samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
lJGFGNA.jpeg

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I hope…they let each movie have its own visual style.
To a certain extent I agree, but that would make the inevitable team ups harder to do.

More importantly, I hope this indicates the direction for the DCU Batman costume. Slim physique, fabric costume with light padding for definition, black briefs for colour balance.

God, I'd kill to finally get a mainline, comic accurate Batman on screen.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
If there's anything to take away from the discourse surrounding this, it's that first impressions are very important lol.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
its one picture. a still.

They shared it as the first pic ever, went trending worldwide etc... this is the tone they set for themselves.

It's not a random stolen leak photo on set.

We got depressed Superman with shaved eyebrows, ill fitting military loose rubber body armor with nonsensical trunks forced onto it. With an AI laser in the background.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
They shared it as the first pic ever, went trending worldwide etc... this is the tone they set for themselves.

We got depressed Superman with shaved eyebrows, ill fitting military loose rubber body armor with nonsensical trunks forced onto it. With an AI laser in the background.

its still just one picture. it might not even be in the final movie.

but then again its not like the internet, and these forums, aren't known for their overreactions to first looks, images, teasers, trailers...

we have also been told, by gunn himself, about the tone of the movie. the comics he is pulling from. and his own history of comic book movies and the way he writes and directs them.

i'll go off of that more so than the first picture. not liking the costume? ok. not liking the actor and his look - ok that could make sense. determining the movie is going to be grim or dark or a continuation of snyder's style off of one picture is a reach.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
its still just one picture. it might not even be in the final movie.

but then again its not like the internet, and these forums, aren't known for their overreactions to first looks, images, teasers, trailers...

we have also been told, by gunn himself, about the tone of the movie. the comics he is pulling from. and his own history of comic book movies and the way he writes and directs them.

i'll go off of that more so than the first picture. not liking the costume? ok. not liking the actor and his look - ok that could make sense. determining the movie is going to be grim or dark or a continuation of snyder's style off of one picture is a reach.

Finally someone with some sense. It's been crazy to me seeing people onlie accusing James Gunn of "lying" about the tone and story of this movie just based off this image.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023

That's the thing. This is the photo they decided to release to unveil their Superman to the world. It's a really bad picture. It's not particularly flattering to the suit or the actor. I'm not even trying to shit on the movie, it's just a really bizarre choice. Them thinking this would be a great first impression for this film is a little more concerning to me than the picture itself, honestly.

Someone in this thread mentioned Adam Warlock from the last Guardians movie, and that's exactly where my mind went too. Didn't care for that suit either.

Feb 7, 2022
The scrutiny of this movie is crazy lol. It's not a great pic but I also thought the first glimpse of The Batman was weak but I loved it anyway. Gunn has earned some trust here.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
That's the thing. This is the photo they decided to release to unveil their Superman to the world. It's a really bad picture. It's not particularly flattering to the suit or the actor. I'm not even trying to shit on the movie, it's just a really bizarre choice. Them thinking this would be a great first impression for this film is a little more concerning to me than the picture itself, honestly.

Someone in this thread mentioned Adam Warlock from the last Guardians movie, and that's exactly where my mind went too. Didn't care for that suit either.

Its not the greatest pic, agreed

But when oh when has a first image ever truly accurately display the final tonality and cohesion. I would at very least wait for a trailer before making determinations on that.

Like Im trying to think of any first promo image of any film that had cohesion to the final product. Alot of it is just test shots as quick promo.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
looking back at the old threads, this thread reminds me of when we first saw the on set Batsuit pictures for The Batman.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of all the photoshops just doing their best to make it look like Reeve's supes
Even outside of that, the background for the reveal feels like such an odd choice. It makes Superman seem so indifferent. The background for the fan edit is a lot more inspiring for just having a city in the sun with no threat being ignored while Supes slowly puts on his attire.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
With how online James Gunn can be I'm surprised he hasn't responded to people's reactions to this lmfao.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Even outside of that, the background for the reveal feels like such an odd choice. It makes Superman seem so indifferent. The background for the fan edit is a lot more inspiring for just having a city in the sun with no threat being ignored while Supes slowly puts on his attire.
I don't disagree. I meant more the coloring and it's not the first time I've seen something similar

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I just see it as a cool little Lebowitz-style tease of the suit, it's nice. Reading this thread makes me feel crazy lol

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I feel like this movie is going to be one of those things where the commentary will be annoying both ways with people hating on it just to hate and also people saying that this movie is a 10/10 masterpiece.....

Jan 4, 2021
Can we just all agree that
1. Even if you like the design, the picture, as it is composed, sucks and is doing no favors to the suit.

2. Based on Gunn's track record, the movie will most likely be awesome and the suit will look great on screen.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this movie is going to be one of those things where the commentary will be annoying both ways with people hating on it just to hate and also people saying that this movie is a 10/10 masterpiece.....

Count me as someone really just expecting a reasonably good quality cape flick that James Gunn has been known to produce. Guardians 2 is his cape film gold standard for me, so if it's close to that quality then I'm satisfied.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm in tears lmao. For their big first reveal they went with a shot of Superman casually getting dressed while a massive energy ball nukes a city in the background?!