AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I never beat Mega Man Legends, but I played it a good deal back in the day at a friend's house. We rented it a number of times, never made it that far as we were young and our English wasn't good enough to understand everything, I suspect.

In any case, that game made an impression on me. Despite only playing it for a weekend or two all those years ago, in the late 90s, I often think about it. The vibes of the game stayed with me.

First, is the market:

youtu.be

Mega Man Legends Longplay

If this comes up before segments, will split."It's like an anime!"

You can enter shops, talk to people, kick cans and even listen to music CDs! The true mall experience. All while a nice, relaxing music plays.

Then, later on, you enter the city:

youtu.be

Mega Man Legends Longplay

If this comes up before segments, will split."It's like an anime!"

That city is really small, but goddamn is it cozy. I remember running around it, jumping on cars and stuff, and thinking to myself: "I would fucking live here".

The art direction of the game is on point, as is the music. The entire audio-visual experience coalesces to create this cozy feeling. Even stuff like animations and character expressions:

579551f468625b22a0318a1c3010c159.gif

megaman-legends.gif

tron-bonne-mega-man-legends.gif

tumblr_inline_nqqq0z6SyW1sw5u1y_500.gif

Also, DATA!!

9gpxuH7.gif

Mega Man Legends is one of the games I think of when I say that I generally prefer the aesthetic of PS1 games over that of PS2 games. There is a lo-fi aspect to PS1 games that is very much missing from the generation of the PS2. The PS1 was low enough in power that its games had to resort to more abstraction and stylization in regard to graphics to convey whatever it is that the devs wanted to convey. The PS2 gen got powerful enough that a lot of that abstraction and stylization went away, either partially or completely. And that lo-fi aspect absolutely contributes to the cozy feeling.

I have never beaten Legends, and have never played Mega Man Legends 2. Capcom, please release both of these games on the PS5 so I can rectify that!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The voice acting was also A or S tier especially during that era of gaming

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The graphical style will never not be impressive to me. While most 3D games have aged like milk in terms of graphics, Legends 1/2/Tron actually have aged exceedingly well thanks to the really nice stylish look.

Oh, and Bonne Pirates for life. They are legit the best antagonists the Mega Man series ever had. Just legit hilarious to the point where Im rooting for them. No wonder why Tron got her own game!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
That city is really small, but goddamn is it cozy. I remember running around it, jumping on cars and stuff, and thinking to myself: "I would fucking live here".
Yoooo, OP are you me? I used to spend hours doing that. Even more when I got those dash boots that lets you zip around town. Used to jump on the school bus and then onto rooftops to find potential treasures too.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's my favorite series where you can see the mc react to girls losing all their clothes in front of him, kick dogs, and damage civilian property

:P

I love the Legends games, and I like how many little things you can do in them, good or bad, which are just fun to mess around with.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
it was literally just a world, where you could inhabit it and be some dude named Mega Man.

just running through the park, running through malls, kicking the cans (apparently you lose points for this on a hidden counter because it's hooligan behavior), chasing the dogs, and killing the ancient robots whenever you felt like it.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
That game is the definition of good vibes. Praying for a re-release Legacy Collection or at least being on PS+. People deserve to believe in a future where there is an abundance of water.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Two of the most beautifully looking games I've ever played. What I would give for this series to return with exactly that look. It's timeless. I really hope Capcom will make them available for PS4/5 and not just PS3 and Vita. More people need to experience those games. They're that good!

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
A thread after my own heart. One of my all time favorite games. Super sad that the spiritual successor didn't work out. I'm hoping that we at least get the two games released on PS backwards capability now that we have PA1 games in the store. Also #TeamTron.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
The graphical style will never not be impressive to me. While most 3D games have aged like milk in terms of graphics, Legends 1/2/Tron actually have aged exceedingly well thanks to the really nice stylish look.

Oh, and Bonne Pirates for life. They are legit the best antagonists the Mega Man series ever had. Just legit hilarious to the point where Im rooting for them. No wonder why Tron got her own game!

What the hell is Tron?

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I LOVE MEGA MAN LEGENDS.

Honestly, the voice acting game is the biggest thing for me. It's incredible, and I personally think it holds up exceptionally well.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
The spinoff game that takes place between the first and second game. A quick Google search would have told you that, would have spared your stupid passive aggressive response as well.
Sorry if it came out that way. I was genuin suprised. I have never heard of that game at all which is super weird.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm somewhat of a megaman fan and even if I'm not actively collects retro a actually found the two ps1 games at a yard sale (well, I have now learned that its actually 3 games).

But the thing is that I never played them besides giving them a half an hour just to check them out. Now I'm thinking of trying to play the first one.

So what should I expect going in?

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I've always been interested in trying these games out. It would probably do quite well in today's market.

It does seem like a game series that was ahead of its time. Then again, I always think that Battle Network was probably one generation too early as well.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
This game always gave me strong Castle in the Sky vibes for some reason. The dungeons in particular felt like a video game interpretation of the insides of Laputa, with some of the Reaverbot movements and sound effects reminding me a lot of the robots from the movie

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I would give for this series to return with exactly that look. It's timeless.
The dream would be a remake, or new game, that takes inspiration from New Donk City. I want a Mega Man Legends city that takes the density of the design of New Donk City while keeping its own 90s anime aesthetic.

Like, imagine this city:

image-asset.png

tumblr_ojpkofAciD1suclg3o2_500.gif

tumblr_ojpkofAciD1suclg3o1_500.gif

tumblr_ojpkofAciD1suclg3o3_500.gif

183661.gif

with the same artstyle as Mega Man Legends. Just, more advanced, but same style and feel.

I think that shit would be rad af.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
The animated faces full of expressions and the relatively simplistic geometry with bold coloring really aged amazingly.

The environments don't hold up as well, but the characters and cutscenes are way, way ahead of their time.

I remember really liking Teisel and his voice actor, but really every character was brimming with - well - character.

...I still don't understand that the hell Bon Bonne is. Did Tron build him? Is it a baby piloting a mech?

Last edited:

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man Legends transported me to a comfy, bright world when I was younger and I still love it today! I'll never forget that mall/ marketplace music.

Tremendous games!

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game then and I still love it now. Even played it on my vita a couple years back. Still holds up

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
The legends games deserve HD remasters more than like 90% of games.

Just running these games in a emulator that can render them in modern resolutions is BEAUTIFUL, just that and maybe widescreen and more modernized controls if possible and they would be perfect.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm somewhat of a megaman fan and even if I'm not actively collects retro a actually found the two ps1 games at a yard sale (well, I have now learned that its actually 3 games).

But the thing is that I never played them besides giving them a half an hour just to check them out. Now I'm thinking of trying to play the first one.

So what should I expect going in?
Mega Man crossed with Zelda.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
For those who played it, how was Legends 2? I only ever played the first Legends game. Never did play Tron or MML2.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Was it actually possible to kick the can into the trash? I only ever had success kicking it past one of the shop counters which earned you some quick zenny every time but was considered a "misdeed". Doing bad deeds in-game ruined Trigger's rep and made his body darker as consequence.

For those who played it, how was Legends 2? I only ever played the first Legends game. Never did play Tron or MML2.
Better controls, more of a world-spanning adventure that answered a lot of lingering questions about the series' backstory but it kinda loses the "cozyness" (as OP put it) of MML1's setting.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Was it actually possible to kick the can into the trash? I only ever had success kicking it past one of the shop counters which earned you some quick zenny every time but was considered a "misdeed". Doing bad deeds in-game ruined Trigger's rep and made his body darker as consequence.

Better controls, more of a world-spanning adventure that answered a lot of lingering questions about the series' backstory but it kinda loses the "cozyness" (as OP put it) of MML1's setting.
Thanks, that does pique my curiosity.
Hmm...well there's ways I can experience those two games I never tried so perhaps it's time I answer my long time childhood question of "is MML2 good??? by trying it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I was never much of a Mega Man fan, but I absolutely loved Legends as a kid! The city, as you unlocked other parts of it, was kind of a fun playground to just run and jump around in, and of course kicking the can in the market. For the record, I always kept the money from the car chase because Mega Man looked cool with the darker blue. Hated the look of the helmet and never wore it, too.

Still never played Legends 2 or even Tron Bonne, so I'd be stoked to see all of them get some form of re-release.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
It's such an odd game. It has almost nothing in common with the rest of the Mega Man series as a whole besides the main character and the vaguely translated idea of buster upgrades. And if I'm gonna be brutally honest it has a kind of dogshit control scheme (made slightly better by dual analog on Legends 2). But man do I love these games both all the same. I think it's mainly the idea of the underground labyrinths that you can just get lost for hours in, I'm a sucker for that kind of high risk/high reward exploration and wandering.

Canadian VA though all day every day.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I still love how the angles + mouth/face art was done smart to give a real anime feel; creative solutions.

Still one of my all time fave aesthetics on the PS1. I know I'm not alone with all the games with similar style up on itch.io

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
I can really feel the coziness of the city in that clip you chose OP. Quiet, serene. Not a bustle in the air. No one's trying to impress anyone. People just coming and going, enjoying what they like, and each other. Somedays the neighborhood kids might get into some silly trouble. A hoot and a hollar here or there, that's all the noise really. A scrape of the knee maybe. Somedays, theyll be running into traffic to get a lost toy. A basketball perhaps. But it's not a problem. The drivers are used to it. It won't affect their schedules. There's no consequences to worry about in this city. That carefree perspective on life is demonstrated well in that clip.

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to your thread, OP I decided to start a new file in MML1 and with some controls tweak it's been fantastic. I forgot Apple Market had 3 sections with NPCs (well 4 but screw those dogs lmao). I think it holds up pretty well thanks to the artstyle it went with. Fantastic game.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
legends was insanely ahead of its time, a beautiful mark of early 3d gaming that deserves to be regarded the same as mario 64 or ocarina of time.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

With proper crt filter there actually are many games that did age well while looking horrid in pure hd.

But mega man is a masterpiece with it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm honestly surprised these games haven't been remastered yet.

You don't even need to do much. Increase the resolution, improve the controls, and add subtitles (voice acting is excellent, but the sound mixing certainly isn't) and that's basically all that's needed.

SolarLune

Jun 22, 2021
So far the only MML-like indie game I've seen is Delta-Gal, which is very strongly MML-like, lol - Hope he keeps working on it or goes into early access or something.

I've had MML2 since quite a few years ago, and yeah, it's a lot of fun. The controls are a little awkward, but the gameplay still holds up as a 3rd person shooter today. The voice acting, cutscenes, and art direction are, indeed, very well done as well. I've never played the original MML, but it does look like a ton of fun. Hope they get an HD re-release or remake one day.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
One of the few games to really make a low poly style work. Lots of smart choices made.