hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
STEM ERA,

It's 2018. How is there no cure for hair loss?
*I'm actually quite curious.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they are not exactly in the same branch of sciences

Oct 30, 2017
Rogaine and Finasteride both work to varying degrees, and hair transplantation is pretty much a done deal - although it's expensive.

You're already living in the future OP

Last edited:

SNES Jr

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can kill the Kennedys. Why can't they make a cup of coffee that tastes good?

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
We have the cure for hair loss

6s4Bsj.gif

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, we know what causes MPB and how to prevent it, the issue is that once the follicle is dead, its dead. There's no bringing it back. But Finasteride and Duasteride already do a very good job of suppressing DHT, the issue is most people aren't proactive about hair loss and don't start a preventative routine until it's too late. If the men in either side of your family have a history of MPB, you should be staring Fin at age 18 regardless if you've yet to experience any recession or not.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is a theory that it may be related to skull expansion. I don't know if it's kookey.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18789604

Currently, the predominant hypothesis explains androgenetic alopecia (AGA) as a process reliant upon affected follicles being individually programmed to accumulate dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which then causes progressive follicular miniaturisation. The goal of this paper is to suggest that such miniaturisation may result from an exaggeration of the bone remodelling process causing a reduction in blood supply to the capillary network within the affected region. The bones of the human skull continue to grow during adulthood and observations made of those with AGA suggest that such growth may be responsible for the development of this condition. Studies of human cranial anatomy indicate that frontal and parietal bone growth can account for the development of the male pattern baldness (MPB) profile and the variations that can occur in the rate and location of hair loss. Steroid hormones such as DHT promote facial and body hair growth. Logically, this suggests that DHT should stimulate hair growth within the MPB region and not hair loss. However, DHT also has an anabolic effect on bone formation, and it is hypothesised that this stimulation of bone growth will overwhelm the hair growth promoting effects of DHT. Androgen receptor sites, 5-alpha-reductase (5alpha-R) and DHT have all been associated with AGA, but they also exist within numerous types of bone cells. DHT will stimulate the proliferation of osteoblast cells and the formation of new bone. Verification of this hypothesis would imply that DHT is primarily involved with AGA through its stimulation of the skull expansion process rather than through interaction with individual follicles. Also, increased androgen receptor gene expression, 5alpha-R activity and subsequent production of DHT within the MPB region of balding individuals, may simply represent the body's attempt to compensate for the skull expansion expression of hair follicle miniaturisation. Furthermore, it suggests that MPB region follicles are not individually programmed for hair loss. A redirection of genetic research towards the identification of those genes responsible for skull shape and development would be appropriate, and may reveal the genetic connection to AGA including its paternal link.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
my cells still die yet we can facetime wtf science why am I not immortal????

Forget baldness I hope in the future we can engineer humans so that saliva produces some sort of tooth and gum strengthening compound. Sick of brushing my teeth like a barbarian.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we know what causes MPB and how to prevent it, the issue is that once the follicle is dead, its dead. There's no bringing it back. But Finasteride and Duasteride already do a very good job of suppressing DHT, the issue is most people aren't proactive about hair loss and don't start a preventative routine until it's too late.
The follicle might be gone, but we could always make a new one. We can lab-grow meat! Let's get that ball rolling. Not there yet, but maybe someday.
https://scitechdaily.com/researchers-culture-first-lab-grown-skin-tissue-with-hair-follicles/

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Isn't it already possible, just ridiculously expensive? Hair transplants; Elon Musk, Tobias FĂĽnke, etc
Yeah, rich transplants look relatively normal.

SUPER expensive to get a good one. Pretty sure the actor for Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) got one, possibly John Travolta, and definitely Jason Alexander (which is funny because there was a whole Seinfeld episode about George with a wig)

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe this is the one topic where scientists have sat out trying to fix and they'd rather people develop self-esteem and a positive body image so they can focus on more important things :P

Nah but for real, isn't it a testosterone:estrogen imbalance, down to your thyroid?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finasteride for hair loss is extremely expensive, which is probably part of the reason why no progress has been made in a long time. Pharma knows they can get dudes to pay a shitload of money over and over and over again, whereas a one-time treatment is a one-time payment.

The irony? Higher doses of finasteride are significantly less expensive.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friend had a full hair transplant done in india for cheap($5000ish I think?) and it looks pretty damn good. Plan your next vacation in asia.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I have hair loss...I sure as hell am not spending $1,000+ to get it fixed though. To hell with that.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
what year should we have had hair loss cured by? Why that year? What scientific progress was made leading up to that year that we should have had it by?

it's 2018, and people are still saying it's 2018

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finasteride for hair loss is extremely expensive, which is probably part of the reason why no progress has been made in a long time. Pharma knows they can get dudes to pay a shitload of money over and over and over again, whereas a one-time treatment is a one-time payment.

You can get a month's supply of 5 mg (which is a super higher dose for treating mpb) Finasteride for like $30

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-2081-prosteride-finasteride-5mg.aspx

Cut the pills in half and it comes out to like $15 a month.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017

I get mine from Walmart for around 45 bucks. So basically around 520 a year to avoid going bald.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Imo, I honestly think rocket science is easier than curing baldness
Success of projects in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry is measured in the 10-20% range (and that's optimistic).

Rocket-based missions have a much higher success rate, taken over the lifetime of space exploration.

Biology is really hard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get mine from Walmart for around 45 bucks. So basically around 520 a year to avoid going bald.

Yep. I used to see a dermatologist for my hair back when I was a more frequent actor than I am now, and he kept trying to write me prescriptions for 1mg finasteride. It was like $300 a goddamn bottle. The 5mg trick is so much more manageable.

Speaking of which, nothing is more ironic than a bald dermatologist trying to argue that hair loss isn't something to worry about.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
CRISPR has really great promise, but it is still just a tool. A much more precise tool than gene editing tools that have been around for many years (gene editing existed before CRISPR), but still a tool nonetheless.

The problem still is that you need to understand how to use the tool. And until we fully understand all of the underlying genetic relationships that explain a disease condition, CRISPR will be inneffective.

It should make (and is making) discovery work much easier - but it still just a tool at the end of the day. We need to know how to apply that tool.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All jokes aside, this is really something that needs to be fixed, damnit. I would take out loans and pay everything I could if I KNEW the treatment would give me a full thick head of hair again.

Like it or not, men are viewed negatively or positively by their hair. Sure some dudes look fine and are accepted as being bald, but they usually have awesome personalities to back it up. For the rest of us, we need that hair to help us!

mermaidrose

Feb 19, 2018
Hair loss runs in my family for both men and women, and I want an answer to this question. Like come on capitalism, do the damn thing.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we know what causes MPB and how to prevent it, the issue is that once the follicle is dead, its dead. There's no bringing it back. But Finasteride and Duasteride already do a very good job of suppressing DHT, the issue is most people aren't proactive about hair loss and don't start a preventative routine until it's too late. If the men in either side of your family have a history of MPB, you should be staring Fin at age 18 regardless if you've yet to experience any recession or not.
That's kind of a risky decision considering some experience permanent side effects.

StephDiesel

Feb 2, 2018
Compared to most medical problems (spinal cord injuries, diabetes, heart failure, etcc), baldness is one we actually have some treatments for, at least if you have the money....you can do pretty well with a hair transplant from a skilled surgeon.