ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Saw some guy at the store the other day asking if they had any in the back... the employee was like no we definitely do not. And the guy asked him to check.

Not sure some people really grasp how this works lmao

Nov 13, 2017
Saw some guy at the store the other day asking if they had any in the back... the employee was like no we definitely do not. And the guy asked him to check.

The classic.

723758158_koamt-L.jpg

Gabe, the character in the black hair, is the alter ego of the artist Mike, who had some absolute nightmare experiences working at Toys 'R Us during the holidays.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Yeah, that employee wanders into the back, paces for a minute, checks some texts, comes back out and goes "nope, sorry, fresh out."

"Can you check in the back" is the hallmark catchphrase for folks who have never worked in a retail shop and have no idea how it goes.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
What a douche, he should be reprimanded for this and be sent on training. Very disrespectful. This is your job, I know it sucks; I'm in the same boat, but I would never pull shit like this.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The classic.

Gabe, the character in the black hair, is the alter ego of the artist Mike, who had some absolute nightmare experiences working at Toys 'R Us during the holidays.
Yeah, that employee wanders into the back, paces for a minute, checks some texts, comes back out and goes "nope, sorry, fresh out."

"Can you check in the back" is the hallmark catchphrase for folks who have never worked in a retail shop and have no idea how it goes.

I know in a lot of cases there's no point looking in the back but I've actually had to ask workers to check the back in the past for stuff that should have been in stock at my local Wal Mart, and they would actually find that oh, it was just never stocked. I remember Street Fighter IV wasn't stocked on shelves for weeks after release. I would never be an asshole though and if they said oh it's not there I'd just leave. But way too often checking the back actually lead to a worker finding it.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I used to work at Walmart. If the employee says they don't have something without even checking, it's a 50/50. Most employees can't be bothered to go check the back. I actually asked if they had Switch Lites at one point, and the employee said no. Asked him to go check, he came back a couple of minutes later and said they were out. Went to the back myself since I worked there and found it almost immediately. They just hadn't stocked that pallet. Always ask.

And before anyone says it, this was last year and they were supposed to have been put out the night before.

Edit: Woops, meant to quote someone here. Either way, point still stands. Post above me beat me to it.

Oct 28, 2017

It's like the "I'll talk to the manager" response to an irate customer.

We'd literally do a Jerry in Fargo. Talk to the back, say some shit to our co-worker and talk back out and say that "THIS HAS NeVER BEEN DONE but I can meet you kind of half way, take it or leave it".

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I will play devil's advocate here and say that I used to work at Walmart. If the employee says they don't have something without even checking, it's a 50/50. Most employees can't be bothered to go check the back. I actually asked if they had Switch Lites at one point, and the employee said no. Asked him to go check, he came back a couple of minutes later and said they were out. Went to the back myself since I worked there and found it almost immediately. They just hadn't stocked that pallet. Always ask.

And before anyone says it, this was last year and they were supposed to have been put out the night before.

It definitely is always going to depend on the store. I had family that worked at Wal Mart who would also mention seeing things in the back and bringing it out when stuff wasn't stocked and I happened to be looking for it, too.

Customers still suck, though!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I loved being told to check the back by customers when I worked around Christmas in Toys 'R' Us.

Allowed me to disappear for 5 minutes in a busy shop.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Why? I hate it when people don't take their job seriously (he's lucky to have one these days). He's getting a legit customer and he chooses to fuck with him right off the bat. I don't see humor in that.

I'm confused at what you're seeing that I'm not. There is no "fucking with him" in this video. He answers the phone, does a normal greeting, and appends 'we do not have any PS5s' based on recent customer calls to abbreviate the situation. It's less egregious than what happens when calling a gamestop, where they usually have to mention 3 things after the hello.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? I hate it when people don't take their job seriously (he's lucky to have one these days). He's getting a legit customer and he chooses to fuck with him right off the bat. I don't see humor in that.
He's not fucking with him, he's telling him the info he wanted to hear, the customer is just being a dickhead about it.

Like, you really think someone that calls customer service reps "fucking retards" is a "legit customer?"

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China

What are you talking about, he has great customer service. He answered the questions before it was even asked! I wish I could get such service!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused at what you're seeing that I'm not. There is no "fucking with him" in this video. He answers the phone, does a normal greeting, and appends 'we do not have any PS5s' based on recent customer calls to abbreviate the situation. It's less egregious than what happens when calling a gamestop, where they usually have to mention 3 things after the hello.
I dunno what to tell you: if you answer the phone with an answer to a question you don't know is gonna be asked (it's likely, but not a guarantee) you come off really sarcastic and annoying, as seen in the reaction by the customer.

/edit: I'm done, I'm clearly the only one who thinks this.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I dunno what to tell you: if you answer the phone with an answer to a question you don't know is gonna be asked (it's likely, but not a guarantee) you come off really sarcastic and annoying, as seen in the reaction by the customer.
No you don't come off like that, and plenty of business do that when they're being inundated with the same question over and over. Hell, pretty sure if you called EB Games for a while here the automatic answer was literally "we don't have any PS5s or Xbox Series X in stock".

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

/edit: I'm done, I'm clearly the only one who thinks this.
Companies frontload information not every customer will need to their greeting all the fucking time because on average it saves everyone time. It's not a problem.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
No you don't come off like that, and plenty of business do that when they're being inundated with the same question over and over. Hell, pretty sure if you called EB Games for a while here the automatic answer was literally "we don't have any PS5s or Xbox Series X in stock".
A machine or a human answering is completely different. I'm actually surprised to read all these reactions defending the worker. The customer certainly didn't need to call him "retarded", but hey that could have easily been avoided by...ya know answering the phone normally.

Would somebody please think of the corporate image
I'm just saying do your job like you're supposed to. I didn't excpect this to be a controversial statement.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The classic.

723758158_koamt-L.jpg

Asking me to check the back for a coveted item just gave me an excuse to sit in the warehouse and check my phone when I worked at Best Buy. Certain items, I would go check because numbers weren't low enough to assume the last remaining bits weren't in a shopping cart already, but this was mostly an excuse for me to do nothing. Especially if I was the unfortunate one tasked with double checking stock counts between computer inventory and what was actually available on hand.

Those days, I damn near memorized what was on hand. A lot of the time, I'd just use those few seconds to grab some shit I was going to need from the warehouse eventually.

But yeah, those people suck.

I get something similar now that I work front desk at a hotel and people come in requesting nice views and shit and expect me to pull one out of my ass like 100 people I literally just checked in before them aren't asking for the same shit multiplied by the 5-7 coworkers I have standing next to me getting asked the same exact questions from the same amount of people.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Are consoles making their ways to store shelves? I thought it was online only this holiday. My Walmart had pieces of paper saying no Xbox/ps5 in store on the entrance doors.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I used to work at Walmart. If the employee says they don't have something without even checking, it's a 50/50. Most employees can't be bothered to go check the back. I actually asked if they had Switch Lites at one point, and the employee said no. Asked him to go check, he came back a couple of minutes later and said they were out. Went to the back myself since I worked there and found it almost immediately. They just hadn't stocked that pallet. Always ask.

I mean, this just proves that asking is pointless?
You only got it because you went in there yourself...

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding "checking the back - it's 2020. Every store should have some sort of handheld device or computer that can pull up inventory. I worked at TRU in 2015 and any employee could tell you if something was in the back without actually going to the back, since everything was scanned into a location after we unloaded it.

If an employee with an attitude says they're out of something without checking (besides PS5s) they're probably not good enough at their job to find it in the back anyway (especially at Walmart).

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Have you ever worked a low wage job like this? I have. None of us take it seriously because we don't get paid enough to take it seriously.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
A machine or a human answering is completely different. I'm actually surprised to read all these reactions defending the worker. The customer certainly didn't need to call him "retarded", but hey that could have easily been avoided by...ya know answering the phone normally.
Humans do it too. Half the time they answer with promotional material. It's totally fine. I thought you were done?

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Have you ever worked a low wage job like this? I have. None of us take it seriously because we don't get paid enough to take it seriously.

But the honor, tradition, and reputation of the great Wal*Mart might be tarnished! Oh, think of the children!

Bump that, especially during the Holiday season. It's Christmas, if you don't feel sympathy for people working retail, or begrudge them for having some harmless fun where they can have, or demand "service with a smile," I would recommend taking the job and seeing how fun that shit is.

And the hearing the same damn loop of Christmas songs for an 8 hour shift. Surprised that people don't get punched in the face more.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What a douche, he should be reprimanded for this and be sent on training. Very disrespectful. This is your job, I know it sucks; I'm in the same boat, but I would never pull shit like this.

If I rang up and the staff answered my question before I'd even asked it I'd be like "oh, thank you!".

Nov 13, 2017
I know in a lot of cases there's no point looking in the back but I've actually had to ask workers to check the back in the past for stuff that should have been in stock at my local Wal Mart, and they would actually find that oh, it was just never stocked. I remember Street Fighter IV wasn't stocked on shelves for weeks after release. I would never be an asshole though and if they said oh it's not there I'd just leave. But way too often checking the back actually lead to a worker finding it.

Having worked in grocery stores, it usually worth asking for stuff like produce and meat. That was pre-COVID days, though :\

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I took my retail jobs serious and I had fun doing it man. You can't just approach customers like that it's rude, but i understand he must be getting calls like that all day.
I don't see the problem here, I've called companies several times that have given information before hearing my question when they think it might save time. It's common practice and it's not rude.