, yes. You reasonably wanna talk about how your game looks amazing as a selling point, and companies selling hardware upgrades sure want you to push that even more because they need people to care deeply about graphics for them to buy the upgrades. You also want them to obsess over what you show of your game, for the years before it's out. But promoting that's only going to backfire when gamers have very little understanding of what looks good/why things look good/how things look good, and are eager to get pissed over the slightest misunderstanding of something "promised" to them by a trailer changing, and so on.

The fault is with the gamers for throwing the tantrum, but there's something to be said about how this culture's been shaped.

I haven't really played much on PC for years and years, and I generally enjoy janky but interesting games, so... even demanding >1080p, 60+ fps, etc. so strongly is a little alien to me, but RIOTING over the failure to make the graphics perfectly amazing forever is just so completely fucking bizarre that it might as well be from another dimension.

How does this stuff even matter? As long is no one is outright lying to you about how the game looks at release - and even then, chill out - there's no reason to be so angry over such an inconsequential possibility. Like... even if a downgrade happened, would less puddles, a less detailed side of a building, a less shiny suit actually impact your enjoyment at all? Because if the answer is yes: please ask yourself why.

EDIT: and as always, these people are pissed over the non-presence of a puddle, but I bet you most of those same Redditors would be angry at the implication that, say, a misogynistic plot element would ruin someone's enjoyment of a game or their decision to buy it

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
This is really stupid.

Most games shown early are going to be dialed down by release. Fans are being stupid and Insomniac should have just said games change over development, not double down on no changes.

Yeah it's underrated just how silly Insomniac is being. No one but the most hardcore fanboys were expecting a 1:1 exact copy from E3 demo to release. Just say that it changed over development haha.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Look at my post I updated it. They ARE THE SAME POSITION. If the sun had moved the shadows wouldn't be there. Light and shadows are not a hard concept to grasp.

Look at the other comparisons from the scenes. The whole building shadows are different. It is a different time of day. Noon and afternoon are not a hard concept to grasp. Neither is environmental lightning that will cast the same shadows because light from outside a building can only penetrate through the windows.

Am I crazy? the pics in the OP literally just look like time of day differences with lighting.

Other than the puddle of course which is a 'who gives a shit if they shrank a puddle' moment.

You're not crazy, you are right

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not saying there's anything wrong with a downgrade, it happens all the time, but people saying people who are seeing it are crazy are too quick to defend something they have no stake in imo.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
As a (minor Indie) dev, garbage like this entire thread is embarrassing to see. Like god damn people. It actually makes me angry on Insomniac's behalf.
Lets flip it to a glass half full. The game looks so good that people have stretch like Mr. Fantastic to pick it apart. This will be all forgot by weekend after next

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's the image in question:

1mck85goq7j11.jpg
How can anyone look at this specific scene and say there's absolutely no difference? Seriously?

Of course there is, and the E3 version clearly looks better.

Now you can say that you don't care about the difference... that's up to you. But don't tell me the two shots are identical.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This thread is embarrassing.

if it wasn't downgraded at all, wouldn't that be clear just from looking at the picture

but insomniac representative had to survey the whole team?

hmmm kind of suspicious no?

bur fine. show us the receipts, post before and after pictures of the code

wait, let me guess, "we didn't archive the E3 code"

heh

#gamernationriseup

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resetera is turning into a shit show. Feels like the last days of Neogaf. Far too many trolls fighting console wars.

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the shadows the building on the right is casting toward the left, it's incredibly easy to see that they are completely different times of the day. First one is morning or late afternoon and the second gif is from mid day when it's much brighter.
That's true. But I will point out the very large building in the right hand side of the screen has been completely changed and there is no longer smoke or exhaust vents on the roof. Although it looks like there are some added birds of the tops of that building on the left.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actual children who need to sit down and shut up in here.

Don't talk shop if you don't know shit.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
i'm not saying there's anything wrong with a downgrade, it happens all the time, but people saying people who are seeing it are crazy are too quick to defend something they have no stake in imo.

Because there isn't a downgrade. What's your preferred speed of defense then?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
How can anyone look at this specific scene and say there's absolutely no difference? Seriously?

Of course there is, and the E3 version clearly looks better.

Now you can say that you don't care about the difference... that's up to you. But don't tell me the two shots are identical.
A difference does not mean a downgrade. We can say that there is no downgrade because of other examples posted in this very thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.